Offsite Fic Rec Thread!

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Offsite Fic Rec Thread!

Post by missy_misery » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:08 pm

I THINK this is the most fitting forum for this thread - if it'd work better in "Creative Pen" or the other boards, please do move it there.

Since we all love a good story!  This thread is for all of the Simpsons and Futurama Fics that you like and currently AREN'T a part of Simpworks.com! 

My Rec: Background Noise by Dave Vincent.  Intense, well-written, cerebral and loaded with action, there's also humor and a wee bit of romance thrown in as well. 

Anyone else?
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Offsite Fic Rec Thread!

Post by archonix » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:11 pm

I'm surprised nobody else followed up on this!

Here's one: Blame it on the Brain, by a guy named Coldangel. It's posted in amongst forum threads but I'm sure a completed version will turn up soon.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 pm

I really like Coldangel's fic work - he's actually been posting fanart stuff to this archive, though not his fics.

Rec #3 - I've always had a major soft spot for Officer 1BDI Roll The Credits. It's a  dark read, but well-written.
Fixed your link - Graham
Last edited by archonix on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Oh yes, I read that one a while ago. Dark is an understatement... but it was well written, for sure. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks for the fix, Graham!

Rec #4: Venus' Sixteen Days, another one of those fics that has a tidge of everything.  The good characterisation's icing on the cake.

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:21 pm

how to write a shippy Futurama fanfic.

This had me in stitches. :)
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Red_Line
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Red_Line » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Archonix wrote: how to write a shippy Futurama fanfic.

This had me in stitches. :)
Yes, that's very good.

Re Coldangel, all of his fics are in the Madhouse archive: http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/fanfic/indexc.shtml#coldangel

The Morning is one of my favorites and would get my vote for one of the all time top ship fics.

Another top contender is Ramon's Futurama/Band of Brothers Crossover  (I linked to his author index since the fic is in four parts).
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 am

Good finds, Sine_Wave.  I like Ramon's work for the most part - his latest is good, prose-wise.

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:46 pm

That was red_line... ;) all these underscore names do me in too.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Argh!  Sorry, Red_Line!! :-X

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

'Tis the season to read fanfic

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Actually, the following fics are on this site, but I felt like directing readers to some enjoyable Christmas-themed fanfics:

Glass Green by Missy

Red Sleigh Rising by me (self-promotion, I know, but I thought it was funny when writing it)

Feel free to add your own recommendations.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:55 pm

I've always liked The Forgotten Diary, by Purplefish.  It's a "Fix-Time Keeps on Slipping" story, but a good one.
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
FRY: Fry's dog!
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Mi Mancherai by A.M. Dressel is an excellent post-movie action/adventure piece.  The author does some good stuff with Ruth and Laura Powers in this piece.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:35 pm

I finally managed to read "How to Write a Shippy Futurama Fanfic". Urgh. I mean, it was very funny and smart and all, but the material spoofed just made me sick. (I obviously can't blame the author for that.) Why do fans insist on raping Leela's character like this?  :leela

I guess some aberrations of the fandom are just too upsetting to me, even when parodied.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:58 pm

Not a fic, but this article on dialogue and just about everything else by this writer are immensly useful and, in some cases, should be required reading for anyone who wants to be a writer.
Last edited by archonix on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Piet Hein - Grooks