2006 art competition

OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

2006 art competition

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:28 am

It seems like the year has just begun, and its already May! Well tomorrow, that is.  ;D  Time flies, doesn't it?

Last year we had two artistic competitions -- a lot of artists were involved, and we had a wonderful time.  Members had a chance to express themselves artistically with drawings or writing. 

Now is time for another one. :-)

These are going to be a little different.  On the drawing you'll have the freedom to draw from Futurama or Simpsons characterS -- not necessarily based from a story.   There should be 2 characters minimum on the picture, using any media you desire (digital or traditional).   The artist should be able to express an idea or story without the use of words. 

the same rules from the forum about violence,sex and gore apply to this as well.

There will be a thread for every entry; where members will con-crit the art and express their thoughts on what the author is trying to say. 

Graham, Marco or I will be waiting for the artist to tell us the idea (what he/she want to express) and at the end, the winner will be chosen by how many people were closest to the author's idea.  That, and artistic talent of course.   It will be harder to choose a winner this time because half of the decision will be based on the subtle story of the picture not just how nice it is.

The donation for this contest should be sent here: graham@imdanet.com using paypal.  If you cannot do it like that, pm Graham for arrangements.  (Graham's nick is "Commisar Geranovich.  He is the Administrator of the forum for those who don't yet know)

(Donations will be for the gifts which we haven't decided yet)  Come on folks 5 dollars each will not hurt us, and it will surely benefit the cause.  We are like 20 regulars but hopefully more will donate.

On top of that I'm willing to make a commission for the winner and print out his winning piece on a 20 x 24 format photo-paper.  (inches, people.)

The writing one: 

The short-story should be between 2000 and 3000 words.  Please don't make them longer, folks. :-) 

Our own Graham Dawson will be reading them.  He will need a lot of help on it, and I'm willing to help him in whatever I can.  But is there anyone who would like to read the fanfics too?  It will be so much help, 'cause as you might know that was a pretty big problem with the first competition. Most people didn't even read all the stories but one.   

The story will be based on some piece of art already made.  The writer will copy and paste that illustration on his/her work.

Also, I'm willing to do a commission for the winner of this contest, but please we need a panel of judges people!  Is not the same to judge a fanfic as what it is to judge a drawing.

*Judges won't be able to participate.  Sorry, but that would really affect a final decision.

Voting for this will be possible too, as a way to help specially the Writing contest.  But it won't totally give us a winner, but a very close outlook. :)

*both parts will be taking place at the same time, and there will be a two months deadline.   

Get your pencils ready and good luck to everyone!

The contest will begin on May 10th
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 02, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Re: 2006 art competition

Post by Casper » Mon May 01, 2006 1:43 am

I agree with those rules. I just have one minor inquire.

Can people enter for both the drawing and writing contest?
It doesnt concern me, but it might interest other members.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon May 01, 2006 1:58 am

I find no problem with that.   If time permits it, you can sure enter them both. :-)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 01, 2006 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 am

i would like to be part of comp by reading the fanfics. if there are certain rules and standards for the fics, just tell me. it would be cool to help out.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon May 01, 2006 5:52 am

Thanks, zekepower. That would be of great help!  And about the rules. Well, it just have to be well written that's all. You know a lot about writing, I have seen you enjoy doing it a lot.  I will give you some more details tommorow.  Can I have any email address from you, so we can chat tommorow on yahoo or msn?  ;)

EDIT:  Also, Graham, our fearless leader.  ;D will be part of the panel of judges, so I guess you should talk to him too.  He has alot of work on his hands at the moment, and yet he still volunteering. 

Is there anyone else who would like to help?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 01, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigersrock144

Post by Tigersrock144 » Mon May 01, 2006 3:48 pm

yey! looking forward to this, I don't know if I will get the time to participate because my GCSEs are coming up this month and I'll be busy revising :( I would love to enter if I get the time, might get me back into simpson fan art :D
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Tue May 02, 2006 1:23 am

i havent posted here in a while
but i do still skulk around reading things pretty much daily!

this competition has intrigued me. if i can get inspired i think i might just have to enter it!

one thing, how strict is the no violence rule though? is violence to the standard of say whats actually seen in futurama acceptable? it just seems a bit vague to me...
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Tue May 02, 2006 1:59 am

Futurama violence is acceptable, in fact, the same rules from the forum apply to this as well.
skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Tue May 02, 2006 3:36 pm

ahh ok cool!
thanks for that  :)
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com
Lisa Terra
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Lisa Terra » Tue May 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Hi, how do we enter our art competition pics? is it via email
will they get displayed at all?  xxLisaTerraxx
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue May 02, 2006 9:08 pm

Lisa Terra
No, you can post your picture right here. Just use "Reply" button and click "Additional Options" there. And welcome to the board. :)
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:58 pm

check this link: http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 711.0.html

The pics are going to be posted individually at the Netcomix board.  :)
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by J2 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:17 pm

Well.....I dunno if I'll have time to contribute as I don't have any free time at all.  But, if I can get a few lines drawn... :-\
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Fri May 05, 2006 5:19 am

just a question. for those who are judging, is there going to be a separate section set aside for the stories? and what other rules are there for the judging. feel free to E-mail me with the list. zekeprower@yahoo.com
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Fri May 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Does the rule about violence and gore apply to Itchy & Scratchy and THOH-realeted art?
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.