REVIEW - What Is And Should Never Be

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

REVIEW - What Is And Should Never Be

Post by jenny » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:32 pm

It's a quick fic! ;D

I threw this together in about an hour and a half, and thought I might as well post it. It's not particularly fantastic, but it might be of interest to those Marge fans out there. %2)

Yes, it is named after a Led Zeppelin song...
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Re: REVIEW - What Is And Should Never Be

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:39 pm

By golly by jingo by gosh by gim...

OK, I am aware how grating it is when a reviewer starts gushing mindlessly, but "Life on the Fast Lane" is one of my favourite episodes of all time, and this fic... it sent chills down my spine. Almost brought tears to my eyes a few times near the end, as well. I prefer not to go into particulars, I don't want to spoil to those who have not yet had the pleasure of reading it. Suffice it to say, everyone was in character (Jacques didn't seem as sinister as he did in the episode, mind you, but I guess that from Marge's POV he wouldn't), and that made me realise how close this story bordered on tragedy. Brightest of all, of course, Marge shone.

Nothing more to say, really. This is awesome.

[size=0.8]Yeah, you made me emote again. I might have to stop reading your stories soon, you're ruining my rugged macho image.[/size]
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:06 pm

I can't add anything, i couldn't possibly try and nitpick this.
It was so full of emotion and so well in charachter that.. that...

Do you have a tissue?
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:33 pm

Jenny...beautiful story. :'(

I'm amazed at how much depth you got in such a short amount of time...that's great writing! Sure, we have some background on this story, but the mindset of Marge was beautifuly written...as well as Lisa and poor, poor Homer. Wait...he was a jackass. That's why Marge ended up where she was. But...only a man who is truly in love knows when he has hurt the one he loves...and only a woman in love would notice the subtle messages that the man she loves really is incredibly sorry. Ahhhhh...the painting really wrapped up this story with all the emotion of a tidal wave. I didn't cry...because the wife and kids are around...but the next time I read it, and I'm alone...I'll have a tissue ready.

Wonderful work Jenny. ;)
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:54 pm

Another wonderful story, Jenny. I simply love the way you described Marge's emotions (especially when she was comparing her dreaming to her actual life). The description of Jacques (who was a lot more sympathetic than in the episode) only adds to this. Simply beautiful, simply touching...once again, I'm impressed.
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:40 pm

Deep, profound, and the best of all... SHORT! ;D Just kidding, mind you. This was superb. You know, I also liked the original episode very, very much, and I'm amazed on how well you managed to show the story with a different light. More dramatic edge and covering every angle and corner of the story. It feels complete and satisfying, and the whole thing evolved perfectly, creating a great flow. It is truly emotive without being any sacharine at all, and I truly appreciate that.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Tibor
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Tibor » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:20 am

Wow...  It was, like you said a quick fic, but the emotion there is really astonishing.  There's not to much to say.  I felt that I really cared for these characters, and that is one of the greatest things a story can do for me.  Oh, and I like the Led Zep reference. :)
Fighting the power and losing, since 1934.
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by Hera_Potter » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:02 pm

:'(

My legs feel weak, even though I'm sitting down...
Otherwise, I'm speechless... how you got into Marge's head like that... and stuff....

Everything else has been said.
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase