OPINIONS - Simpson Moon Ep 2

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

OPINIONS - Simpson Moon Ep 2

Post by gkscotty » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:31 pm

Here it is. Warning - the latter part of the script has a much lower comedy : serious ratio than the rest... it's just the nature of the eps involved.

Also I'm highly concerned about Lisa's characterisation. She's in character (just) IMO, but could be better... all suggestions accepted! Please comment!

EDIT : Not read the first part? It's at http://www.simpworks.com/YaBBAttachments/spmoonp1.doc
Last edited by gkscotty on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: OPINIONS - Simpson Moon Ep 2

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:42 pm

:) Yayy!  Episode 2!  I will read it soon, Steve.  I am looking forward to checking it out. :)
Last edited by aoifestorm on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Marco

Post by Marco » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:57 pm

Eh, you already know what i think about it. I will post my comments later though, i need to do stuff.  :o

Psst... it's Steve Image
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:03 pm

*lol*

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:04 pm

Okay, if Steve is me... I assume Marco is Chris, Soren is Steve and I'm Hadisia.

ROB: Who am I?
EVERYONE: SHADDAP!

*coma*

Anyway, I'm reading it now... whoever I am... ;) ;D
Last edited by archonix on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:53 pm

:D ;D Sighh, I keep mixing everyone up on this board.  Sorry yet again Steve and Graham.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:06 pm

@Graham: *LOL*

@Bart going to China, everything involving Tuxedo Corey, the shounen ai romance, the fact that the Popsicle Tower finally got some airtime, most everything: *LOL*

Hmmm... it's hard to give a balanced review. On one hand, I've got something of a hate-hate relationship with animé. (Sorry, but sooner or later it has to be said.) On the other hand, this is a very well-written and joke-packed script. Don't worry about it getting more dramatic, it's good. I actually felt the suspense quite some times. As for all the animé bits, not bad. (Was the Milhouse section out of Gundam Wing?)Arrivederci!
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:13 pm

Alright, I'm taking this break in my heavy schedule to ha- oh wait, I have no schedule... oh well.

Right, first thoughts on this script: I'm not a Sailor Moon fan, a fact I've made abundantly clear whenever I get the chance.  Yet, I like this script.  I love the humour, which isn't as lacking as you make out, Steve, so you've nothing to worry about there.  I love the numerous injokes of both OFF and all the various animés featured from time to time, and I especially like the interactions between the four girls throughout.

THe continued references to "fanboys" and the Luna's refs to lall kinds of legal departments and "Central" are also iuncredibly fun. ;D

Now, I'd say a lot mroe but I seem to have some kind of long review inhibitor, and I've run out of words... so...

:uhdrop:
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Marco-bash

Post by Marco-bash » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:35 pm

Okey, i just wrote a 3 pages review using a VGA 16 color screen (hencei don't see what i'm writing, blue on blue), then the browser thought well about eating my reply.
Since i'll be probably doing what my avatar does in about 5 minutes, i'd better wait again for the review. Sorry Steve :)
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:43 pm

Eugh, that's horrible Marco... (everyone pray for Marco's net connection, it sucks tonight)

But 3 pages? I'm flattered. I hope some of it was negative. :-)

Thank you Graham and Christina. I'm glad you think the girls' personalities and interactions were good - and you know you've acheived something when Chris says she was almost moved.

And Gundam Wing? Nay, tis Evangelion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:39 pm

Will post a review either tonight or tomorrow.  Am in the midst of reading it. ;)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:11 pm

:) :) Hooray for Episode Two!  It was an enjoyable read, and I don't know what you were talking about Steve, it was funny as well.
There was lots of fun stuff. Among my favorite parts....  I liked the weird comment about space pirates and a crazy scientist moving in with Moe.  Was this an allusion to another anime series, or was this just a fun line?
I loved Bart as Ranma!Image  As soon as Homer mentioned going to China, I had a feeling things were going in this direction.  I thought Sherri was a good choice for Shampoo.  I loved Sideshow Bob turning into P-Chan too. Do you think you will keep using this theme in the next Simpson Moon installments? I would love to see Homer tuning into a giant panda, and Hans as Happosai.
The  blurb of the sex/violence sitcom was very funny. How could you have thought that this script lacked humor, Steve?
Luna asking for powers that are actually useful on behalf of Mercury was fun.  So was the scene where Luna talks to Barney and Moe in the bar.
I loved the use of the Popsicle Skyscraper as the scene for the big, final battle of this episode.
The choice of Mamoru Chiba as Kamen and Minako Aino as Sailor Venus/Sailor V were interesting.  I loved the line, "Mamoru leans on the balcony wall, and looks out over Tokyo. Godzilla is half-heartedly attacking, but nobody notices anymore".  I noticed the line in you sig recently, and  got a chuckle off of it, but now I know where it comes from.
Is there any reason why you made up new characters for Tuxedo Kamen/Sailor Venus instead of using characters from Springfield?  I'm just curious.
I really liked Episode 2 a lot.  It was really a fun script.  I hope we see Epsiode 3 sometime soon, Steve.  I think you are doing a great job with this theme. :)
Last edited by aoifestorm on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:27 pm

Well, I finally finished reading it! :)  [rolls up sleeves]

Okay....all in all, this was a really groovy script.  It is definitely one of the weirdest things I've read in a while, but that's mainly because I'm such a novice when it comes to anime/manga that I didn't get half the references. :D  It got quite funny at many parts, and I enjoyed it. :)
HOMER : Well, at least Bart’s still as American as apple pie and evil faceless corporations.

If this quote wasn't so darn true and funny, I'd bop you one for it. :P ;D
Apu looks out over his counter. A black paw reaches up onto the counter and leaves a $20 bill there.

LUNA : You didn’t see nuthin’.
APU : That is correct, small black talking cat.

Apu rocks hard. :D  Note:  The use of the 'Cat Fight' game was quite good, but the "skank" and "bitch" just seemed a bit too adult for it.

Other things:  loved the bit with the tanks and poor Hans Moleman; was heartily confused by the bit with Milhouse in the robot and the others talking to him, was at first skeeved out and then quite amused by the "thing" between Dolphite and Kearneyite, and the battle at the end was interesting.  Also liked Godzilla. ;)

Good script. :naughty:

--MST3K interview

gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:00 pm

There was lots of fun stuff. Among my favorite parts....  I liked the weird comment about space pirates and a crazy scientist moving in with Moe.  Was this an allusion to another anime series, or was this just a fun line?
That was me trying to ref Tenchi Muyo.
I loved Bart as Ranma!Image  As soon as Homer mentioned going to China, I had a feeling things were going in this direction.  I thought Sherri was a good choice for Shampoo.  I loved Sideshow Bob turning into P-Chan too. Do you think you will keep using this theme in the next Simpson Moon installments? I would love to see Homer tuning into a giant panda, and Hans as Happosai.
I don;t plan to make them a central part of the story, but Panda Homer will definitely be soon. And though he won't feature at all, I think I'd prefer Grampa as Happosai.
The  blurb of the sex/violence sitcom was very funny. How could you have thought that this script lacked humor, Steve?
Really, I was referring to the part after they enter the tower there. Humour drops off a lot compared to previous scenes.
I loved the use of the Popsicle Skyscraper as the scene for the big, final battle of this episode.
I'm not sure how good that battle actually is though. Lisa picking up the cane bothers me.
Is there any reason why you made up new characters for Tuxedo Kamen/Sailor Venus instead of using characters from Springfield?  I'm just curious.
They're not new characters - Mamoru Chiba and Minako Aino are the Japanese names of the actual Sailor Moon characters. Why are they in it? All will be revealed.

Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:42 am

Well, i'm back, my puter is now laying aside me piece to piece, and the fan is giving me a headache Image

Now, for SimpMoon:
It's a script that obviously bases itself on the readers knowledge of SM and other famous anime in general, but the strenght of it lies in two basilar things: it keeps always a vein of classic, hilarious Simpsonic humour (punch lines, subtle and not background jokes, and some extensions of charachterization), and the Anime referred humour is special in its way, not hermetic: That is, even if one doesn't know anything about Evangelion or Ranma (the latter was my case) it's impossible not to laugh to Milhouse being scolded by various weird holograms, or Bob transmuting into a little pig (
PIG (infuriated) : Squeeeeee! (throws switchblade at ground) Squeeee! (sadly, sits down) Squee…
This had me ROTFL ;D ).
About Lisas charachterization: to me her out-of-charachter bits (mostly the romantic swipes) are a great way of making fun of the charateristic anime girl in general, Usagi in particular. It's part of the parody, and the fact Lisa is doing it, it has even more value. In the final scene she may act a bit strange, but i still think that is ok. Lisa went berserk for a bit, it already happened. ;D

And now i can skip to the obvious part of the review... ah-hem:

*ROTFL* ;D

[OT]
p.s.: For the anime-bashers or understimators in general: It's easy to underrate the manga animation in general, when you just look at the same commercialized fan-service filled crap the TV stations export to the world to get easy viewers.
[/OT]
Last edited by Marco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.