The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager

The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Post by Bothead » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:44 pm

This is my newest script based on the video game, Soul Calibur 2. After a marathon gaming session invovling Bart, Lisa and Milhouse playing SC 2, they and several other characters have been transported into the game. While in the game they gain the weapons, move sets and clothes of certain SC 2 characters. They realise that in order to get home they have to defeat the game and its fighters.
Attachments
SimpCalibur.txt
(126.07 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Re:The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:42 pm

Mmmmhmm. Possibly your best script so far, Bothead. In fact, the quality of your writing still seems to be curving upwards. And you have a knack for parody.

(Some spoilers to follow.)

That said, it might not have been to my taste. I like "Soul Calibur" (the first game; haven't played "Soul Calibur II" much), but I'm not sure whether the plot (or lack thereof) lends itself to a script. I think you did the best you could with the material, though, and you write nice, very visual fight scenes. (I think I'd prefer to see them on screen, though. That sort of thing palls fast to read, even in the "Iliad".)

There are quite a few typos, particularly near the end, which could easily be removed with spellcheck.

That said (again) I think you've introduced the game quite well for readers who haven't played it. I particularly like your description of Voldo. (Yes, Voldo is my favourite character of the games. Either he or Ivy.)

Simple as the story is, I ended up enjoying it. Still, the dialogue is where this script really shines. Everyone's in character (I particularly enjoyed Milhouse, Comic Book Guy, and to a lesser extent Marge), and there are some lines here which wouldn't be out of place on the show. I laughed out loud several times reading it.

Highlights, in my opinion: the Lemmings in the floor, Marge's continual worrying, the Assassins' beer party on the boat, the battle with Patty and Selma (particularly the way all the men are drooling over them), the mocking of Comic Book Guy, Bart's ignored battle versus Charade, everyone being transported into "Gran Turismo", and of course the final battle. Nice and quite complex, that was.

The very ending wasn't bad either, if a bit indebted to "Frinky Fantasy". On the other hand, that can be excused. Yay, the Pimply Teenager!

To sum up: maybe not my kind of story, but a worthy fanfic in itself, particularly in terms of characterisation and humour. I recommend it!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Bothead

Re:The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Post by Bothead » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:18 pm

Thank you very much for the review! Not just because you liked it but also because I've been waiting for one for a while. There were one or two moments I left out beacuse they were too long. One of them was the gang being transported to a WWE Smackdown game. I took it out because it was just an excuse to put The Rock in it. I was trying not to be too linear with the script compared to my other parodies, which is why I had them doing moves they probably don't have in thew game or having the arenas play a bigger part (like Selma's sword entangled into the cage). This has made my day, so thanks again.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Dracula
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Post by Dracula » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:05 pm

Goog story I liked it
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: The Sword of Heroic Heroicness

Post by Meteorite » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:51 pm

Dracula wrote: Goog story I liked it
While we're more lenient about old fanfic review threads being bumped, bumping a two year old review thread just to post a mispelled five-word sentence is not acceptable.  Either put more thought into your reviews, or don't bother posting at all.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.