I *swear* it's related!

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Mel

I *swear* it's related!

Post by Mel » Sat May 25, 2002 4:03 pm

I was renewing my acquaintance with interactive fiction-dom recently, and spat this out.  It's related, I promise!  *repeats previous sentence twenty million zillion times*
No, seriously, it really is.  All I'm going to say is "Burns Experiment" and leave it at that.  :D  Just tell me if it's good or crap or what.  I wanted to write an IF myself, and this came to mind as an intro.  I might actually program the game, depending.  :P on me.

Cold.  Pain.  Fear.  These sensations batter at your surfacing mind as you slowly come to.  You seem to be almost floating somehow, except for the strip of cold down your right side.

Cold.  Something in you detests the sensation, though whether for awakening you or not, you cannot tell.

Pain.  Slowly, with a great effort, you open your eyes.  You see a broad, green muzzle before you which is bathed in a blue light which seems to have no definite source.  You look around, and see strips of horizontal blue glows looming in your field of vision.  These glows are framed by white-tiled floor and ceiling.  Between the bars are visible other bars, and many other objects you cannot identify.  The colours seem wrong, somehow.  You do not put these thoughts into words; you have no words, and no memories.

Fear.  You raise your head and look down at a body that does not seem to belong to you.  A thick, green, finely-scaled tail sprouts from your tattered grey shorts.  Two legs, the same colour and texture as the tail, trail from the shorts as well.  The legs end in broad, claw-tipped paws which twitch sporadically.

You feel...odd at these sights, and this odd feeling makes a wet streak down your snout.  Of itself, a hand reaches up to wipe the moisture away.  You stare at the clawed paw-hand, and slowly it drops back to the tiled floor.

I'm sorry.  :(  I'll behave now.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: I *swear* it's related!

Post by SirMustapha » Sat May 25, 2002 4:20 pm

Ok, ok, we believe it's related! ;)

It's fun so far. I'd like to see you develop it further. Something interesting might come out... *air of suspense*
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Marco

Post by Marco » Sat May 25, 2002 4:21 pm

I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!
;D

No seriously.. it's intersting. But far too little to say something about it... :) That intro can be great for an IF game though.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Sat May 25, 2002 4:24 pm

:) I think it's an interesting beginning. This IF experiment looks like it could be fun.  Keep writing Mel, I would like to see more of it.  
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Kwyjibo

Post by Kwyjibo » Sat May 25, 2002 9:28 pm

Mel, I belive it's related, Marco, I believe you're the lizard queen (no, wait..)
Eh, anyway, I like the idea! :)
That intro can be great for an IF game though.
You just say that becuase the only game you've played is Hobbit - The True Story... ;D
Craig_Fotheringham

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Sun May 26, 2002 12:49 am

Surreal as always. :D
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Sun May 26, 2002 4:32 pm

Ooooo spooky. I think it's good, especially for setting the scene.(The scene in this case being some mad doctors lab no doubt)

Has it got something to do with Werewolves? ???
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Sun May 26, 2002 5:37 pm

Ooh, interesting! Looks good so far, albeit a bit confusing.
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
Mel

Post by Mel » Tue May 28, 2002 2:20 am

PROJECT UPDATE:

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys.   :blush:  I'm beginning work on maps and learning the programming language now.  It shouldn't be too terribly difficult for me, considering.  :)  I've also got a tentative title for it.  I'll call it "Adumbration," since one-word attribute titles seem to be popular lately. ::)  *gets shot by Chris*  I'm also doing pics, should anyone want to see a crappily drawn mutant lizard-dinosaur.
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Tue May 28, 2002 4:19 am

Does this mean that there will be more of "If They Hadn't Travelled"? [Pokes at MEL] Mel-saaaaaaaan...
Oh, and what's "adumbration" mean? I have only Japanese English dictionaries within reach...
Last edited by hadisia on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 28, 2002 7:44 am

"Foreshadowing". I wouldn't think someone who speaks Japanese would have a problem with English.

Hey Mel, no shooting! I take it as a compliment.  :) Nice title, too.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue May 28, 2002 9:42 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Stuff! M0000re stuff! Woohoo!! ;D

Send in the creepy stuff, they'll be welcome! ;)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Tue May 28, 2002 6:01 pm

Er...very nice...now what does that tittle mean...*runs of to get dictionary*
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 28, 2002 7:05 pm

Stan, I just *said* what the title means!  :) Come on, it isn't like it's Japanese or some such difficult language! It's a pure, simple Latinism.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Wed May 29, 2002 2:53 am

Japanese is only difficult if you believe it to be so.
ROBERT: ...imoutochan, Nihongo wa totemo muzukashii da ze.
HADISIA: Oh, sure, take her side!
Last edited by hadisia on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH