OPINIONS - Bart Wars: Episode I

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

OPINIONS - Bart Wars: Episode I

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Every saga has a beginning...

It's prequel time! Exactly four years after the first part of Episode IV was posted (boy, time does fly), the Bart Wars Saga returns to its beginning with an epic tale of Jedi Knights, Sith Lords, pangalactic intrigue, and..uh...trade boycotts.

As always, all comments will be greatly appreciated. Enjoy! :)
Attachments
beginning.txt
(20.59 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: OPINIONS - Bart Wars: Episode I

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:27 pm

Oh man! This is just hilarious.  :D Where are the other parts by the way? rotf!  It made me laugh the way how you parodied the characters from star wars, specialy, Abey-wan. 

Keep at it , Karsten.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:52 pm

A "Bart Wars" prequel! Four years of waiting is over... This had better not be bad!

Jokes aside, no, it isn't bad. The title is good, the Famous Scrolling Text is pretty inspired, and the writing holds the kind of standard I expect from Karsten.

I've already commented on some of the casting after reading the little teaser document. I like the use for Apu and Sanjay, and Manjula's appearance. Characterisation is good so far. I'm a bit unsure about Willie, since he hasn't got that much personality on the show, but Abey and Margidala look good, and the Neimoindians and particularly Darth Megalomaniac shine.

As regards jokes (the primary reason for my love of the "Bart Wars" saga), this is a bit slow going, but I guess part of that is due to the material. There are some hilarious lines and sight gags, though. My favourites: the "Oh my God!" "Which one?" dialogue, "we're flying!", the response to "seal off the bridge", and the references to "Dune" and Lobo. Lobo! Frag it, I love this script already now.  :) Also the description of Palpaburns. The compulsive references to events in the original trilogy are pretty spot-on as well.

Not much to complain about so far. Like I said, I found the beginning a bit thin on jokes, but those there were made up for it. It could be argued that the "Dune" reference was already done in "Homer and Apu", though I find it different enough to work, and very funny too. (EDIT: On second thoughts, I don't think it was that close to the joke in "Homer and Apu", so don't worry about it.) I'll have to wait for the next bits, but I say the chances are very good that you have another masterpiece. Do keep at it.

@Omar: the original "Bart Wars" trilogy can be found in the fanfiction archive on this site, under the "Simpsons" > "Science Fiction" section
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:04 pm

This is such a hoot!  I'm looking forward to further installments (Episode II, I can't wait for it already ;-) )
Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I'm glad you like it so far. :)

Here's a bit more. It's not that much, but it's got Cletus in it. ;)
Attachments
beginning2.txt
(11.38 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:15 pm

Yay, Cletus! Wait, what am I saying?

A mistake: it should be "amphibian".

Cletus is painfully annoying, for sure. I love Willie telling him what we all want to tell him.

Continues good, with some funny bits, mostly involving Cletus and the Jedis' reactions to him. In fact, just about everything here is funny.
This time, you're in deep, deep trouble.
Excellent!
We don't like the Naboo. And the Naboo don't like us. One
might say that we form a symbiont circle of hate.
So is that. I'm not going to quote all the great lines here, though.

Typo: Monroe says "wit" instead of "with".

Wow, I nearly missed the ref at the very end of the document.  :)

Well, bar a couple of typoes, this fic seems off to a great start. *looks forward to more*
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Mon May 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Here's more! *gasp*

Featuring some nasty underwater creatures, many many handmaidens, a daring escape from Naboo, a second Sith Lord...and Maggie! Yay!
Attachments
beginning3.txt
(23.26 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:21 pm

Vulcan Nerve Pinch, huh?
Bwah!!

Have I mentioned how much I like the Cletus/JarJar synching? 
CLICHÉ
Bwahx2

Willie is the very epitome of awesome cool here.  He's got a lot of classic lines, too.  I'm still rolling at his non-challant "Sue Me".  I also love Darth Meglomaniac's dissertation on what holograms can and cannot do.  My favorite exchange is below:
WILLIE

I cannae change the laws o' physics!

PANACARL

Yes you can. You're a Jedi.

WILLIE

(pause) Ach!
So terrific - I'm excited about the next piece!
Kiyosuki
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kiyosuki » Thu May 04, 2006 6:39 am

Its pretty funny. I must admit though that I've seen so many Star Wars parodies over the years, that its sort of always in the middle for me personally. But still its a pretty good parody.

Parts of the story are a bit cliche, even for parody sakes but that may be the point. I'd recommend taking a few more risks with it though...like really maybe poking a few more sticks at Star Wars itself.

But so far the thing I like the most is your choice of who is who. It feels like you really thought that through rather than just sticking random characters into random roles. Like Sanjay and Apu being the Trade Federation is wrong on so many levels...but it makes sense and thats why its so damn funny. Same with Cletus and the backwaters thing making him jarjar.

Aside from Maggie, I like that generally your keeping the younger characters out (Bart, Lisa, Nelson etc.) since if you ever decide to do Ep4-6, they'd fill in those roles really well after Homer's generation and so on represent the prequel. Its almost...too perfect what with Bart and Lisa being siblings..

