Competition comments and Entry Announcement thread

Genghis Tron
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: Competition comments and Entry Announcement thread

Post by Genghis Tron » Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 pm

thanks sick pickles!  even if my entry doesn't win anything, if it can induce some yucks, my work is done!  so that totally made my day.
GalaxyDancer

Post by GalaxyDancer » Tue May 08, 2007 2:22 am

I just now found out about this -FIVE DAYS BEFORE DEADLINE!!!- so I don't know if I'll have time to make anything uber-fantastic, but I'll try. DX Man, oh, man, I wish I would have found out sooner!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 08, 2007 9:28 am

@tmcollins: heh, a kindred spirit! "The Sting" is my favourite episode as well (I loved Futurama well before that, but "The Sting" took the show to a new level, I think).

Great picture, both in conception and execution. I'm a bit unsure about Leela's eye and the design of the Holophonor, but apart from that, it's nearly show quality, and the colouring is very professional. The sketched background makes it original. I particularly like Fry's pictures and sketches.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Wed May 09, 2007 7:01 pm

Not an entry yet, just a statement of intent!
I am working on something but I'd just like to clarify if the deadline is by the start of the 12th or by the end of the 12th?  If it's the start I may struggle, if it's by the end I should be OK...
I'm afraid I've got no excuses, I just haven't got my arse in gear...
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed May 09, 2007 7:42 pm

The end. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Re: announcements board: I'm not sure if it's fair for me to say this, but more time wouldn't hurt. Any thoughts on the subject from people who have already entered?
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Smokin Joe
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Smokin Joe » Thu May 10, 2007 2:34 am

Food for thought:

1. Unfortunately it could go on forever.

2. Not quite fair to those who have already entered assuming present deadline.

3. Gives late entrants a chance to see what everyone else has done before starting or entering theirs. See #1.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 10, 2007 7:50 am

I haven't entered this competition (I'm not even an artist), so take my views for what they're worth. I feel I need to add my comments, though.
Smokin Joe wrote: Food for thought:

1. Unfortunately it could go on forever.
Hardly. Competition deadlines have been extended on this board before, and they've always been satisfactorily concluded. Besides, if an extension provides more entries of the caliber shown, I see no reason to complain.
2. Not quite fair to those who have already entered assuming present deadline.
I agree on this point.
3. Gives late entrants a chance to see what everyone else has done before starting or entering theirs. See #1.
Don't really see the problem with this. If the risk is that artists would produce pictures that rip off existing ones, I don't think that's very likely: a smart artist realises that's not a way to stand out in a competition. If it's a case of them knowing what ideas have been done, and coming up with more original ones: where's the harm in that? If it's just a case of artists feeling too much of a pressure from seeing other entries, that I can understand, but then they might as well not look at the thread until they've posted their entry.

Just my two cents.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
mrgrotey
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by mrgrotey » Thu May 10, 2007 9:17 am

:D oh mate that nuclear safety pic kills them all, fantastic work there timmo, nice one! really great artwork, your hard work shines through
People said I was Dumb, but I proved them!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 10, 2007 9:34 am

Oh, my yes. I felt the crossover-ness got a bit over the top, particularly with Hermes the Klown (love Kif as Smilin' Joe Fission, though!), but other than that I can only applaud the design and quality of this picture.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu May 10, 2007 9:37 am

I would have hoped I was clear about this. The extension, if it came, would only be for a day or two at the very most and it would be for people like fellranger, who might be working on something already but reckon the deadline is a little tight. We're not talking weeks here, people. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Timmo
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Timmo » Thu May 10, 2007 12:49 pm

A Spy in Mancunia wrote: Oh, my yes. I felt the crossover-ness got a bit over the top, particularly with Hermes the Klown (love Kif as Smilin' Joe Fission, though!), but other than that I can only applaud the design and quality of this picture.
mrgrotey wrote: :D oh mate that nuclear safety pic kills them all, fantastic work there timmo, nice one! really great artwork, your hard work shines through
Thanks for the feedback guys!
I agree that the crossover-ness could go over the top, that's why I tried to make the Hermes and Kiff appearances a lot more subtle, and not really a main focus point of the artwork.
I guess it's a good thing that I dismissed my idea of turning the nuclear safety control panel into Calculon!

I'm looking forward to seeing any last-minute entries! I can see people have put in a lot of effort for this!
Smokin Joe
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Smokin Joe » Thu May 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Archonix: A few days isn't a big deal. As long as someone gets an extension at the end of that period.

Spy Guy: More like Artist A sees a good work from Artist B so Artist A enters another work to out do Artist B. Artist B sees Artist A 2nd work...
Pretty soon both are demanding more time.

A less creditable site could also extend deadlines indefinitely to promote site use without ever actually going to the expense of awardng the prizes. Sort of "the dog ate my homework" vs. "the check is in the mail".
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu May 10, 2007 2:38 pm

I obviously wasn't clear at all. The point was for people who are already working on something. Extending deadlines indefinitely would be stupid. :)
— Piet Hein - Grooks
mrgrotey
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by mrgrotey » Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm

I think what everyone needs to know is, not 'if it came it would be this', but is there an extention or not? if so how long.  either way, can it please be stated in black and white for the record. :)
People said I was Dumb, but I proved them!