REVIEW THREAD -- The Simpsons Movie (possible spoilers within)

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Re: REVIEW THREAD -- The Simpsons Movie (possible spoilers within)

Post by jenny » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:51 pm

Ok, I've seen it now, so I might as well be like every other nerd on the internet and register my opinion.

I didn't envy the writers while they worked on this movie (I envy them now I know how much it's made for them, but let's not get into that). The thing with the Simpsons is that it's so big, so diverse in theme and tone over the past twenty years, that it has a huge range of fans who all want different things from it. After all the hype and the waiting - I think I was still in junior school when a Simpsons film was first mooted - everyone wants the movie to be perfect. Problem is, you could ask a hundred people what their perfect Simpson film would be, and you'd get a hundred very different pitches. The very fact that eleven people get writing credit suggests that the producers wanted to cover as many bases as possible. There must have been a lot of compromise in that writer's room.

This is not a perfect Simpsons movie - not for me, and not probably not for many people - but it's far from the train wreck it could have been. It's a good, amusing, funny story.

Now, those who have heard me pontificate in chat might know that I'm very old-school in my tastes - I like the slower, more homespun feel of the very early seasons. What surprised me is that for the first half an hour, the movie does a pretty good job of nailing that feel. Homer and his pig are wacky, but endearing, but it's the kids I enjoyed. Lisa isn't pompous or obnoxious; she's a sweet kid who's maybe too clever for her own good. The Colin subplot never really gets developed, and you get the impression it's only in there to help with the environmental exposition and so that the producers can say they gave Lisa some screentime, but it works because it's just so cute! The scene where Lisa tells Marge about him reminded me a lot of a similar scene from Lisa's Substitute. It's nice to find the writers harking back to that.

Bart's subplot was a lot better than I could have hoped for too. I've thought for a while now that he's been increasingly marginalised in the series for some time (in what was, at the very beginning, effectively his own show), so it was great to see him with a complex persona here. For all his pranks and immaturity - nice to see them back, too - there was a real vulnerability to the boy. The fishing scene with Ned was unexpectedly poignant, but very subtle with it too.

In fact, the film has a lot more pathos than I had hoped for. I think that's what makes the first part of the film so satisfying, and I hope this is a lesson that the show's current writers are willing to learn - the Simpsons is so much better when you bring the humanity back.

The problems begin, for me, with that bloody dome. In fairness, it doesn't spoil the movie, and I can accept that a feature-length film needs a bigger scale plot device than normal, but I would have loved to have seen the various smaller strands left to develop. It's not what I really wanted to happen, but in the spirit of compromise I check in my cynicism and deal with it.

The mob scene leads to another one of those subtle moments - the scene when the family sees the five nooses hanging from the tree. At first it annoyed me because it was inconsistent (the mob say they're not after Marge or the kids before it), but the family's reaction makes it - their open-mouthed, oh shit expressions are perfect, and surprisingly dramatic. Picture that scene if it had happened in Season 11 or 12. It's little things like that which give this movie the human edge the series has been lacking lately.

So from the dome onwards, the movie becomes like a modern Simpsons episode, but much to a much higher standard. Like Adam I'm not really convinced by Homer's spiritual journey (although his epiphany about Americans and "soccer" is spot on; David Beckham take note), although it is strangely rousing to see him act the hero at the end. Marge's scene has already been mentioned a lot, and rightly so - the marriage crisis thing has been done a lot recently, but never to this level. They seem to have fixed Marge's characterisation too; she's bright and principled again, and although it's clear that being in charge of the family takes its toll, she manages it. In short, Marge has a lot more dignity than she's had in a long time. I'm starting to think that we should all throw in to get James L. Brooks to go and crack a few heads.

By the way, I'd just like to point out that I love the irony (whether intentional or not) of having the film carry a strong pro-environment message, while constantly demonising the agency set up to protect it. I wonder if the EPA will get any stick because of this film.

The Springfield universe is so big that, sadly, not everyone gets a speaking part, but the cameos are generally funny. There are a few jokes that fall flat, but not many, although the ones that are normally the lowbrow ones. Now I'm quite lowbrow myself, and I've no problem with dick and tit jokes, but Ned saying "penis" and the Alaskan woman using her tits as a compass are just crap. It's in the film's credit though that I'm genuinely struggling to think of any other mindless gags though. I don't really buy the very ending, either - ok, we knew it was always going to be happy, but if the US government really planned to nuke one of its own towns, I'm not sure the whole thing would just go away. But that's what this film's about, kids: compromise, and if you're willing to forget about nitpicking and cynicism, if you're ready to cast doubt and unrealistic expectations aside and meet somewhere in the middle, this is a good little film.
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 am

I saw it again tonight, and noticed something I missed the first time around:
Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 am

Adam and Jenny rather like it too!

