Opinion

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Re: Opinion

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:16 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! HAS ANYONE EVER READ THE FREAKIN' BOOK?! >:( :'( ???
I AM THE BLAZER! I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:30 pm

Come on, is it really important to you?  For the looks of it nobody has.  So lets go on to something else, ok?
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:37 pm

The Fic is only funny if you've read the book! That's why they call it a parody! :'(
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:23 pm

*sighs*.  You know, I've never heard of the book before you posted this fic, yet lo and behold - I understand what you're talking about!!

Let me give you an example: I've written and shared fics here that are parodies of such movies as 70's blaxsploitation flicks.  However, I made them so general that anyone could grasp the material if they know the show's characters well enough, with a teeny number of inside jokes that make the fact that it's a parody negligable - it's funny because the characters would say that, or do that, or feel that way if they were in this position. 

There's a reason why series like "Bart Wars" work.  Most of us have seen the Star Wars franchise films and therefore get the little bits of riffing on the movies - PLUS we know the Simpsons characters, to the  character-driven humor contained in the stories make it funny.  Parodies have to be widely acessable on some level to really work - otherwise, they have to be obfuscated by making them more character-driven.

I know what it is to watch a funny idea die on the table because you think it'll be too obscure for someone else to understand (my unexpressed and hopelessly odd idea: Laverne and Shirley/Simpsons crossover.  Then OFF did "Helter Shelter" and Went There, so that idea died a painful death).  But those are the risks we take when we post fan fiction to the internet.

In short: if you think your material is so esocetric that no one will get the story unless they've read the book, maybe you should add lots of descriptive action to the story, which will make the reader understand what you're doing - just what I suggested!  Or make the humor more character-based, so that we can get a good chuckle out of Bart or Homer being Bart or Homer.  Basically, you can't require your readers to have read your source material to understand your fic -there aren't enough hours in the day for us to track down and read books just because there's a fic on the internet that requires the background.

Now, can we stop the OT posting about metarank in the middle of fic criticism threads and asking unecessary questions and get on with the business of critique?
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:44 pm

Watching an idea die IS hard. I just thought people would read it because it was a newberry medal book. Any book that gets an award like that just might be good.
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:46 pm

*sighs* why did I know you wouldn't listen to my request?

Just because something has won an award does not mean it will appeal to the masses.  This is sad but true.  Also, taste is subjective.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, Duh! I know of hundreds of books that won an award and that were a load of crap! Like "The Matchlock Gun" that's only about 40 pages! Those Idiots!
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:53 pm

Please don't be snippy.  I'm only trying to make a point.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:55 pm

Well, what do you want me to say? ??? :doh:
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:00 pm

Ha ha - don't tempt me, please.

Anything you want, as long as it's with civility.
Lisalover1
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lisalover1 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Oh, well I still hope that someone might come along that's read the book, read the fanscript, and, maybe even like it!
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:50 am

missygal21880 wrote: *sighs* why did I know you wouldn't listen to my request?

Just because something has won an award does not mean it will appeal to the masses.  This is sad but true.  Also, taste is subjective.
though you are right in the fact that taste is subjective and awards mean nothing, you must stop and think about the fact that if, for example, i read that fic and thought it was funny on a semi-sublime scale, would i not also consider finding the source of the parody.

that is how good writers become great writers. they search out points of reference and though many people on a site such as this probably don't have time to research it, myself included, it raises the hope of the author that someone would read the original script to understand the new material.

You are, however, right also in the fact that a little more action and recognizable humor on the parts of the known characters would make the story better. LisaLover don't worry about whether others have read the original script, instead try and put your hopes in the fact that some of those who read might go and find an E-text of the original.

i have learned that researching another's work is what has made me into the person that i am. one can find very interesting bits of information and wisdom in the works of others.

still, i give you all the support in the world to continue making a better writer of yourself and the hope that someone would take the time to find the original story and read it. Continue on the path to self improvement. all luck
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:26 am

Umm...Lisalover was banned thisafternoon for finally outting himself as a troll.  He was harassing people in private PMS, too.  He can read this, but he can't respond to it.
Last edited by missygal21880 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:36 pm

does that include PMing me, becuase he was helping me with something. :-\
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:04 pm

zekeprower wrote: does that include PMing me, becuase he was helping me with something. :-\
Fraid so. A ban is a ban, and frankly he deserved it. His e-mail address should be in his profile if you want to stay in touch with him.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks