REVIEW: Fry Am The Egg Man

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Senior Control Officer
Senior Control Officer

REVIEW: Fry Am The Egg Man

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:01 am

Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: REVIEW: Fry Am The Egg Man

Post by Gulliver63 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:03 am

Agreed, not Earth-shattering, but cute. Fairly well put together story. Again, I love the little things. I always try to have a sketchpad handy to catch something for a comic, but nothing really hit me. The fast food gags were kind of cute in the beginning.
Spoiler
I really like the concept of them squeezing in a little rock song halfway through, and I hope they continue this trend.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 am

Spoiler
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: I Believe In Arthur Fleck

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 am

I wasn't too impressed with this. The plot was OK (a bit stereotypical at the start, but it picked up once they got to the creature's homeworld), but most of the jokes weren't particularly funny. I don't even think I laughed until "I was going to go yachting in those feet!". The planet of Scots stereotypes was unusually unfunny. Mind you, there were a few other hilarious jokes (the Dungeons & Dragons humour and the dusty hologram, the canary joke), they just weren't in the majority. Leela seemed a bit kooky.

I liked Mr. Peppy. He was cute in an ugly way.

The cigars thing felt like it was building up to a subplot but never really got there, so it became just a running gag. A funny one, though.

Me, I don't want any more musical montages. It's OK now and then, but lately it's like they've been one an episode (at least), and it just feels like filler.

@Missy: it was pretty clearly implied that Fry *doesn't* consider himself on Platonic terms with Leela (look at his face when she says that). It's just that Leela is prepared to leave him behind to flirt with the first Scottish stereotype with an ugly nose who comes along. Which I guess has its own problems, for the shippers. Oh well.
Are you really gonna take it like that?
Riding on the missile with a cowboy hat?

Oh, well the world is gonna end
So dance around the fire that we once believed in
Oh, wanna tear it down again, now
'Cause there's nothing left for us to bleed
Give it up, the sons of anarchy
So come around and have another round on me!

DANCE, F***ER, DANCE, LET THE MOTHERF***ER BURN!

-- The Offspring, "Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 am

@Chris: Yep, I was just wondering if that little exchanged indicated that Fry meant nothing to Leela in general. Later eps insinuate no, but they really should've mixed some of the eps from earlier in the season into this run - it comes off as somewhat an unbalanced cumulative narrative.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: I Believe In Arthur Fleck

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:09 am

As far as I'm concerned, the shippers can go take a hike, but I do wish the writers would be more consistent about Fry's and Leela's relationship. This particular scene didn't bother me so much, I was more bothered by Leela complaining about how she's single in "That Darn Katz" (I think?). As it is, it feels like either a) half the writers haven't got the memo that they're a couple, or b) the writers stuck in the ending of "Into the Wild Green Yonder" and "Rebirth" as a sop to the shippers and then decided to go right back to the status quo. Again, if they don't want to make this show into all Fry/Leela romance all the time, I can relate to that. I just want them to make up their minds.

EDIT: Kind of funny that we're talking so much about Leela flirting with Angus, when none of us said a word about Fry apparently sleeping with the Mayor's wife in "Ghost in the Machines".
Are you really gonna take it like that?
Riding on the missile with a cowboy hat?

Oh, well the world is gonna end
So dance around the fire that we once believed in
Oh, wanna tear it down again, now
'Cause there's nothing left for us to bleed
Give it up, the sons of anarchy
So come around and have another round on me!

DANCE, F***ER, DANCE, LET THE MOTHERF***ER BURN!

-- The Offspring, "Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:46 am

See, I would buy them doing that for the 'shippers, if we didn't also have Fry and Leela together in "Prisoner of Benda" and the date plotline in TLPJF. I don't care if they're broken up, I just want them to explain if they're involved or not.

ETA: How did I forget that one? Geesh, consistancy: I wants it.