I always thought Nelson would make an awsome Han...and you'd have to make Milhouse Lando. rofl

I'll comment more as it rolls in, keep it up.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 04, 2006 7:45 am

Kiyosuki wrote: Aside from Maggie, I like that generally your keeping the younger characters out (Bart, Lisa, Nelson etc.) since if you ever decide to do Ep4-6, they'd fill in those roles really well after Homer's generation and so on represent the prequel. Its almost...too perfect what with Bart and Lisa being siblings..
Karsten's already written Episodes 4-6. (After all, this is a prequel.) The original trilogy can be found here: http://www.simpworks.com/sfwc/index.php?id=19

EDIT: I'll give my opinions on the newest snippet whenever I can, but I'm short for time at the moment.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 05, 2006 7:26 pm

Finally, my opinions on the newest segment (and a nice long one it is too, yay).

Not too much to say here. It continues good. Well-placed "Final Fantasy VII" reference. Cletus passing out in the vessel is funny. The reference to "Lisa vs. Malibu Stacey" is pretty brilliant.

This parody is starting to come into its own now. The dialogue between Apu and Sanjay is consistently great, and the "how are you going to explain this invasion?" discussion made me laugh. Bonus points for the names of the handmaids. (And I'm happy to see Carl as whatshisname.)

Finally, some constructive criticism I can give:
The last two droids are defeated by Abey-Wan, who uses the Force to grab them and knock them against each other, giggling happily.
Does "giggling happily" refer to Abey-Wan or the droids?
WILLIE
(annoyed) What is it with everybody and witty comments
today?
ABEY-WAN
I sense a heavy overdose of wittiness in the Force.
Good one! Same thing goes for the suggestion that the Federation forge Margidala's signature.

The bit with the handmaids is just great, and I like Willie killing the droid.

Another nitpick: shouldn't M2-G2 have a *blue* bowtie?

The Scotty (the Star Trek character, not the admin) joke is, as has been pointed out by other reviewers, hilarious. I guess I should have seen it coming, but still good.

Too many good lines to point out now, but Darth Megalomaniac's "A hologram can't hit people!" stands out. Otto is good too.

Well, this fic started out a bit slow (not surprising, considering what you've had to work with), but if you can keep up the standard of the last bit... well, you know how I feel about it already, so I'll spare you the mindless praise. I'm certainly looking forward to more, particularly now Bob has turned up.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Tue May 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Another nitpick: shouldn't M2-G2 have a *blue* bowtie?
D'oh! Thanks, I've fixed it now. Pretty embarrassing... :-[

@Kiyosuki: As Chris already pointed out, the Original Trilogy is long since written. As for "poking a few sticks", while there is the occasional jab, especially in this part (this is Episode I we're talking about), "Bart Wars" is generally more the "highest form of flattery" type of parody. I'm a big fan, after all. Anyways, I'm glad you're enyoing it. :)

Well, here's a new part. It's a bit shorter again, but it does introduce a few new characters, most notably a certain little boy who's eventually going to cause quite a bit of trouble...
Attachments
beginning4.txt
(13.62 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Typo: "staraship"

Marjoré continues being a good character. I love the ref to the original trilogy. Oh, and khlav kalash.

The name of the store is just excellent. (And a great casting choice, and name, for the owner.)

Homakin is adorable. Good to know that he'll never be capable of evil. His deadpan reaction to Cletus being attacked is funny.
They think just because we live on this
backwater planet, we don't know anything! (thoughtfully)
Although the term "backwater planet" isn't exactly the
best choice of words, seeing as there is barely any water
on this world...
Great line. Perhaps it could be even better if it broke off before the last comma, but it's good either way.

Well, continues good. Characterisation is good, and even shines in places. I particularly like Marjoré, Homakin and the store owner. Can't wait to see the pod race. (And I never thought I'd say that.)

EDIT: And you'll never believe how long it took me to realise that the racer is Lance Murdock. *shame*
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 27, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 pm

And you'll never believe how long it took me to realise that the racer is Lance Murdock. *shame*
Well, I have to admit it's not that obvious. (Though it will be as soon as he finishes the race with every single bone in his body broken several times. ;))

Anyways, here's the next bit. No Pod race yet, but it does tackle another pressing matter: Just how the heck can it be explainified that two "Bart Wars" characters are based on the same "Simpsons" character?

The answer...is yes.
Attachments
beginning5.txt
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Some good lines here. Mona is perfectly in character, and the others continue good. I'm particularly happy about Homakin. The meeting between Marjoré and 3-MRG (I like the story behind her name, by the way) isn't quite what I expected (I was guessing that Homakin might have built 3-MRG later, in a conscious imitation of his favourite girl), but it certainly deals with the problem, and 3-MRG's meeting with M2-G2 is excellent.

I love Homakin's "Boom! Heh heh heh." It's so very like him. Also the "laser sword" discussion. In fact, just about everything in the dinner discussion is brilliant.

Simply great, with sparkling comedy and even a bit of sweetness in Homakin's interaction with Mona and with the strangers. Keep it coming.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon