Competition comments and Entry Announcement thread

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Competition comments and Entry Announcement thread

Post by archonix » Thu May 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Well, one and a half days left and nobody seems to want one, so I guess not. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Genghis Tron
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Genghis Tron » Thu May 10, 2007 11:27 pm

I actually had a quick question about my own art.  I posted the drawings individually, but since they each featured one character having a career chip change I was hoping to group them together as a single entry (the question was what if the Futurama 'cast' got different career chips).  No worries if they have to be separate entries, just wondering.  Thanks!

On an unrelated note, there's some seriously good color work going on here.  Nice jobs you guys.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 11, 2007 9:17 am

@zandernice's entry: This is... wow! It's always great to see something in a different style now and then, and when it's as good as this, well, excellent. Everyone's own image of the characters will differ, of course, but I particularly like Leela and Hermes. Shame they're stuck in such a dead-end job, but at least they're all in it together.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
tmcollins
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by tmcollins » Fri May 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Hey, I just wanted to let people know that I changed around my postings for the competition so that the first is the original drawing and the second is a revision (different, and hopefully better, image).  Sorry for the confusion.
Ilyich
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Ilyich » Fri May 11, 2007 6:14 pm

It's great to see so many interesting entries! :) Especially like Smoking Joe's "Sunset in Cydonia" and zandernice's Slurm factory.
I want to participate too, but I'm running a bit late and would be very grateful for another day (or two) to work on my entry.
Sometimes we look at all the problems we face
and we can only complain
but look around at the advances we've made
after all we used to live in a cave
zandernice1

Post by zandernice1 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:50 am

ha, thanks guys! I love all the entries here. I cant wait for the new season next year -
Jesper Kondrup

Post by Jesper Kondrup » Sat May 12, 2007 3:15 pm

I was working really hard/fast to meet the dealine 12/05 but when I read the comment:

"The new closing date is the 12th of May"

I am not sure whether I can still post a picture with some changes if I do it today?
I think I will go for it, and then you can decide if it is OK or not  ;)

Best Regards

Jesper Kondrup
Smokin Joe
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Smokin Joe » Sat May 12, 2007 5:06 pm

It usually means until Midnite of the stated day and I would assume it would be Midnite by the clock at the top of the Forum page. And I think that is London, England time (GMT?).
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Sat May 12, 2007 6:35 pm

The Power that Be said back on page 3 that it's the end of the 12th, which I think means midnight on forum time.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat May 12, 2007 7:57 pm

The end of the 12th os the official deadline, however I'm going to be away until monday, so that's an unofficial extension of one whole day for you to play with. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
sick_pickles
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by sick_pickles » Sun May 13, 2007 1:41 am

well, it seems gushing hyperventilating praise must be given.
assistant crone, that underwater piece rocks.
like, maybe you should be awarded a nobel peace prize rocks.
which doesn't make any sense.
cause it rocks that much.

ok i'm done  :)

finishing up one more..it's..kind of odd. hooray! maybe it will therefore stand out in judging! maybe?  ;)
i think i might have gotten at least seven in, but i was delayed with having to actually study for AP tests XD

boogie french fries to all my fellow submitters  ;D
Last edited by sick_pickles on Sun May 13, 2007 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
oh, to wallop with the muskrats once more...
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Sun May 13, 2007 2:14 am

Pazuuuuuzuuuuuuu!
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 13, 2007 8:20 am

@Beb: I'm speechless, but just so you don't think I'm speechless because I think your picture is bad (yeah, right), I'll tell you it's good. Really, really good. It took me a while to see Cthulhu in the far background, that's how good it is. (And I notice that Zoidberg isn't in the picture, possibly because he has some cultural thing against harvesting the dismembered bodies of his species for food.)

And hey, naked Farnsworth is really, really funny!

@sick pickles: I really like the colouring on this one. Raw energy.

@fellranger: Yay, you got in on time! Very much in the show's style, beautiful colouring, and we definitely need more art with the Professor's faithful fiend.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Sun May 13, 2007 2:51 pm

sick_pickles, Chris: Thank you!
I notice that Zoidberg isn't in the picture, possibly because he has some cultural thing against harvesting the dismembered bodies of his species for food.
ZOIDBERG: What? Food? Where?

Now, I got some commentin' to do.  ;D

ETA: Second bunch of comments is below. BTW, iamtherealbender: thanks for rescanning your PotC parody! Much clearer (and funnier) now.  :)

milksong: 20th Century Man
This idea is just the sort of thing they’d have on the show – I’m reminded of that lunar rover ride. The depiction may not be accurate but I doubt their poses would be very different if they were all from the distant past.  ;D

cris: Cop Bender / Nun Leela
First pic: Leela’s pose is great, and I giggled when I realised that she’s literally a flying nun. Second pic: Now I suppose New New Yorkers are going to be arrested for ‘having a nice fat wallet’ or ‘casting aspersions on the reflectivity of my ass’. Cop Bender will be getting together with Doc Bender in my nightmares.

Megan: Librarian Fry
The most important job completed, Fry takes a nap on… hmm, A History of Pillows? Fry’s off-model but recognisable, and I like the amusing details.

Genghis Tron: Frankenchrist / dialysis Bender / Head Museum Curator Fry / Sniper Leela / Weapons Inspector Zoidberg / Fox Hypnotoad
All of the new careers are brilliantly suited to the maximum amount of damage each character could do. Farnsworth’s rant is hilarious, everyone’s in character and those are the tastiest-looking superweapons I’ve ever seen. Hypnotoad, please could you make these ideas into an episode? I would also like a bag of doom peppermints.

mrgrotey:
Swapped Career Chips
Leela’s expression is the best I’ve seen on her, ever. I like Fry as Zoidberg, too – hopefully he remembers how to do the Apology Dance.

E. Payne: FutureCast
Hey, I voted for that lobster! Fry and Farnsworth made me cackle (I’m so glad someone else drew an unclothed Farnsworth; now I don’t look so creepy), but I think my favourite thing is Amy’s disgruntled Chihuahua.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 15, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Timmo
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Timmo » Wed May 16, 2007 1:59 pm

When are the winners being announced? Hasn't the competition finished?