REVIEW: "Neutopia" and "Benderama"

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

REVIEW: "Neutopia" and "Benderama"

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:31 am

"Neutopia:"
Spoiler
"Benderama:"
Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: REVIEW: "Neutopia" and "Benderama"

Post by Gulliver63 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:11 am

"Benderama" was definately better than "Neutopia." "Benderama" defiantely had that feel of the better classic episodes, and moved along at a good pace.
Spoiler
I agree that "Neutopia" was better than I expected...I still think Graham's Philippa and Lelan, as well as my Amos Wong were much better characters than the ones presented, but it was still interesting.
Spoiler
We had an in-law visiting, and her reaction to the gender-switched - my sister-in-law literally asked, "What in the world is this?"

I also like the fact in both episodes that Lauren Tom got more than just a few words for her character.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:45 pm

I've only seen "Neutopia" so far.

It actually wasn't as bad as I'd expected. I could have lived without the "women like shopping and stupid non-violent TV shows" jokes, but I guess it was even crueller to men. I don't like that either. Lol, men don't like asking for directions. *I* don't like asking for directions. Kind of good otherwise. Don't see why they felt the need to explain the title. Lol, Hermes and LaBarbara had sex. It's funny because who gives a crap.

*Two* unnecessary fanservice scenes in one episode? Might have been funny if they'd done one with the men as well, but no, we're not going to see as much as a man take his shirt off. No idea why.

The ending was just short of a deus ex machina.

So yeah, not nearly the worst episode I've seen, but could have been even less offensive.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:30 am

Neutopia:
Spoiler
Benderama:
Spoiler
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
sabrina_diamond
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician
Custom Title: Hippie

Post by sabrina_diamond » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:07 pm

I liked Benderama as it has the concept of Grey Goo, and nanobots, which has always been my favourite sci-fic topic, but I thought that the whole 'Bender was too lazy to work' thing was pretty disappointing, but the giant monster fight (which was reminscent of Anthology of Interest Giant Bender) was a nice recall to the past. The whole alcohol-water concept was brilliant and it was funny to see everyone in the world drunk. Although, I thought that if the tiny Benders still stayed on Earth (during the credits), wouldn't the tiny robots eat the food on Earth after while? :o

Also, the Benderama has my favourite Scary Door segment! "We now present this academic award of Science to... Your ROBOT!" Scientist: Why didn't I program my robot with 'Be careful what you wish for'?? :D

(just saw Neutopia)
*tries to get the idea of a 'nude Professor Farnsworth posing' out with Brain Bleach, but I liked Le Barbara's male body*
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 pm

I just saw "Benderama", and I want to apologise for losing faith in this show. That was *awesome*. It could easily have been from one of the old seasons, even if it felt a bit shallow up to
Spoiler
The Scary Door episode is one of the best ones so far, looking predictable up to its laugh-out-loud ending. There were many hilarious jokes and sight gags (even if the second session of mocking the giant dragged a bit). And needless to say, the plot turned out to be the kind of witty science fiction stuff I watch Futurama for. Excellent resolution, even if I could kind of see it coming once
Spoiler
And yeah, like Sabrina I thought it was a nice callback to the kaiju fight between Giant Bender and Giant Zoidberg in the first AOI.

The effects were pretty. Did the show get a discount on molten metal textures or something? First the river of mercury in "Neutopia", and now this.

I thought Bender was a bit stupider than usual when Fry tricked him.

Also, Kif must have been really drunk to find Zapp's jokes funny. But then, he's a lot more sensitive to nicotine than humans, so he probably can't hold his liquor either.

Full marks.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.