Opinions:  My first crack at the dramatic

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Tibor
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Opinions:  My first crack at the dramatic

Post by Tibor » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:14 am

Lisa vs. Ignorance (Or This Old Milhouse)

Something I've been working on, my first foray into more emotional writing.  I am a bit stuck about filling it in, so if anyone has any ideas...

Fire away!
Fighting the power and losing, since 1934.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Re: Opinions:  My first crack at the dramatic

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:31 am

Haven't really got any ideas for filling out, though having a showdown with Mr Largo sounds like quite a good idea.

This is some good writing. The main plot is indeed sobering, and the subplot is absurd, but in a good way. It's well written and has plenty of great moments, such as the Itchy&Scratchy short (one of the best ones I can remember seeing in a fanscript) and Ralph's lines. And I've got a soft spot for scenes of book burning. Not in real life, mind you. I like books.

My main objection is that... no nice way to say this, it's been done. So many of the scenes read like cuts from "Lisa the Simpson" or "They Saved Lisa's Brain", especially the latter. There's nothing wrong with your writing, it's excellent, but I can't get rid of the nagging feeling that the plot is old.

Oh, and Lisa's classmate is named Janey, and even though she's always given an impression of being a bit shallow, I doubt she would insult Lisa openly. After all, they're probably the closest thing to friends.

Other than that, it's good work, and I look forward to seeing more. (Just try hard to differentiate it from the episodes I mentioned. I'm afraid I can't give any more substantial advice.) And the subplot, as I said, it's surreal but I like the kind of thing. You've got Grampa's character down to a tee.

What more is there to say? Uh... Wagner! That'll scare 'em... eh... Chris out.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Tibor
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Tibor » Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:14 pm

I knew there was something off, but I couldn't put a word on it.  Yes, this seems like Saved Lisa's Brain, Moaning Lisa, and Lisa the Simpson rehashed.

I think I'm gonna put this on back burner, and maybe incorporate these ideas into something later.

Oh, and wasn't Janey one of the taunters in Lisa the Vegitarian? "Are you gonna marry a carrot?"  Although that taunting was set off by something, not just pure enmity.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I'll see what I can do with it.

EDIT:  On another note, Ms. Hoover's "Welcome to Hooverville" comment is something of a layered joke.  For you across the pond, President Hoover was the scapegoat for the ruined economy in the thirties.  Shanty towns where homeless people slept were called "Hoovervilles", so a Hooverville would be a depressing place indeed.
Last edited by Tibor on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting the power and losing, since 1934.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 09, 2003 9:03 am

Good thing you'll keep working on it. Hmmm... you're right about Janey's mean comments. I forgot about that episode. You're right, she's a bit like a fair-weather friend... hanging out with Lisa when she feels like it, then making fun of her when she wants to look good in front of the "in" people. I've had my fair share of people like that, I'm afraid.

Oooh... didn't know that Hooverville thing. On the other hand, I had Nelson calling her J. Edgar Hoover in a fanscript. I guess it evens out.  :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:58 am

forgive the ignorant one standing here, but i couldn't find any links to the story. am i missing something? immaterial made it sound so good that i wanted to read it.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:14 am

When you go through the old threads Zeke, especially ones more than a year old, expect a lot of pictures and attachments to be missing from their original posts.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Wed May 03, 2006 5:49 am

is there a place on the site where they still might exist or is it one of those, "This is why it is important to come to class early" kind of things?
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 am

They might exist in the old attachments, but because there's hundreds of attachments in there, and we don't even know what the file name is, the chances of finding it is very low.  If, like I said, it's in there to begin with.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Sun May 07, 2006 8:12 am

oh well, easy come, easy go. :)