... a bookworm, eh?

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Marco

... a bookworm, eh?

Post by Marco » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:14 pm

Well.. why not?

WARNING: THIS PIC CONTAIN INSANE AMOUNTS OF YELLOW (bare simpsonic skin).  So shield your eyes.
Now that the formalities are out of the way, you can click.

http://realities.simpworks.com/var/book ... lblogo.jpg

I know the books and background look pretty much different from the rest of the pic, this might be more or less noticeable. It's just because i rushed it off without knowing well how i would have done it :)

p.s.: There is a second version of this, with uh.. less books. Contact me if you're intersted in seeing it.

Edit: Updated with a bigger size (since the requests) and a little less mess on the sheet wrinkles.
Last edited by Marco on Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Re: ... a bookworm, eh?

Post by Ekko » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:31 pm

SimpReal wrote: p.s.: There is a second version of this, with uh.. less books. Contact me if you're intersted in seeing it.
*Contacts Marco repeatedly*
Holy Sweet Merciful Crap!!! Did that come out of left field...whoa. Man, this is gonna' take awhile to sink in...I need time to breathe. I'll post later with comments...*hyperventilates*
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:42 pm

Why not indeed.

I'm... at a loss for words. Beautiful pic! (And tastefully covered up, too) Perhaps a little OOC, but I don't know. :)

I've been staring at it for a while now, and can't seem to find any major faults, kudos!
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:12 pm

I knew it - Lisa does have a tail! Hmm, I wonder how much paedagogical value there is in staring at all these blank pages ;D

Seriously though, that's really good stuff (thumbs up for her hair and feet!). And what a stylish pair of reading glasses she's got! Nitpick: the shading on her left hand is a bit too rough, imo.

Reading books in the nude is something I'm yet to try... Nobody wants to see that for some reason.

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:17 pm

I'm feeling there'll be a lot of talk about that. Count me on your side, then. I like the pic and everything that goes with it.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:26 pm

Jaw.
DROP.
Just.
Wow.

Seriously, I can think of nothing ill to say of this.  I will say this:
"Vulgaris' heart, meet his throat; throat, heart.  Mucho gusto, igualmente, you know the bit.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back from the dead!
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:49 pm

*That is "pedagogical value"*,not "paedagogical value"

Well. I do have a lot of things to say.

First of all, and not to offend anyone, an artist is someone who tries in different media, style, format, among other things, and I have not seen anyone experimenting and succesfully acomplish these goals from since this board was created, with the exception of Beb and Marco here.

Secondly, The artistry on this pic is astoundingly good from anatomy to colours, from colours to composition;  The flow from the colours and the anatomy, only reflects genuine passion for what he is doing, hence he has not training in anatomy, he shows that he is a really good observer something that you don't have to go to school to learn.

Finally, I trully wish that all those jaw-drops,wows or any  :o, "if they appear" are for the pleasure of looking at such a marvelous illustration as a whole, and not just for the nudity.
Last edited by OARRIAGA2001 on Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:56 pm

First of all, what Omar said.

Secondly, I don't know what to say so I'll just say this.

Great artwork, and she has three toes.  Three toes! :)

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Ekko
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ekko » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:57 pm

oarriaga2001 wrote: I trully wish that all those jaw-drops,wows or any  :o, "if they appear" are for the pleasure of looking at such a marvelous illustration as a whole, and not just for the nudity.
Pleasure. Nudity. One in the same. ;D

Seriously though, this pic shows the artist was a little iffy about going into this topic, but it worked out just fine. It seems as Marco did indeed settle the dispute between the two facts. "Is Lisa a bookworm or a beautiful woman?" Great work. Also, I didn't think it was physically possible, but is this guy actually improving?! :o *cosmic*
Can you withstand the power of my super taunt?
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:05 pm

I liked this picture a lot. This is something really new and unusual. Of course it's a bit OOC, at least for me, but aside from that, it's amazing: nice subject, great lines and colors... incredible shading... I'm dying from envy right now; hope tomorrow I'll be able to think more sober. :) It's a great picture, Marco. Not your best one (comparing with One Last Sunrise, Lisa's Wedding, FLWS), but one of the best executed indeed. Argh, I don't know what else to say... it's great. I don't care about the subject, it's quite decent imo. But your phrase about "bookless" version bugs me a bit. EOF
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Perhaps I might make myself more clear, since I have no concealed feelings at all about that pic. I really, honestly liked the pic. It's up to Marco's standards - but I don't like it only for what it is, but for its presence here. I guess I just like artist that are intricate and hard-to-predict; like Bob Dylan, Lou Reed and Marco.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:51 pm

Pleasure. Nudity. One in the same. ;D
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you Ekko, you're certainly misleading your perception about pleasure and nudity on the topic, of course they might be related somehow, but not here.

I hope this does not offend you, take it as a teaching not as an awkward remark.  In art, "PLEASURE" comes from fulfilling your goal in any artform. You´ll feel pleasure the same way, when you draw a nice forest painting as if it is from drawing nudes, so they are not one in the same and they'll never be.
Last edited by OARRIAGA2001 on Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Marco

Post by Marco » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:58 pm

Okay okay, so i raised a little ruckus here :) Sorry about it.

My point: one is free to see in this or other pics like this whatever he/she wants to, this is the reason why most "artistic" nudes are so popular. There's no denying it, bare skin is a powerful magnet (and we have the prrof right here. I dont remember a thread growing so fast, ever). The problem (or how you want to call it) is when it becomes the ONLY thing to get the attention. It may be the case for this pic since i did a very half-hassed job on the books and background (but there is a reason why they are empty). You decide, but please, dont turn this thread into a discussion about it. This was just... something i wanted to try both for the learning/technical aspect and yeah, even for the unusual and forbidden subject. There are other reasons but they would be mostly boring. But I wouldn't have posted it here if i didnt know you guys could see it for what it was meant to be. Right? ;)

Now let me thank you all again, but allow me to be an hypocrite and ask everyone to drop the talk about the "particularity" of the subject in general. Let's stick to what we see. :)
Last edited by Marco on Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:12 am

SimpReal wrote:
Now let me thank you all again, but allow me to be an hypocrite and ask everyone to drop the talk about the "particularity" of the subject in general. Let's stick to what we see. :)
What i see is a quite beautiful piece of work, expert anatomy and brilliantly coloured!
The only thing i see that i don't approve of is the soft focus/blurring of some of the books. I don't know i just don't really like the effect, it might have been better all in focus!
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com
capadde
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by capadde » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:16 am

It's a beautiful pic, that's for sure. Very hard to find any flaws at all. My only nitpick would be her right arm, her elbow in particular. Something about it doesn't look quite right. Can't say exactly what, though.

The coloring is good, well, great. But it looks a little rushed. I know you've been busy with other things, so I might understand that you wanted to finish it quickly. Her hair is flawless, imo, but the lower part of her body looks rushed. It might be that her legs look a bit too bright in some parts.

But in all, it's impressive. Stunning.

But Lisa in the nude? Hmm... No.
What would you do if you found an angel on your balcony?