REVIEW: Steppin' Out (1/1) (Fry/Leela)

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

REVIEW: Steppin' Out (1/1) (Fry/Leela)

Post by missy_misery » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:35 am

Since this is entirely beta'd - wrote it for a livejournal challenge, and she wanted Fry/Leela Valentine's Day fic. As per request, lotsa fluff, and little toothless, esp. for a Futurama fic. Enjoy?

SUMMARY: Fry and Leela celebrate Valentine's Day in Space.
Attachments
FramaSmallFandom.txt
(5.89 KiB) Downloaded 4584 times
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: REVIEW: Steppin' Out (1/1) (Fry/Leela)

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Typoes: "When he told her that and she rolled her eye;" seems to have an extraneous "and"; the very last sentence is in the present tense (that might have been intentional, though).
“Fry! You’re going to damage the hull!” She shouted
"she" shouldn't be capitalised.

Also, this may just be my own stupidity, but I've never heard the word "equimancy" before, and googling it gives me either fantasy RPG stuff or this fic.

The writing is flawless and beautiful, which is admittedly to be expected from you. In fact, it's good even for one of your stories. The description of zero gravity is beautiful. While the emphasis isn't on comedy, there are a few good jokes (like the soup can one, and the various over-the-top things Fry wants to get Leela are hilarious), and the opening banter between Fry and Bender is hilarious. There is a very sweet and poetic ambience to the whole thing, and it generally feels like a realistic date: not too perfect, but they are clearly well matched. Everyone seems to be in character. Fry seems a bit overly apologetic and downbeat at some points, but that could be explained by the situation. (Also, it shows that he's trying to change a bit.)

There is nothing bad about this story. I prefer stories with a bit more meat on them (either plot or comedy), but this story fulfils what it set out to do. Recommended.

My score: A-
Last edited by c_nordlander on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks so much for reading it, Chris - I admit it's utterly and totally light on content and high on sap for a fic of mine, but I couldn't quite resist the prompt. Glad you liked it!

*Makes note to self to send this off to F_MH*

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
shoerecruiter
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by shoerecruiter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:02 am

Hello,
I thought that if I was asking people to review my work that I should also do theirs. I agree with the review that was before me with the grade of A-. I also would like more meat to the story. Especially when it gives me a clue as to the author's insight. if you could've had Fry overcoming an objection that Leela has in her heart. This way maybe males like me could learn how to communicate with the other half. I look at writing as an opportunity to educate through situations. Or maybe Leela gioving more reasons/explanations on why Fry fails.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! If you'd like fuller insight into how I write the characters, please feel free to browse the archive; I've written a lot of much longer Fry/Leela pieces; this was an impulsive one-off.
shoerecruiter wrote: If you could've had Fry overcoming an objection that Leela has in her heart. This way maybe males like me could learn how to communicate with the other half. I look at writing as an opportunity to educate through situations.
That tends to be a common theme in Fry/Leela pieces, and one I thus tend to avoid. Also, this isn't intended to be an educative narrative, sorry. Some writing - and this piece in particular - are impulsive exercises that just exist to entertain.