REVIEW: [PABF14] Lisa Goes Gaga

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

REVIEW: [PABF14] Lisa Goes Gaga

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon May 21, 2012 1:46 am

Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Re: REVIEW: [PABF14] Lisa Goes Gaga

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 21, 2012 8:41 am

I've been asking the same thing with every single guest star who didn't, you know, play an actual role.

I don't know... did the writers spend their youth watching Growing Pains or something and think: "You know what this show's really missing? More shoe-horned guest stars!"
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Unfortunately Lady Gaga is the poster child for everything that's wrong with today's music industry...I once did a picture of Leela dressed up as her, which I thought was a cute project, but it got such a low viewership at dA that I pulled it after just a few days. Actually, in ways I thought the episode wasn't too bad...the jokes and gags weren't too awful, and it was a little interesting to see the props and visuals. Yesterday as well I watched Roger Waters on 60 minutes still filling up stadiums at 68 years of age to watch "The Wall" - kind of says something about the music industry.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Mon May 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Spoiler
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Showing up early to register my distaste throughout the interbutts! Keep in mind: I'm reviewing this as a bona fied Lady Gaga stan who generally finds her adorable/a brilliant musician/a good, helpful person in society...
Spoiler
@Gulliver: You really think Gaga's the poster child for everything wrong in this industry? She can actually belt without autotune, can play her own piano and writes almost all of her own songs. There are a thousand pre-fab acts in the top 100 now I could point to who don't do even a quarter of that (One Direction COFF COFF COFF).

/Taking cartoons and pop stars too seriously :p
Last edited by missy_misery on Tue May 22, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:32 am

Lisabella, I'd like to rephrase that a bit because I didn't mean to punch a fan in the face. But it is what she lampooned of herself last night. You'd have to admit that it wasn't a very flattering portrayal of herself in the show. I must admit that Lady Gaga is a very unusual thing to me - it took me the longest time to figure out why she went by that name. My daughter was a fan for some time...for some reason, she had no desire to watch last night's episode. I will admit that she has quite a voice...it's just this modern show thing with the dancers that I have problems with. And autotone - oy vey! I want to tear my ears off of my head every time I hear it. In my 49 years, the music industry is in the sorriest state I've ever seen it in. I'm an old codger who still thinks his Miles Davis and Yes CD's are a really neat thing to do art to. Again, I didn't mean to hurt the feelings of a fan.
David Bowie
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 am

^^Wait, you want a popular cartoon comedy to have a bisexual main character and treat it as a natural part of their life instead of playing it for gay jokes or "OMG she kissed a girl so hawt"?

Maybe in 2084.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 am

Oh, there's absolutely no need to worry about offending me; I like her but, as my review indicated, I'm quite willing to note her flaws as an entertainer - didn't you notice my distaste in regard to her decisions as a voiceover artist? And as I noted in my review, I appreciated her self-lampooning; Gaga seems self-aware enough to know her stage persona is highly overblown, which is why she pokes fun at herself here (and in other venues).

I just thought it was interesting you felt that way about her when she doesn't even come close to the apex of awful in the chicks-singing-about-having-fun-at-the-club genre (My pick for that category, Ke$ha, who patently cannot sing, at least writes her own music and has a couple of catchy hits), and when the industry itself is largely bouncing back from the party-rock/club music dearth of the last year. Gaga's live shows don't even LOOK like what was portrayed on the show; she does an acoustic set where it's just her and the piano, for instance.

Around fifty percent of the top 10 songs in the US as I type this are either rock-driven (Maroon 5, fun., The Wanted, Train), or written and performed by the artist behind the mic and is boldly creative (Nicki Minaj) In fact, the number one song in the country is an entirely acoustic song by sing-songwriter Gotye, who has quite a bit in common with the Simon and Garfunkels of the world. The top ten actually has a very interesting mix of sounds at the moment, but my two cents, and everyone has a different opinion. I think there's popular music out there for everyone, even on top twenty radio.

@Chris
Spoiler
I mean, the point of the show should always
Spoiler
but I know plenty of happy, committed bisexual couples.
Spoiler

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm definately from another time period. What I've been going for lately are two bands: Transatlantic and Spock's Beard, both bands that idolized the euro-rock bands that I've always loved. And for some reason I just went crazy for Bjork's "Army of Me"...I just saw "Sucker Punch" last night on DVD. I listen to a lot of music here in the studio when I'm doing art. I still feel bad that my "Leela Gaga" picture got such a tepid response...I'll have to dig out that sketch and post it sometime.
David Bowie
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu May 24, 2012 12:32 am

Yes, Bjork is very talented.

And you should post the drawing to your art thread!

Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:44 am

I should pull that out...I was very proud of it. I actually researched her outfits in her videos for the project. I would also like to do a Bjork project at some point...fascinating elven features...asian eyes. Tomorrow I'll hunt for those.
David Bowie