Review: UPGRADE by Robert Stewart

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
shoerecruiter
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Review: UPGRADE by Robert Stewart

Post by shoerecruiter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 pm

This is a continuation of the story of kidplay. Sorta like what would the Professor do next. You should see some of the ideas that Gulliver/Robert Fitzpatrick and I talk about. If you don't like it just blame Bob. Since we're both named Robert we do this at work all the time so neither of our feelings gets hurt. Actually I wrote it so the buck stops here. Blame me!
Attachments
UPGRADE - Copy.docx
I used Microsoft Word Starter 2010
(31.09 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Review: UPGRADE by Robert Stewart

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:52 pm

First of all, there's quite a few grammar and punctuation errors in this story. I won't clutter this review up with them, but if you want a list so you can fix them, drop me a line in PM and I'll send it to you.

There are some interesting ideas here. I liked the MallStar from Gulliver's story, and it's fun to see another fic involving it. The concept behind the panels is pretty neat.
Spoiler
It has the makings of an interesting time-travel plot.

There are some nice descriptions here. Some of it is overly florid, but I like the one of
Spoiler
voice. There are some other good ones as well. Everyone seems to be in character, too.

There are a couple of good jokes. Especially "Oooh, X!" nearly killed me.

On the downside... this may seem overly harsh, but this story doesn't work at all for me. The storyline at the outset, with the panels and the lost money, works pretty well. (It's a bit confusing, and the money storyline could perhaps do with a few more sentences to clarify the situation, but basically it works well.) However, once they got to the MallStar, the story lost me. Too much is happening, with not enough description to explain what's going on. Some characters are referred to just by "_____". I assume you were meaning to put their names there.

Then the time travel story picks up again, and seems to be heading for a conclusion, but then the plot turns utterly weird. I don't understand why everyone turns into characters from old TV shows. And then the story breaks off, just like that. I don't know whether it's meant to be concluded in a sequel, but since it doesn't say so anywhere in the document, I only have this story to go on.

On a more mundane level, the writing is rather dry in places. Not bad, but very bare-bones. When you try for a bit more descriptiveness, it gets weird as often as not. That paragraph about looking at the blood vessels in girls' eyelids came completely out of nowhere and doesn't add anything to the story.

Again, I don't mean to sound harsh, but while this fic has some good ideas and a couple of very funny lines, the complete lack of closure means that it doesn't work as a story, and there is some other weirdness as well (such as the understrokes instead of names). I know you can write proper story arcs: "Kid Play" has a complete storyline and works well.

My score: C- (Highlight if it doesn't show up.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
shoerecruiter
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: Review: UPGRADE by Robert Stewart

Post by shoerecruiter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you for that review. I believe that it is a very fair review. I'm going through a lot with my wife's breast cancer and disability through advanced diabetes. And I know I just didn't finish up the story.