Supersoft by Orange Box

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re: Supersoft by Orange Box

Post by D.B. » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:56 pm

*Pat hyperventilates*
LisawithwingsLisawithwingsLisawithwings...

...*ahem*, what I mean is, I love it to bits. There's loads of great touches, but the one which first got me was the highlights on her hair - wonderfully simple yet effective. The splashes of water coming from the bath and her wings are great too, as is giving her that plaster on her arm. It's just generally supurb. And as for getting art books and taking tutorials... damn, it's a shame you're going to stop for a while, but I'm already looking forward to whatever you're going to produce later ;)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Re: Another Winged Lisa!

Post by Orange Box » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Dark Mage wrote:
Orange Box wrote: Lately, I've been very dissatisfied with my artistic skills,
...Why?
Eh.. the more I draw, the more mistakes I see in my own pics :doh: I'd like to brush up on anatomy, and improve line control (Victoria and Ms. Molloy, how much for your hands? Let's make a deal!).

Anyway, good to know that the pic has struck a cord with wing-lovers. Mmmmm... wings. *drool*

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:18 pm

Orange Box wrote: Eh.. the more I draw, the more mistakes I see in my own pics :doh: I'd like to brush up on anatomy, and improve line control (Victoria and Ms. Molloy, how much for your hands? Let's make a deal!).
Hey, don't hog down the hands here. Let's split evenly, can we? :)

Anyway, i am very sorry of my totally useless "crying smiley" post before this. You all know what effects have on me such beautiful pictures, and this time i broke down and couldnt write anything meaningful.
If we add that this is the most beautiful "Wings" pic i ever saw and how much i love this theme, i hope my reaction is just a little bit understandable. There's so much beauty in this pic that my heart had a hard time trying to fit it all in.

I just want to reach out and hug her(but then i think Marge would hate me even more, and i'm not very fond of black eyes).
Every little detail on this pic is just perfect. :) From the wet wings to the bubbles, to the hair, and the water flowing from the fauset. The markings on the wall!
It's all perfect, and it's the work of a mastermind. If you think you need to train on lineart and anatomy, ok, but i think that your personal style goes wonderfully with these kind of simpsonic pics. It's simple, not overrealistic, but chock full of emotions.

And congratulations for the little poem. It just adds that little bit of emotion that makes the pic alive and breathing inside my mind.
Just, congratulations. I would gladly shed more than a tear on this, and *not* because of envy... :)
Last edited by Marco on Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:09 am

Several days passed, hopefully I can speak more sober now. :)

OB, this is your best picture so far, and at the same time is one of the best Simpsons-related pictures I've ever seen. I could say it's the best Simpsonic picture EVER, but I don't want to offend other good artists here. Besides, I'm definitely biased here. ;) I love it to the last bits! Lisa's saddened expression, her wings (you've even found the great compromise between their beauty, convenience and ability to fly! sorry for going into those details... but that aspect really impressed me), other details such as water traces or the bubbles in the air... and the poem! I still have no words to describe my feelings, I just love this picture. Huge thanks for it... you know, you made me really happy man. :) Like FLWS illustration by Marco, like your Stork pic, I'm planning to print out this picture as soon as possible. Also I second Tommy's opinion - before nitpicking it, one should draw something better first. If he can, of course.

P.S. If you want to improve your skills, it's your decision of course. But I'm anxious that any serious change will make your drawing style worse. Let's face the truth - even if you will make your style better, who will be able to estimate it except you or Marco? Like any other responder, currently I'm at the top level of my admiration. So I don't like your idea. :( At least, don't go into any other style, please! Your combination of Simpsonic and realistic styles is perfect. Sorry for the stupid reaction, that's just my opinion, nothing more...

P.P.S. Again, thank you so much. Wish I could do something equivalent for you too! But I can't...
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:53 pm

OB, your Wings picture is something very special.  Your talent is evident in your other pictures but the combination of technique and emotion in this one make it one of the most beautiful I've ever seen.  The detail of the water running from Lisa's wings really brings the picture to life.  At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical art critic, I think it gives a real feeling of movement in the picture - as do the bubbles and the running water from the tap.  Given that Lisa is in a static pose that feeling of motion is extremely impressive.  I am also amazed by Lisa's hair - I think it's the best balance between realisim and the Groening style that I've ever seen.  It's texture is so lifelike and yet Lisa's familier spikes are instantly recognisable.     
I don't see any problem with you wanting to improve your technique although in my estimation you are already up there with the best.  I hope you won't be taking too long a break from drawing!       
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:14 am

I'm really sorry about the rating system, OB. is right everyone deserve recognition - beginner or advanced.  Well, I have only one thing to say I love your last picture, is my favorite from your bunch.  ;)

P.S. Next time I want to show something, I will use my own pics, sorry about that.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:14 pm

@Tommy: http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.php?topic=4927.0 This is the fanfic it's based on. Well worth reading, too.

Well... everyone has already said what I think. Orange Box, this may well be, if not your best picture, at least the one I like most. The lighting is great, and I particularly love Lisa's hair (true to the show, yet realistic) and the waterdrops on her wings. There are no flaws here that I can see.

The little poem is heartrendingly clear and beautiful. (Well, I'm much more comfortable criticising literature than art.)

Of all the "Lisa with wings" pictures flooding this site, this is certainly one of a kind. Both you and Sergey, be proud.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 pm

I heard there was a big outbreak here, stupid holiday, I wish I saw it.

Pros: Exelent coloring, superb drawing, I've ran out of words for the effects. Technicly, its awsome. I see you put alot of effort into it. I respect that. Apart from the wing's, good imagination.

Cons: Its a winged Lisa picture. Come on... Overkill? And in a bath I think is a little bland. It would'nt be half bad if there was a reason.

Even if it is baised on a fanfic, I cant see the anything that look's like fanfic material. Although... I havent read it.

Overall, by all means, draw more winged pictures. Its good practice for the picture's technical side... Though by the look's of it, you dont need anymore practice!
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:06 am

Cons: Its a winged Lisa picture. Come on... Overkill? And in a bath I think is a little bland. It would'nt be half bad if there was a reason.
Well, it's an actual scene from the story (and OB pictured it very well - I imagined it exactly like this, believe or not). If it looks strange, it's not artist's fault, but writer's one.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:32 am

Casper wrote:
Even if it is baised on a fanfic, I cant see the anything that look's like fanfic material. Although... I havent read it.
Perhaps because it's a picture based on a fanfic based on a picture based on a fanfic.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks