Ever biggerish update of bigness!

News posts and global announcements are made here. As these posts concern the entire site they will also appear on the front page.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Ever biggerish update of bigness!

Post by archonix » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:21 pm

New gallery!

Yes! I know! But it's true, I actually finished something for a change.

So there will be bugs, I'm not going to pretend that it's perfect, and I bet there'll be a few complaints too but that's to be expected. You now have the ability to upload images completely independent of the forum attachments, with the option to add some comment or other (still a couple of bugs there - linebreaks? Smileys? I've heard of them...), as well as whether or not you want your image to show up in the "main" gallery or just be in your own personal gallery, which is accessible from your newly fudged around profile. It's early days, obviously, and for now all you get is that basic functionality but I've heard the request from numerous soruces for a way to upload images that doesn't show them up on the front page, and is different from the attachments. So there it is.

Things to remember: Only images can be uploaded. I'm working on a completely separate system for other files just to make maintenance easier. In fact at the moment, only png, jpeg and gif (I think) can be uploaded. I limited this on purpose, because I'm a bast- er... because I'm testing things. Yeah. That's it.

When the image is uploaded you'll have a couple of options for sharing. At the moment that's limited to just plain old bbcode, but in my quest to perfectly copy every possible element of deviantArt (note: this is a lie) there will be more sharing options in the future. Also you will find that uploads don't work without javascript. I am aware that not everyone will be happy with this. I am going to provide a means to upload without having to use javascript very soon, so please be patient.

And that's about it really.

Currently tested in Konqueror, chrome, IE8 and Firefox and it works reasonably well in all of them. Except images don't show up in konqueror/chrome for some reason. Booo! This seems to be a problem with the javascript which I'll get fixed very quickly. Hooray!

Oh, one last thing actually: IE6 compatibility is completely and utterly not there. Since it seems nobody is using IE6 to access the site I don't see this as a huge problem, but if you are using IE6 and you really have no other choice, let me know and I'll see if I can fix things a bit.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Ever biggerish update of bigness!

Post by kaspired » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:57 pm

Cool! Looking foward to it. Where is this untried beast?
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Up at the top where it says "Gallery".
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm

Oh...

Well, that's just way too flippin' easy.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.