SOPA on a ropa

News posts and global announcements are made here. As these posts concern the entire site they will also appear on the front page.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

SOPA on a ropa

Post by archonix » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:04 pm

We don't have this SOPA thing in the UK (for obvious reasons) but there are numerous laws like it, and they have distinct and detrimental effects onthe way people interact with each other. When you can face jail for innocent actions that are only illegal because someone doesn't like them, you tend to be wary of who you talk to and what you say. It takes away your freedom to speak.

SOPA, and its Senate counterpart PIPA, using the excuse of media "piracy", are a thinly veiled attempt to control the flow of information on the internet. They threaten both the free speech rights of internet uses and their technical security - they powers demanded by these bills will break current attempts to increase the security of DNS requests and won't stop any of the things they claim to prevent.

When the state attempts to limit your access to information it is taking away your freedom; not only your right to free speech, but your ability to make informed decisions and to listen to opposing ideas will be taken away as well.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: SOPA on a ropa

Post by Gulliver63 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 pm

Gives me the creeps...I'm just now reading Heinlein's "Revolt in 2100," and it sounds like something from the book.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:15 pm

I was wondering if you might do something like this. I heartily approve :)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Very well done Sir, I approve.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes, this is something we all need to consider, and take action upon.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:50 pm

I almost cracked a joke about "V-Giny," but I didn't feel it appropriate; it does make one think of that satellite shooting black goo at anything it deems indecent. I may not always be happy with everything that floats around out here in cyberspace, but places like Iran and Egypt have shown how important that a free place to express yourself can be. May there always be that free little bit of space...
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Tony_Baritone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:36 pm

My splash of cold water is that enough senators and congresspersons will vote for this knowing that they can just blame the other party for it, and enough of their boneheaded constituents will buy it and let them get away with it.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Unfortunately there wil be plenty on both sides of the house who will support it. The internet scares the shit out of most politicians, partly because it has gone a long way to blowing their "relationship" with the mainstream media right out of the water. Hopefully there will be enough of a backlash to convince them that backing this legislation will do them more harm than good. I therefore heartily support this action.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

Good show, sir Graham!

I'm stocking up on torches and pitchforks, just in case.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I know our lot are watching this with itchy fingers jus waiting to write up their own version. In fact I'm pretty sure there's a draft directive worming it's way through the EU legislation mill as we speak, to which our own pols can add lots and lots of revenue-generating boilerplate and gilding.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:06 am

I can say that there is at least one senator out there who is listening.

Senator John Boozman of my home state of Arkansas released the following statement:
Over the past few weeks, the chorus of concerns over Congressional efforts to address online piracy has intensified. I can say, with all honesty, that the feedback I received from Arkansans has been overwhelmingly in opposition to the Senate bill (S.968, the PROTECT IP Act) in its current form. That is why I am announcing today that I intend to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act.

I will have my name removed as a co-sponsor of the bill and plan to vote against it if Majority Leader Reid brings it to the floor in its current form.

The PROTECT IP Act seeks to address an issue that is of vital importance to the future of intellectual property rights in the modern era. However, the concerns regarding the unintended consequences of this particular bill are legitimate. Therefore, we should not rush to pass this bill, rather we should be working to find another solution so that the epidemic of online piracy is addressed in a manner that ensures innovation and free speech is protected. I have confidence that we can do this, but not as the PROTECT IP Act stands today.

Online piracy hinders creativity and steals jobs. Much of this criminal behavior comes from rogue websites operating in countries like Russia and China. Their ability to operate threatens American ingenuity by distributing copyrighted material free of charge. We must work to ensure that copyright holders are protected if we want to defend American ingenuity, ideas and artwork.

The goals of the Protect IP Act are commendable, but the potential for damaging unintended consequences is its major flaw. Moving forward, I will work with my colleagues, the stakeholders and the American people to find a workable solution that protects intellectual property rights while promoting an open and vibrant Internet.

I want to thank you for raising your concerns about this bill. Your voice has been heard.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:43 pm

I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!