THOH - Timeline of Horror

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

THOH - Timeline of Horror

Post by Hellfish » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:13 am

Yay, a FINISHED script! :)
The reason I didn't post it in the reviews section is that it involves some "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" stuff that I'm not 100% sure about (It's been quite a while since I read those books) so if I made a mistake somewhere, just shout! :)

Also note, that having read "Hitchhikers" helps a bit.It's not a requirement, but it helps. Having watched at least a majority of the canon THOH's helps alot,too.

Enjoy, and thanks for all the fish!
Attachments
THOH-Timeline_of_Horror.rtf
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
Dagdamor

Re:THOH - Timeline of Horror

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:41 am

(warning, spoilers ahead)

Okay, what to say? First, it's original. Very original. A collection of different THOHs in one story... it's unusual enough to work. The writing is good, and some descriptions are just great imo. The only nitpick I have is the constantly missing space after commas. But this can be fixed with only one search/replace operation. :) Some really funny jokes there, my respect, I particularly liked the moment from the very beginning (fridge's contents) and that one:
HOMER's BRAIN
Uh-oh.. Ehm, just smile and say yes.
Just LOL. :D
The ending is a bit confusing, but this is THOH, so it's okay I guess.
Overall - nice story, not too big but interesting to read. Good work!
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

Hehe,thanks. I'll clean the commas and upload again. :)
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:50 pm

Always nice to see a new THOH script!

OK, I haven't read the Hitchhiker books in a while, so I might not be able to correct any mistakes. Just so you know.

It should be "2 days' time".

Funny opening, particularly Bart's line and the IOU's.

(Hmm... Lisa using the soda for an experiment, might this be foreshadowing? Heh heh.)

In fact, this continues funny. Oooh, Restaurant at the End of the Universe! I really like the leaflet.

You missed the spaces before the parentheses in the bit where Lisa reads the leaflet.

I'd love for this episode to be on TV, if only for the display of cosmic destruction.

Nice (if confusing) stuff with the time, particularly Homer's line about food that can be eaten in less than twenty minutes.

OK, some cases of missing the space after punctuation.

Hmm, I *really* don't like that "Hex and the City" short, but I guess that can't be held against you.

*Nor* Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl. Sheesh, I like this story, but why do you keep reference the THOH's I didn't like? :)

*Nor* "Starship Poopers"... though Kang is always a good thing.

*Nor* "I Know What You Diddily-Did" (or whatever), particularly. I haven't seen "House of Whacks", though.

Yay, "The Devil and Homer Simpson"! Finally, you're getting to the *good* ones!

I'm not sure, but Homer's "Just smile and say yes" seems a bit recycled.

And again yay, "Bart Simpson's Dracula"!

Good ending. Marvin!

Well... what can I say? I may have been overly negative, but that's because most of the THOH specials you referenced weren't particular favourites of mine. The idea is absolutely brilliant (and makes me slightly jealous that I didn't think of it first), and the execution isn't bad, though the plot is a bit slight. (No, I can't think of anything better.) There also aren't very many laugh-out-loud lines, though Bart's "Stock's up!" and Frink's mentioning an ever-present dimensional rift came close. Still, recommendable.

I couldn't spot any particular errors. (Then again, I never pretended to understand the time paradox stuff in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe".)

Someone should do fanart for it.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:20 pm

Immaterial wrote: Always nice to see a new THOH script!

OK, I haven't read the Hitchhiker books in a while, so I might not be able to correct any mistakes. Just so you know.
Always nice to have a story reviewed.Thanks! :)
Immaterial wrote: It should be "2 days' time".
There goes my english grades.. ::)
Immaterial wrote:
Funny opening, particularly Bart's line and the IOU's.

(Hmm... Lisa using the soda for an experiment, might this be foreshadowing? Heh heh.)
I didn't think of that... That's ANOTHER THOH reference!
Immaterial wrote: In fact, this continues funny. Oooh, Restaurant at the End of the Universe! I really like the leaflet.

You missed the spaces before the parentheses in the bit where Lisa reads the leaflet.
Can I blame this on english not being my first language? ;)
Immaterial wrote: I'd love for this episode to be on TV, if only for the display of cosmic destruction.
Believe, I'd love that too.. :)
Immaterial wrote: Nice (if confusing) stuff with the time, particularly Homer's line about food that can be eaten in less than twenty minutes.

OK, some cases of missing the space after punctuation.
I don't know why, but that problem seems to haunt me..
Immaterial wrote: Hmm, I *really* don't like that "Hex and the City" short, but I guess that can't be held against you.

*Nor* Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl. Sheesh, I like this story, but why do you keep reference the THOH's I didn't like? :)

*Nor* "Starship Poopers"... though Kang is always a good thing.

*Nor* "I Know What You Diddily-Did" (or whatever), particularly. I haven't seen "House of Whacks", though.
Hmm, House of Whacks is in the same THOH as Hex in the city so unless you walked out on an episode (Blasphemy! ;)) you should've seen it..
Immaterial wrote: Yay, "The Devil and Homer Simpson"! Finally, you're getting to the *good* ones!

I'm not sure, but Homer's "Just smile and say yes" seems a bit recycled.

And again yay, "Bart Simpson's Dracula"!

Good ending. Marvin!
You don't think it was too 'specialized'? I wasn't sure how many would actually recognize him..
Immaterial wrote: Well... what can I say? I may have been overly negative, but that's because most of the THOH specials you referenced weren't particular favourites of mine. The idea is absolutely brilliant (and makes me slightly jealous that I didn't think of it first), and the execution isn't bad, though the plot is a bit slight. (No, I can't think of anything better.) There also aren't very many laugh-out-loud lines, though Bart's "Stock's up!" and Frink's mentioning an ever-present dimensional rift came close. Still, recommendable.
Nonsense 1: Overly negative. Let's put it like this: 'I no longer fear hell, for I have been to emulator forums.'
Nonsense2: I read "Palmyra" and it tells me there's not many subjects you couldn't write an exciting story about.
Immaterial wrote: I couldn't spot any particular errors. (Then again, I never pretended to understand the time paradox stuff in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe".)

Someone should do fanart for it.
:o You think?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:46 pm

Yeah, I actually did walk out on that episode. Can't remember why.

Also, if you've read "Palmyra", why don't you review it? :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:14 pm

Because everytime I write a review either A)It makes no sense or B)Doesn't help at all.
But heck, I'll give it a shot, the story is worth it. :)