OPINIONS: "Anthology of Interest IV"

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: OPINIONS: "Anthology of Interest IV"

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 am

Whoa... my ears! My face! They're burning up!

Thanks a million for the praise, Missy!

I just hope it's obvious for the reader that the opinions about The Simpsons expressed in this fic only apply to Season 10 and later. I guess it goes without saying...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:22 pm

Heh, I but speak the truth!  *shakes fist for making Leela/Zapp PLAUSIBLE TO ME ARGH I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN HANDLE THE BUNNY*
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:38 am

A few reviews that are long overdue

Time-travelling Bender - Pretty good. By far the highlight was the revelation about how Fry was traumatised. Some good jokes and good plotting, but the involvement of Flexo rubbed me the wrong way - he's a character I'd rather not see too much of really, and I find the Flexo/Beard/Bender confusion overdone. Angeline's dialogue was very good. However, I don't understand pretty much anything of the ending after the Napoleon part. Why the heck is Bender ran over?

(EDIT: having had it explained to me, Now I Get It. I forgot about the start of "The LEsser of two evils." Nice twist.)

Rating: B

Adopted Leela - A pretty good character piece, that unfortuantely suffers from being too removed from the actual continuity. Leela is the only main character that features, and she fights an OC for the love of two OCs that she apparantly didn't like anyway... and it's a little hard to care about the outcome. It's also not quite as funny as I'd think a AOI should be. Nice twist ending though

Rating: B-

Emperor Zapp - Superb work! Cunning plans all around, great characterisation of Leela, Fry, Kif and even Zapp and an inspired complication involving universe 1. The flight into the country seems a little off... it seems like this is the time intended to make Leela fall in love with him, but all he does is cook a meal. A bit more positive interaction here might have gone a long way. As it is, it seems realistic for Leela to come to Zapp's defence, but a bit much for her to go into exile with him. But aside from that I think it was excellent! And a good wrap up back in the real world.

Rating: A

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:31 am

Thanks for the reviews, Steve! You know how much they mean to me.

You do put your finger on the main problem I myself have with the third story:
Spoiler
I'll try to improve that bit when I finalise this fic.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm

So it's a cop-out, but all I can say is that I second everything everyone else has said. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks