2006 art competition

OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: 2006 art competition

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri May 05, 2006 9:36 pm

There should be no problem about that, after all, those characters are intended to be violent. (sorry about not being specific on that little detail)

On the other hand, characters like Lisa, Bart or any other regulars will have to stay out of that violent level.  Even if THOH related, I don't think people will like to see a Lisa Simpson having her head chopped off. or hanging of a rope like we have seen in some THOH couch gags.  ;)
Never judge a book by its cover.....
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Sun May 07, 2006 8:03 am

your just trying to ruin everyone's fun, aren't you. it's cool, but what about violence in the form of, say, Lisa Fiztgerald. as i remember there was a little bit of violence in that.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sun May 07, 2006 9:17 am

Ahem... actually, Lisa's life was living hell for three years. If that was "a little bit of violence" then I just don't know.

Now excuse me, I have to go and kill Jack Fitzgerald...
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun May 07, 2006 9:46 am

I'm sure Omar means violence as in "gory stuff just for shock effect". Relying to that kind of stuff is always a very cheap way to impress people, so i think it's unnecessary. Of course, if it's not gory and it's intended for the final goal (telling a story) i guess it could be accepted, but it should not be the main point of a picture. But i'll have Omar detail this one better, since it's a very subjective detail since the word "violence" implies all sort of gradations.
Gazmanafc
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Gazmanafc » Sun May 07, 2006 4:48 pm

Dagdamor wrote: Now excuse me, I have to go and kill Jack Fitzgerald...
Can I come too? ;)
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sun May 07, 2006 4:57 pm

Sure thing, I'll leave you a part.
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sun May 07, 2006 6:07 pm

Marco took the words letters out of my mouth keyboard.  That's the way is was intended to be.  Gore is the level of violence I was refering to.  Is a good thing I made this thread ahead of time to clean things up.  ;)
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Sun May 07, 2006 7:29 pm

Gore is the level of violence I was refering to.
Aw dammit!  And I've just bought five gallons of red paint....

Seriously though, this sounds really good.  I especially like the concept of storytelling via the artwork and with the writing competition being based on existing pictures, it ties everything together nicely.  Now I just need to think of something original to draw....
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
OARRIAGA2001

We need help!

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Important

Dear members,  it is getting closer to May 10th and we haven't got enough judges for the writing competition.   Everything here is done with too much determination, so we could have a little bit of competitive spirit, never to underestimate anyone's work.    I could judge, but that would not make sense at all.  My english is not up to that level, yet.  I'm still going to read all the stories, and thats a promise.

In order for the competition to be fair we need at least three Judges.   I will have some gift for the Judges too.  I'm offering a commision work, 'cause I'm not rich. :-)  :-P

Ehh, what else can I say?  Well, please people, I'm begging you.  Look! I'm on my knees.  I'm going to kiss you ass and call it ice cream. *lol*

Folks, this competition cannot go on without your help.  If this tradition continues,  who knows,  we may end up doing it once a year.   ;D

The panel of Judges so far:

Writing contest:  Graham and Zeke

Drawing contest:  Marco aka (Simpreal), Morpheus and Omar aka (OARRIAGA2001)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 15, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Sun May 07, 2006 10:25 pm

Could you make a list of the Entrants in both Writing and Art contests, and the judges for those please? Cheers :)

As for violence, gah, whats the point? Its only a single picture, I'm sure you can all work out somthing inspirational enough for one non-violent picture.
(Excluding Itchy & Scratchy and Futurama to a point.)
I personaly dont see it as rocket science working out whether your going to far.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue May 09, 2006 6:29 pm

no one else would like to judge in the writing contest? Having three would be great...
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Wed May 10, 2006 9:12 pm

Hi, my dearest co-members and minions.  ;D ;)

Today is May 10th, and the competiton starts. However, because of mother's day, it is understandable that most of you, if not all, are with your mothers, like me.  So entries will be posted starting tommorow May 11th.   

One more thing. We truly need one more judge for the writing competition.   If you are a good writer and think wont have a chance of writing an entry, please help us out!  This whole deal cannot be made without you  :)

Omar Perez.

P.S.  May all mothers on this board and mothers of the members have a glorious day!  
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 13, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 pm

I'll be a writing judge then, if that's okay? I was thinking of entering, but I haven't come up with any ideas from any pictures yet, so instead I might as well judge the other stories. :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed May 10, 2006 11:22 pm

Thanks, Kenneth! You and the other judges are doing a great service.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Thu May 11, 2006 12:19 am

Awesome, Kenneth!  Thanks for volunteering.   

Ok, now we have our judges ready so is going to be as follows:

Writing contest:  Graham, Zeke and Kenneth.

Drawing contest: Marco, Morpheus and Omar.

For any question about any competition please go here for the writing one: http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 710.0.html  or here for the drawing one:  http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 711.0.html

Best of luck everyone!

Oh!  And remember the donations.    :)   Please read here: http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 709.0.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 15, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.