A line too sensitive of the Iraq War.

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Meghan
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

A line too sensitive of the Iraq War.

Post by Meghan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:44 pm

I found this on YouTube. I only saw the episode on T.V. and I only heard the second one but in my opinion I don't think they had to even mention "Iraq" I mean, "Weapons of mass disentergration" would be enough don't you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZcXTdRGTz0
"Its The Rapture, quick get Bart out of the house before God comes!" -Homer
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Re: A line too sensitive of the Iraq War.

Post by fellranger » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:59 pm

Yep totally.  With the Iraq references leading up to it, they'd already bludgeoned the point home by the time they got to the last line.  I'm very much against censorship but in this case I'd say the censor did them a favour!  That's assuming it was at the request of F*x, they may have pulled the line themselves when they realised how unnecessary it was.  I agree with their sentiment but what a clumsy way of expressing it.  ::)
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:18 am

fellranger wrote: With the Iraq references leading up to it, they'd already bludgeoned the point home by the time they got to the last line.  I'm very much against censorship but in this case I'd say the censor did them a favour!
Agreed. This rather exemplifies the lack of subtlety on the show nowadays. The joke is already a bit over-obvious by the time it gets to the last line, but... oh well. Did anyone *not* realise they were talking about Iraq?
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Lady_Simpson
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lady_Simpson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:20 pm

Yeah that was a little obvious.
Homer: Marge? Since I'm not talking to Lisa, would you please ask her to pass me the syrup?
Marge: Dear, please pass your father the syrup, Lisa.
Lisa: Bart, tell Dad I will only pass the syrup if it won't be used on any meat product.
Bart: You dunkin' your sausages in that syrup homeboy?
Homer: Marge, tell Bart I just want to drink a nice glass of syrup like I do every morning.
Marge: Tell him yourself, you're ignoring Lisa, not Bart.
Homer: Bart, thank your mother for pointing that out.
Marge: Homer, you're not not-talking to me and secondly I heard what you said.
Homer: Lisa, tell your mother to get off my case.
Bart: Uhhh, dad, Lisa's the one you're not talking to.
Homer: Bart, go to your room.
Binky

Post by Binky » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:19 pm

They weren't censored by anyone, it just wasn't a funny line, so they removed it. Contraty to what the watermark said, that wasn't a "final air version". They can change things on the show up until the day before it airs. Al Jean even said in an interview a couple weeks before the episode that they were debating whether or not that line was too obvious to be funny and if they should keep it or not.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 am

Thanks, Binky. That makes a lot more sense. Sounds like people got the idea that it was "censored" because of its political content.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meghan
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Meghan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:05 pm

To be honest, it really didn't make no difference to me at all either way, I have seen so many things both real and satirical about the Iraq War that it dosen't even bother me any more. It just occured to me that there was just no revelance to the timeline that was suggested in that episode and to me was just a waste of a punchline.
"Its The Rapture, quick get Bart out of the house before God comes!" -Homer
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:09 pm

A Spy in Mancunia wrote: Thanks, Binky. That makes a lot more sense. Sounds like people got the idea that it was "censored" because of its political content.
"lol fox are terrorists and communists lol"
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
djwhitaker2004

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:09 am

I guess Fox or Simpsons don't want criticised by some viewers, the US, or whatever, just like South Park, which make fun of everything, even Iraq, & got some lot of criticisms. I thinking it might make it on DVD as deleted scenes.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.