One of those incredibly odd things...

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

One of those incredibly odd things...

Post by archonix » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:57 pm

I haven't watched Married with Children for a long, long time, and I bnarely watched it back then. Anyways, I knew on an academic level that Leela is voiced Katey Sagal (aka Peg Bundy) but it didn't really strike me until I saw an episode of Married today. It's odd, but that voice only seems to work with one eye now... it was very odd hearing Leela talk about her baby and generally being snarky. Highly odd...
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: One of those incredibly odd things...

Post by Tony_Baritone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Every time I watch "Deep Space Homer", I can't help but think, "She's only supposed to have one eye". :)
Andreas

Post by Andreas » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:52 am

Well, I know what you mean, but that happens all the time to me, living in Germany, where basically every movie and TV series is dubbed in German. So it's not uncommon to hear the same voice actor in dozens of different roles, and it's always funny to hear someone who speaks a Simpsons character, for instance, in a movie or another show. It gets worse when a movie star gets not the "usual" voice for some reason. I. e. there's a voice actor for Bruce Willis who speaks him all the time, but in one movie, they used another one - and man, I couln't help to think "that's not the right person" during the whole movie!
Andreas

Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:19 am

I feel the same way when I hear Marge's voice coming from Timon's mom in The Lion King, and Lisa's voice in "As Good As It Gets" and "Ginger Ale Afternoon". Bizarre to the max!

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:27 am

I remember when Futurama came out and I so strongly associated Peggy with Katy that hearing her voice a different character is discombobulating.  Recently, Katy voiced a wedding blooper clip show and I thought instantly of her Leela voicework.  How times change...
Orange Box wrote: Lisa's voice in "As Good As It Gets" and "Ginger Ale Afternoon". Bizarre to the max!
I can add a topper to the bizzare quotient - try watching Yeardley play a teenaged girl (around sixteenish in the film, I think?) in The Legend of Billie Jean.  :lisa:
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:49 am

There are too many such VA incongruities to mention, but I particularly remember Tino Insana (Bushroot from Darkwing Duck) doing a radio ad for bourbon.  Seemed fitting; if you had to get beaten down by Negaduck on a regular basis you could probably use a belt.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:01 am

My brother and dad occasionally watch reruns of Married, so I know that disconcerting feeling quite well, hah.  Sagal will always be Leela to me, though my dad said she'd always be Peg to him, and that was one of the reasons he had a bit of trouble getting into Futurama.

It's incredibly weird watching old stuff with other actors, too.  There's an episode of Taxi where Christopher Lloyd's character Jim dates a woman played by Julie Kavner, there's City Slickers where Yeardley Smith briefly pops up as a grocery store clerk , there's Dan Castellaneta's Megavolt in Darkwing Duck sounding like a proto-Krusty, there's the extremely ancient Animalympics animated flick where Harry Shearer does a whole bunch of voices, including a proto-Kent Brockman...et cetera.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:02 pm

Funny how I can easily disassociate actors and characters - especially with voice artists. I guess it's just hard to believe that a character from a cartoon is going to appear on a live action movie, or something. Or maybe I don't get that absorbed by movies, TV shows and their characters? :)

The only exception for me is Steve Martin. He always looks exactly the same, so any movie he makes is "The Father Of The Bride" to me.

What Andreas talked about happens here a lot: recycled voices are just annoying to me, though. I guess it has to do with actors having barely no time to rehearse and record their acting, so trying to adapt their voices according to the character is out of question. However, there is one actor that does an amazing job in disguising and adapting his voice: he was the narrator for "Thomas the Tank Engine" and Adam Savage in "Mythbusters", and even after months of watching both shows regularly, I never even imagined it.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:30 pm

Disturbingest moment ever:

Yeardly Smith in "The Legend of Billy Jean" asking wear she could get a diaphragm.
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by J2 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:04 am

Molloy the Catburglar wrote: My brother and dad occasionally watch reruns of Married, so I know that disconcerting feeling quite well, hah.  Sagal will always be Leela to me, though my dad said she'd always be Peg to him, and that was one of the reasons he had a bit of trouble getting into Futurama.
Dan Castellenetta guest starred in an episode of "Married with Children" as a gay guy who was upset that Peggy was dating his husband.

As for voices, I did see that wedding blooper show with Katie Segal voicing the clips and she did suddenly burst in with "Watch Futurama!".