Short story: "Father Figure"

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Short story: "Father Figure"

Post by archonix » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 pm

Just wrote this one, tried to keep it light-hearted. It's really nothing amazing, just something that suddenly had to be written. And so here it is...

I've included an rtf version and an Opendoc version, which can be opened with openoffice, koffice and any other OpenDoc-compatible office suite. But not Microsoft office, cos they don't like it too much.
Attachments
father_figure.rtf
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
father_figure.odt
(14.06 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Re: Short story: "Father Figure"

Post by missy_misery » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:08 am

Lovely, really - a simple and smoothly-put idea, written to a good execution.  I know lots of us with parents who've passed away still go through the ritual Marge does every year.

I loved the subtle little jibes toward show history - Lisa's dress being red every single day.  I love that Marge took Maggie to see her father, and that Maggie has an ability of sight of her very own.  Isn't it fitting that Marge's still trying to throw him that line of affection -
Spoiler
I can't see any real flaws - that's Marge, ever-believing, practical and romantic at the same time.  And what we've got of Clancy you've got in the fic - you do good in giving us his side of the story.

A really lovely little heart-warmer with just the right amount of cynical edge.  Bravo.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Meghan
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Meghan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 pm

I usually don't read alot of Marge Stories but this one was sweet and so realistic for a cartoon fic, I like how you probe into Marge's emotions and feelings....
"Its The Rapture, quick get Bart out of the house before God comes!" -Homer
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:05 pm

Just read it. I like the format, short, easy to read, easy to comprehend.

The plot was very much in tune with Marges character. She felt she had to do it, even though she knew it didnt really make a difference.

A recomended read for people who dont just dont have the time for longer stories :)
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:26 pm

I like this story a lot, but you know that.

More specific comments:

The letter seems very much like the kind of thing Marge would write, and I can hear her voice behind it. In fact, Marge is very much in character throughout the story. Her comment to Homer in the letter made me laugh. In fact, this story strikes a pretty perfect balance between humour and emotion.

I know I've pointed out one typo, but I found another: "in the flash" should be "flesh", unless this is some pun I didn't catch. Other than that, it's a very good line.

Maggie speaks! Nice!

The last bit is just right. I have nothing to comment on there. The last line even made me feel a bit weepy, which most fanfiction doesn't achieve.

Well, what can I say? Not an incredibly groundbreaking work, but well-written, witty and sweet, with excellent Marge characterisation.
Spoiler
Just what I needed to restore my faith in fanfiction. Also the first piece I've read that's centred on Marge's dad. Great work.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Thanks for the reviews so far. It felt good to be writing again instead of complaining about it. :)

Chris, you're right, that was a typo. Spellcheckers can't see such things cos they're stupid.

I'll ahve to have a go at another one now... heh. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Lady_Simpson
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Lady_Simpson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:26 am

Wow that's a really sweet and well-written story.
Homer: Marge? Since I'm not talking to Lisa, would you please ask her to pass me the syrup?
Marge: Dear, please pass your father the syrup, Lisa.
Lisa: Bart, tell Dad I will only pass the syrup if it won't be used on any meat product.
Bart: You dunkin' your sausages in that syrup homeboy?
Homer: Marge, tell Bart I just want to drink a nice glass of syrup like I do every morning.
Marge: Tell him yourself, you're ignoring Lisa, not Bart.
Homer: Bart, thank your mother for pointing that out.
Marge: Homer, you're not not-talking to me and secondly I heard what you said.
Homer: Lisa, tell your mother to get off my case.
Bart: Uhhh, dad, Lisa's the one you're not talking to.
Homer: Bart, go to your room.