Woodland Scene

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Woodland Scene

Post by fellranger » Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:06 pm

A second rare pencil sketch :D This time it's just a pensive looking Lisa sitting under a tree with her saxophone. I have no idea what she's doing there.....I just felt like drawing some trees.....
It might even work this time...
Last edited by fellranger on Sun Jul 27, 2003 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
msj2487
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Re:Woodland Scene

Post by msj2487 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:16 pm

Fellranger that is very nice! That background is superb! Lisa's face is a bit off, but the rest looks awesome. Her saxophone is nicely drawn, but those trees and grassy areas take a hell of alot of talent and you've got that! Nice job, I can't wait to see what your next pic will be.
"That's how ya learn, by askin questions ya dumbass!" --Carl

"I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked." --Homer

"How can I prove we're live..........Penis!" --Kent Brockman
Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:32 am

That's quite impressive!
I liked your previous Lisa&Maggie pic a lot, and this one lives up to your skill. I like how you put attention to details in the background, it must have taken lots of time. It has a nice atmosphere. I like Lisa's Sax too, it's very fitting to the real counterpart. Lisa though could use some work, especially on the head. She looks fine, but eyes are a bit too big imo, or the head is too little. There should be more space between the upper limit of her eyes and the tangent of the circle where the spikes reside. Other than that, it's a beaut.

Keep on the great work!
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:14 am

I agree, this is a very, very, nice piece. The background really does shine out technically, with all the detail of the wooden grain and the grass. Lisa's expression is great, too. Very pensive. I personally think that this one is quite a bit better than you Lisa and Maggie one, techinque wise. Shows definate improvement. In short, I really like it. :)

Downsides, well, just the slight off model-ness of Lisa. But it is only slight. I find that between 1.25 and 1.75 eye-diameters, from the top of her centre-most eye (left, in this case), is about the right distance for the circle the spikes rest on. The arms and upper body look a little long, too. The distance from the top of her dress to the lowest points of the spikes should be ~ the same distance as from her lower jaw to the highest spike of her hair when standing, and her fingertips should just be level with the bottom of her dress when her arms hang down (again, when standing)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:54 pm

Yes! This is some magnificent work, indeed. If possible, a little rework on Lisa would pretty much do the trick. What D.B. and Marco said just nail it. Well, other than that, it's just amazing. I liked very much the style of the drawing, the texture and everything. Very unique and inspirational.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão