The value of critical analysis, critique and "good, but could be better" posts.

News posts and global announcements are made here. As these posts concern the entire site they will also appear on the front page.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

The value of critical analysis, critique and "good, but could be better" posts.

Post by archonix » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Greetings fellow forum dwellers!

Recently I've seen a spate of posts claiming that criticism of people's work is somehow wrong or, worse, unnecessary. In light of this I'd like to clarify the reason this website exists.

In short, we are a critical website. Joining the GFC is entirely voluntary and it is expected that members stick to certain rules and conventions during their stay here. It is the belief of myself and a great many members that critical analysis of art and writing helps the artist to improve thei skills. Granted, we aren't a school but, nevertheless, we exist to help people improve.

The GFC is not a place to get your ego stroked. People here will be harsh, often to the point of apparent nitpicking; they will also be fair. If your work is good it will be complemented as such and you will be praised to high heaven if you please someone.

There is a simple rule. If you don't want crit, say so beforehand. But remember, members might be less inclined to review if they aren't able to inform you of where you might be able to improve. And surely the chance of having a skilled writer or artists - of which we have an increasing number, I might add - pore over your work and suggest areas for improvement alongside the complements must be something to strive for.

In short, like it or lump it. This site is based on the idea of critical improvement. We are not an ego stroker, id massager, praise machine or any kind of happy-go-lucky fantasy world where everyone complements everything no matter how shit it is. Equally we are not some sort of egotistical crit-mongers determined to destroy te hopes of every budding young writer or artist. If that were the case we wouldn't have so many good artists and writers amongst us. This entire site is geared toward sharing work and improving skills. Everything else is incidental to that.

I'm going to leave this up as a global sticky for a while to make sure everyone reads it. Dissent all you like, but remember Rule 4: The admin's word is final. And nothing will change my mind on this point.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 02, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: The value of critical analysis, critique and "good, but could be better" posts.

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:11 pm

I guess this has to be answered, and let me tell you.  You are going to have a heck of  a ride with it.  Ok, here it goes:  I agree.  ;)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Re: The value of critical analysis, critique and "good, but could be better" posts.

Post by zekeprower » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:38 pm

words spoken from a true lionhearted leader. well said and right. that is how the site should be run.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:43 pm

From now on, I will try to write more meaningful, longer posts. Starting with this one. I have made several short, boring, or even agitating posts for quite a while. I was not used to making big, but few posts. This website obviously prefers quality over quantity. I respect that. So, in conclusion, I will do my best to write long posts. I won't stop the frequency of my posts, though, so don't count on that! :)
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:59 pm

To Graham:

THANK YOU.

Sincerely, Missy  :lisa:
Last edited by missygal21880 on Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Yeah, I remember when I wrote those stupid meaningless posts like "ME MAKE POST" among other things. Those were absolutely shameless. I feel really embarassed about them now. So, You're welcome!
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:38 pm

Lisalover1 wrote: Yeah, I remember when I wrote those stupid meaningless posts like "ME MAKE POST" among other things. Those were absolutely shameless. I feel really embarassed about them now. So, You're welcome!
Sorry, I was speaking to Graham specifically.  Not you.  What Graham said struck a chord with me, because I specifically come to this board to get good concrit, attempt to give it, and share opinions with grown-ups.  His re-affirmation gave me a spiritual boost, is all.