(WIP) (Waving) (A Shirt Tone Guy/Missy Collaboration) "Exit 158" (PG)

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

(WIP) (Waving) (A Shirt Tone Guy/Missy Collaboration) "Exit 158" (PG)

Post by missy_misery » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:46 am

STG and I've been working on this one for a little bit - a Waving Universe fic.

SUMMARY: Lisa and her circle of friends prepare to leave Springfield for College.

EDIT: Finished version now posted!
Attachments
Exit158.rtf
(45.01 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: (WIP) (Waving) (A Shirt Tone Guy/Missy Collaboration) "Exit 158" (PG)

Post by archonix » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:22 pm

I just had a peek through it. Interesting ending, it felt sort of tied into things that have happened on the show. I enjoyed the earlier section with Laura as well. I'll leave it up to someone else to point out any problems there might be. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Thanks for checking it out, Graham!  It means a lot :) 

And I, as always, bow in Shirt's direction, because he did a lot of work with what plot points I tossed out.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:14 pm

Typoes: "ther" should be "other"; and "poliitely". You also spell Allison's name with one L at one point.

The writing is great, as well it might be. I'm not going to try to pick out who wrote what (and I know that's probably not how it works), but suffice it to say this is really well written, just as I expect from you two. I'm not going to point out all the good expressions here.

Yay, a Langdon Alger reference!

I really love all the concise and interesting backstory on the kids here, particularly the minor ones who usually get as short shrift in fanfiction as on the show, like Janey.
"I'm coming back with my shield or on it."
Yaay!  :D
some stubbly faced twentysomethings with squeaky voices
And this one made me laugh out loud.

Very sweet ending.

Well... I have hardly anything to complain about, except the occasional typo. For all I see, this could easily be finalised right away. I'm delighted by Laura's military career and husband, and it was really nice to get a bit from Janey's POV. All the regulars are great as well. The plot is a bit disjointed, of course, but then it's not primarily a plot-based fic. So, well-written, polished, with great characterisation, and quite emotive in a quiet way. I enjoyed this muchly.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks so much Chris! 

I'll tag STG and see if we can get out a final version soon!

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:19 am

And here is the finalized version :)

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:08 pm

First, congratulations on finishing this fic, Tony and Missy!

I'll try not to repeat myself too much from the earlier review. If this review seems a bit negative, it's because I reckon I've pointed out the good stuff already and can now focus on what can be improved. So do remember that I'm enjoying this fic greatly.
All these things will be on my mind tomorrow at their ceremony.
This strikes me as a slightly over-obvious segue to the next scene. Still, it works.

I like the empty row of seats for Cletus' and Brandine's children.

I still love the way you bring in concise but comprehensive bits of backstory on the kids at the graduation, particularly Janey (who's always needed more exposure in fanfic) and Allison.

"Mom" is capitalised in some places but not in others.

Typo: "Dondellinger".

I like little details like the Springfieldian accents.
“So you’re going to lower the boom, eh?” Lisa shot her a miserable look as they ascended a steep peak. “Why’re you so scared? You’ve been thinking of breaking up with him for months.”
The way this is formatted makes it seem like it's Lisa's line, which confused me at first. I'd put linebreaks between these bits, to show that it's not Lisa saying it.
Milhouse's grief over his terminated relationship gave way to automotive concern.
This made me laugh!
While they maintained strong feelings for the friends they were leaving behind, these last few minutes had confirmed their decision to study outside Springfield as the right one.
Not a bad sentence, but it's a bit superfluous. It pretty much tells what the scene has already done a good job showing.

The Allison and Janey scene is great, though I feel the bike ride down the road could have been given a little more description. It is fairly important, after all.

Typo: "wiithout".

You have "rattled" twice in three paragraphs at the end of the scene with Allison and Janey. It's not too annoying, but it might be a good idea to change one of them to another word.
filling cardboard boxes with everything that fits
That should be "fitted".

The description is good. In fact, pretty much every scene is good.
These were the childhood awards that once adorned the walls and shelves of Allison's side room, each one adding to her legendary skills in the classroom or on the saxophone, each one now past its utility.
Lovely description.
"He sounded like that cartoon dog you used to watch."
Awesome.
She poked Bart in the ribs, “this is all your fault.
"This" should probably be capitalised.
“Hey, it took a long time to dye those doves green!”
Excellent.
“I didn’t even see it coming until last year – how could you have known?”  Lisa crossed her hands upon her lap in a maidenly fashion.
Excellent line and description.
“Bart!” Lisa hissed, “you did take your finals?”
I think you should have a full stop and capitalise the next sentence.

Yay, Down With Buildings!

I love the reference to "Simpson Tide", and Homer's air guitar.

It's "Nahasapeemapetilon". (Yes, I had to look that up. I'm going by the Complete Guide here.)

Great Maggie characterisation, too.
Maggie shrugged, which is pre-pubescent slang for ‘whatever.’
Excellent.

I like that you actually put some context to Ruth's steroid abuse in that episode, which is more than the show did!

It should be "padawan". Great line otherwise!
“Hey, Mags,” It’s Puuma Nahasaphemapettilon, waving a five dollar bill, “mom says we can go down to DVD Dormitory and pick up a couple of flicks.”
I think you should have a full stop at the end of the first bit of dialogue, and then make the other bit a new sentence (as in "waving a five dollar bill. 'Mom says we can go" etc.)

By the way, I'm delighted that Maggie has friends among the Nahasapeemapetilon octuplets.
I have a feeling from her tone that she’s made too many recently, or, perhaps, has been trying to free herself from them.
Wonderful.

Very good ending.

Well, apart from the occasional hopefully constructive stylistic remark, I loved this. All the characterisations ring true with the show and are well developed. I was particularly happy about Laura, Janey and Maggie, but there's not one bad one here. The plot is great, the writing is as good as I expect from both of you, but the characters are really what make this fic. So much to love here: Laura's narrating voice, a solid characterisation for Janey (I feel like saying this again: I'm so glad to see a fic where she plays a major role!), the bare hints of tension between Laura and Buckman, Lisa's and Allison's fears of leaving home. Character interactions are great.

Well, it's finished! With the occasional change, this is pretty worthy to be put in the archive. It's pretty much perfect.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:27 am

Eee, thanks so much for the review, Chris - and thanks for the concrit!!

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon May 17, 2010 5:39 pm

I am SUCH a dunce.  Shirt sent me an extended version of the fic last week, and I forgot to post it.  Here's a brand-new extension with fresh scenes. 

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Still awesome fic, blah blah, you know how much I like it, I won't have to repeat myself. Some new opinions on this edit. Mostly (minor) nitpicks, since the strength of this story speak for themselves.

I think "my husband Buckman" feels a bit artificial. Laura should probably just use his name, and then we get to deduce that he's her husband.

"with considerably low vigor" feels just a bit stilted. Maybe "with considerable lack of vigor" would be better.

There's a lot of tense changes in the first scene from Janey's POV.

Typo: “Dondellinger” should only have one L.
“So you’re going to lower the boom, eh?” Lisa shot her a miserable look as they ascended a steep peak. “Why’re you so scared? You’ve been thinking of breaking up with him for months.”
The way the sentence is wedged between the two dialogue lines makes it seem like it's Lisa talking, at least to me. Maybe you should make it three separate lines (first the dialogue, then the description, then the next line of dialogue).
Lisa’s knuckles suddenly turned white on the handlebars.
I don't think “suddenly” is necessary here. Other than that, great line.
"I told you that wasn't legal", he snapped.
You should probably make it clear that it's Wendell saying this. I was confused for a while as to who the speaker was.
while she thought to herself how this may be the last time her tires would cross this street
“might” would be better than “may”.

Typo: “wiithout”
"Right...You haven't thought of transferring, have you?  Maybe get more P.T. at Maryland?  GW?
You're missing a quote mark at the end of this line.
Allison tried to alert Janey to her unease
Not bad, but could be done with less telling. Maybe just changing it to something like “Allison tried to tell Janey to watch her speed” or similar.
filling cardboard boxes with everything that fits
Tense change; should be “fit”.
She poked Bart in the ribs, “this is all your fault.
Should be a full stop, and a capital letter at the start of the dialogue.
“Milhouse’s nails were neon-colored for two weeks afterwards,” she sobered slightly,
Should be a full stop at the end of the dialogue line, and a capital letter afterwards, as this is a separate description, not a dialogue tag.
“I try,” she murmured, then brightened.
Should be present tense. There are some past tense sentences after this, too.

“Nahasapeemapetilon” is still spelled wrong. (And if it makes you feel better, I had to look it up this time, too.)
then heading up to us with a pained smile on her face
I think “headed” would be better.

“Padwan” should be “padawan”.

Not exactly incorrect, but you use both the spelling “Mags” and “Maggs”. You should probably stick to one.
Predictable, Lisa’s surrounded by Janey, Alex and Allison
Typo: should be “predictably”.

OK... in case the above seemed too negative, let me remind you that all the characterisation is awesome, and the writing style is fluid and memorable. I can't rightly point out everything I liked in it, or I'd be here all night.

Fix the tense changes, and I'd say this is as good as it can get. And I'd be very happy to read more collaborations between you two. You do an awesome job.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed May 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks so much, Chris!

I agree that we two should collaborate more :) .  Maybe something will come up.

I'll fix the mistakes in my sections, and after Shirt does so on his, the final version will go up!

Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: (WIP) (Waving) (A Shirt Tone Guy/Missy Collaboration)

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:18 am

Finalized version, all thanks to Missy and to those who gave valuable concrit.
Attachments
Exit158.rtf
(45.01 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you so much for saving my skin and posting this for me, Shirt :) . *Re-downloads copy*

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 pm

Found a typo: "Alison".

Besides that, looks like you've polished this quite finely. It's well worthy of a place on the Writing board and good reviews.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 am

Thanks so much, Chris :)

Could you point out where the misspelled "Allison" is?