Though I'm not going to see this until mid-August, my hopes are going up...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 pm

I saw this at the ghetto theater on Thursday night.  That place always makes movie watching more enjoyable.
I liked the movie!  I thought it was pretty good...there were a few big laughs, and the schmaltzy parts were not annoying.
Of course, there was some brainless crap, like the rock and a hard place gag.  That was fun to see in the theater though, the American born people were like oh snap a rock and a hard place, and everyone else was just like, Homer getting hurt = funny. ;pp

I really liked what they did with Maggie, she had some fun badass moments. 
Lisa's little romance was cute, and not annoying. Mmmmm, Irish guys.
Bart's sub plot was actually well executed.  Hooray for getting that part, just the right mix of funny and schmaltz.

The pace moved along very quickly, so it was just like watching a long episode.  I really wasn't disappointed, though I had heard a jillion reviews by Thursday night.  I guess if you are wary about this, you might be pleasantly surprised, as I was.
I want to see it again when it comes out on DVD, so it is rewatchable.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:53 pm

Aoife,

I'm glad you enjoyed it! How are things in the Big Apple? Marge and I spent a weekend there last November, hanging out with some Jaws-Buddies who lived in Queens and invited a bunch of us from all over the place to tour NYC. It was a blast.

Anyway, I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the Simps Movie one more time (4th!) just so I can enjoy the LISA parts one last time on the big screen. After digesting this film a few times, her scenes are by far my favorites of the entire film. Hats off to the writers, but also to Yeardley Smith for turning in THE best performance as the voice of Lisa...ever. I'm telling you, her voice, especially her exhilerating laugh, have been stuck in my head for two weeks now...and I'm loving it. Sweet, sweet stuff.

Dana
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:16 pm

Yay, Dana!  I am glad you had a good trip here. :)  Things are mostly hot, humid and evil here.  We had two nice days, but now it's getting evil again.

I agree with what you said about Lisa in the movie.  There was no preachy, and they had her acting like a little girl. 
I really loved how awkward she got too, but Colin didn't seem to mind. It was one of the best things the writers could have done with her in the movie.  I would have been more disappointed if she was constantly annoying on the self-righteous tip, so I am glad the movie did not go there.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 pm

Just saw meself, and I agree with all sentiments posted herein.  For me, though, Marge stole the show.  If they gave an Oscar for Best Voice-Over Performance in an Animated Film, I'd give it to Julie Kavner.  No nominations, just give it to her.

Overall, I thought it was good, but not great.  Which is kind of annoying as the potential for greatness was there, but they just didn't push it enough.  I think they should've made it more like a movie and less like a 90 minute version of the show.  But it was still enjoyable and I laughed quite a bit!  And that's the important thing.

OVERALL GRADE: B. 
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Kiyosuki
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kiyosuki » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:36 pm

I rather liked it. I saw it opening night with a huge crowd and 3 friends, and saw it a second time not too long ago as a favor to my sister. Some reviewer from a website I can't remember off the top of my head at the moment said that the show's biggest hurdle is the fact its own worst enemy is itself. When you consider how many memories people have of this thing, whether they still watch it or not, putting together a film thats a big screen representation of all that the show's ever been is a huge task but I think they managed to pull it off for the most part.

If I could sum up the whole film in short, I think its one big giant homage to the entire show. It has qualities that were in every single era of its history, and the writing styles of the staff, some of which hadn't worked on this in a while really showed their various differences. There was some pretty funny things in there, and then some not so great things. A lot of Homer's physical comedy around the beginning was kind of groan worthy at times, if only because I'm not the biggest fan of the slapstick after slapstick approach to the guy some take him down. But in general even he was pretty alright, all the characters were extremely well balanced and consistent. Even the most minor characters and the majority of the supporting cast had just that right amount of the qualities we all know them for now, and the little touch of vagueness and implying that makes them interesting with as little material as possible.

I was very happy that passed all the humor they really went the extra mile to give it a heart that felt really genuine. Of course Marge's scene with the video tape was a big deal, even some guys I know who fiercely hate many of the changes that have come into the show over the years have said that they really felt that scene. Knowing how much work went into the voice acting for that I think the payoff was great. But its not just that scene, its a lot of the little things too. Bart almost getting some strange self realization over his father and how he himself is, and how almost funny but at the same time a little painful the mob scene is. You know, call me a putz for it but I really felt bad for Springfield by the end, and how messed up it becomes. Maybe because I've grown up with this show that seeing everyone in such a sorry and oppressed condition was funny but genuinly saddening at the same time.

Maybe its a lot of the little background touches too, many of the places we know getting messed up, how forelorn and downtrodden a lot of the people seem. Little things like how the Mayor actually cowering with his wife, Moe going a little nuts, how Wiggum and Lou seem to hold it together pretty well compared to everyone, and SKinner and Edna being together for the majority of the ordeal tells like a thousand tales all by itself for such small details. I bet someone could write some interesting stuff about what happens during that time...mmmmm. And now after seeing that improvised dance number animatic on the Season 10 DVD that was deleted I feel that way even more. Everyone's about to die and they think what the heck, lets sing a song. Its such a Springfield thing to do. I love that silly town.

Well anyways, Bart was great. Just the right mix of some pretty disturbing reality-check cynnicism and quirky kiddiness that makes him right. And as mentioned many times, Marge was the heart and motivation of this film. She really surprised me.

Of course as mentioned there are some downfalls in the film, its got its flaws. For one thing, as greatly balanced as Lisa was, a good mix of a quirky kid and a genius as opposed to a 50 year old 8 year old, her story with Colin was really just...kinda there. Its cute but its just there. Like if you took Colin out completely it would make no difference whatsoever, aside from deny us the wonderful moment of Lisa punching Bart. I guess its just to give Lisa something to do but I feel like its a side story meant for a longer film.
The movie does go pretty fast and a lot of opinions I've read seem split on whether it should have been longer or if it were just the right length. I personally wouldn't have minded an extra 20 minutes of the film. I think the addition of certain scenes like maybe showing just a little bit more of whats going on inside the dome in the meantime, or Homer's rescue attempt or journey back, a little more at the end perhaps (and show what happens to the Pig which I know is a deleted scene.) or maybe an extra scene to give Russ Cargill a little more weight as a character would have greatly benefitted the film. Really pile on how messed up the town gets and maybe bring out its more endearing qualities to give the conclusion more weight, and with Russ thats another matter.

Russ Cargill did his job, he had his moments. Throwing those binoculars and having them bounce back was great. But in general I feel like he was kind of one big throwaway joke. Like he's not really a badguy more than he is a plot device. Even his commupance I feel like was meant to be a bit longer.

I don't want to nitpick the writing too much because then we'll be getting into a little more "should have been like this" than I feel like right now, but as mentioned a little more spacing of Homer's physical pain gags I think wouldn't have hurt.

All and all though despite its flaws, I enjoyed it a lot. There's topical things in this like the government, environmentalism, religion etc but to me the big theme of the movie was just simply taking responsibility for your own actions or else you'll regret it. Everyone had to in this, and that kind of general universal theme I think is what made it all work. A small part of me kind of wishes a longer version of this film were the big grand finale of the whole thing, because it seems like something that would finally change Springfield, everyone in it, and the Simpsons forever. And what better book end to the series than having them jump the gorge again and making it? But its not so this is all moot. But the giant scope of the film and just how beautiful it looks (man, going back to the TV series look is going to be tough after looking at this.), and for everything I just yapped on about I didn't feel like a giant sucker for seeing it in theater.

Its not going to please everyone, it makes itself known as a homage movie for as wide an audience as possible which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are, but for what it was it was I think it was a nice treat.
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Kiyo, I love your essays.  Please use these powers of yours to cure cancer now.
Kiyosuki
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kiyosuki » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:06 pm

aoifestorm wrote: Kiyo, I love your essays.  Please use these powers of yours to cure cancer now.
What a nostalgic post. lol

So you sometimes come here too huh, aoife?
Binky

Post by Binky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:38 am

Oh you silly NHCers Image
Kiyosuki
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kiyosuki » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:40 am

I love you too Binky.
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:33 pm

Kiyosuki wrote: So you sometimes come here too huh, aoife?
I've been on this site longer than on NHC. :)  This board is full of hyper-creative, intelligent, nice people.  Definitely stay around these parts.
...And yes, I still insist that if you started writing an essay on curing cancer, you'd do it somehow.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Saw it on Sunday, finally here to review! 

WARNING: SPOILERY BITS BUT NOTHING VITAL REVEALED ABOUT PLOT.

And....I thought it was pretty lovely, actually.  The opening scene was a little unneccessary (except for bringing about an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon that was better than the last few that've aired) because I've always felt that the audience-bashing the show's indulged in was a major jumping point.

But the movie itself?  Just wonderful.  It had a plot that actually hung together well (the pig was properly amusing and wasn't overused), Homer was only jerkassy only a few times, a plot that interwove the family together nicely (except for the Lisa subplot, which was lovely, adorable - total fic fodder *cough - but seemed to exist outside of the movie), and a serious, thoughtful meditation on these times we live in.  Why can't the show be more like this?

What surprised me about the movie was that it was dark, even dramatic in tone, for a great portion - and I found that wholly welcoming.  The sight of the Simpsons' house being completely destroyed and sucked into the center of the Earth, for all the times we've seen it burn and collapse due to sinkholes (nice callback!), is genuinely moving.  More importantly, when Marge leaves Homer - as many times as they've sepparated on-show - this one feels real, possibly permanent, all due to its tone and J.K.'s boffo voice acting (the subtle, broken way she lowers her tone when she says that she's run out of excuses for Homer is heartbreaking).  I'll woman up and admit that that scene made me cry.  I'm even willing to accept that there may be a perfectly in-canon reason for that footage to exist, that's how in-love I am with the scene. 
Spoiler
Then seeing all of Springfield in the state it ends up in.  The penultimate scene is a nailbiter because we're emotionally invested in these people, and seeing the citizens team up to make a break for it is enlivening.  Many scenes and moments were quite eerie and spooky!  What the series has missed is its gravitas, and this movie has it in spades. 

The audience I saw it only experienced one big LOL moment; the Wiggums/gun scene.

My hilights:

* Ned: *has revelation*
Homer: *fingers crossed and hoping* "GAYGAYGAYGAY"

* Wiggum: "They're China's problem now!"

...totally cheap laughs, I know....

* Anything with Moe, who was stellar throughout this.

* The woodland critter scene in which Marge and Homer horrify a bunch of big-eyed birds by snuggling.

* The entirety of the Colin/Lisa subplot.  Can we hope he'll be a regular in the series?  The hilight of their little romance:
Spoiler
* "I don't approve of suicide, but if you'd like to make a go of it - that would really cheer me up..."

* Skinner and Krabapple being together during the disaster, despite the fact that her teeshirt says he's not her boyfriend...

* NED WAS NED AGAIN!  A geniunely nice guy who cares about his neighbors and in times of crises steps up and does the honerable thing.  And when the Really Bad Stuff is about to take place...
Spoiler
*  "Best kiss of my life."  "Best kiss of your life so far..." *MELTS INTO PILE OF MUSH*

NEGATIVES:

* Why didn't they just have Rainer as the president?  I could see why they made the twists-and-turns of Arnie being the chief executive, but Rainer being president would have added a whole extra layer of canonical pathos.  We haven't seen him since the Greta episode, so it's possible he could have been elected.
Spoiler
* I didn't quite understand
Spoiler
Spoiler
OFF CHARACTER PROGRESSION THOUGHTS:

:maggie: was an absolute rock star, and if her future!job doesn't have her ending up in the CIA or somewhere equally dynamic I'll be very, very sad.

:lisa: was eight again!  And adorable when she's got a crush.  I love how the movie balanced her activism with her musicality and her innate girlishness, but was sort of dissapointed that she and Homer didn't come into bigger conflict.  Then again, Homer had enough conflict in this movie to last for years.
Spoiler
:bart: was actually a balanced figure again - caught between his juvenile delinquency and his genuine desire to have attention and be accepted.  He became the voice of reason at some point (which was really scary), but remained the bratty big brother/miscreant son throughout.

:marge: was herself!!  I completely buy her reactions here...
Spoiler
J.K's voicework is heartbreaking.  If she doesn't at LEAST get an Annie out of this I will be sad.

:homer: was a strange combination of his Pre-Season 10 and Post-Season 10 selves; for the first half of the movie he's in Captain Wacky territory, uncaring of the enviroment, victim to goofy physical humor, falling for his pet pig.  But the big transformation that takes place in his character mid-movie ties back into the Homer I loved as a child - clumsy, aggressive, a little dumb, but a family man who loves his wife more than he loves himself.
Spoiler
QUESTION: is this the first time we've ever actually bluntly seen:
Spoiler
Did anyone spot their favorite supporting players in silent roles?  I spotted Laura Powers toward the end in a crowd scene.

FANFIC PREDICTION: Lots of darkfic with a spattering of Colin/Lisa.

FINAL RECOMENDATION: It's honestly worth the money to see it first-run, especially if you've missed the "Lisa's Substitute" days; if you like an all-laughing, all-wacky! Simpsons, then wait for the DVD or the dollar theatres.  If you're a Marge/Homer 'shipper, bring tissue.  I, the person who perhaps overrates everything, give the entire production a hearty reccomendation and encourages you to come see it often.

FINAL GRADE: A.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by jenny » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:50 pm

Actually, Missy, that's a good point about the whole Marge thing. The more I think about, the more that was pretty lazy writing, because:
Spoiler
Ah well, you're allowed one cheat in your plot (they're the rules), and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story. I can live with it.
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!