Simpsons Season wrap-up discussion thread!

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Simpsons Season wrap-up discussion thread!

Post by missy_misery » Sun May 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Now that this baby's been put to bed: time to opinionate! Chime on on, guys!

Best Episodes: Holidays of Future Passed (Surprisingly cute and well-done), The Book Job (Creative narrative, nice guest voicing), A Totally Fun Thing Bart Will Never Do Again (Actually funny and slightly touching).

Worst Episodes: Politically Inept With Homer Simpson (Terrible VA work by Ted Nugent), Moe Goes From Rags to Riches (felt wildly OOC and out of place for what we know of the Simpsons universe), Lisa Goes Gaga (Worst. Moral. Ever)

General Thoughts: A middling-but-not-sucktackular season. Some duds, but not repulsive ones. And I'd actually willingly re-watch a few of these episodes!

Worst Trends: Fox trying to make Twitter hashtag trends happen by adding 'suggestive' semi-transparent text to the screen during episodes; the WTH-ery of the show's sudden fixation on using Marge as a fanservice figure.

Best trends: A general uptick in creativity happened this season, and I really appreciate their attempt at creating emotional episodes.

What needs to be fixed: The show needs to stop being afraid of naked emotions and make those emotional moments fully sincere.

Thoughts on canonical developments I'm totally behind the
Spoiler
if it means certain parties get to have their characterization freshened up. And I'm somewhat dissapointed that the
Spoiler
thing didn't last. Ah well.

Hopes for next season: Can Skinner perhaps get a love interest to balance out his moments of patheticness with his mom?
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Simpsons Season wrap-up discussion thread!

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun May 27, 2012 11:28 pm

I agree on most of these points; I actually found "Politically Inept" kind of entertaining, and I'd slot in "Beware My Cheating Bart" in with the best episodes. I'd also like to applaud the show for regaining strength in episodes revolving around non-Simpsons characters (who'd've thought we'd ever see a Chalmers episode?).
Spoiler
missy_misery wrote:the WTH-ery of the show's sudden fixation on using Marge as a fanservice figure.
Eh, not all that sudden. Marge has been getting fanservicey bits for years now: the entirety of "Large Marge," the Fantastic Voyage parody in THOH 15, "The Devil Wears Nada," etc.
Spoiler
The info we've learned about Season 24 holds a great deal of promise, and I'm looking forward to it.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:15 am

Old Ted Nugent sure doesn't seem to get much love - my kid hates him to pieces. I'll have to dig that episode up online to see what it was about. I actually saw that guy in concert in 1980.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon May 28, 2012 10:14 am

Speaking as an unreformed lech, I quite like the fanservice. It's comforting and familiar and just like everything else on tv.

:D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu May 31, 2012 12:07 pm

@Gulliver - It's more Nugent's VA work I hold issue with in this particular episode.

@Stretch - which reminds me what we need a spoiler thread for these parts!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"