Sanctuary

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Marco

Sanctuary

Post by Marco » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:22 pm

Well well, after a good while, here's a new Angsty Lisa picture. Song inspired too (from where the weird title comes).
As always, i ended up rushing the picture at the end and many particulars are not nicely trated as others, and the tracing sucks in (many) points. A couple of perspective errors, and Lisa in the reflection is lit up incoherently, But i hope the important stuff is all there anyway :)

And if this doesnt bring you to suicide, i suggest you to follow the pic with a good read of the lyrics HERE and maybe, before Graham notices and takes down the mp3, listen the song here.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Sanctuary

Post by archonix » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:42 pm

Angst just took on a whole new meaning. I like the touch of the little note on the mirror...

Here's a question. What was written on the torn pages?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:56 pm

Wow, I'm just listening to a melancholic song, too ("Lied von der Erde" by Blüchel & von Deylen - "Song of the Earth" in English), it fits right into that autumn scene, and I guess it fits also to Lisa's mood, although it's not that frightening.

Anyway, needless to say I'm utterly impressed by the magic that allowed me to see this pic on my screen... I can see what you mean with "I rushed towards the end"; maybe the left part of her face in the mirror image (from our viewpoint) is a bit too bright, and there is a slight tracing error at her topmost hair spike, but otherwise it's just another masterpiece. The textures are awesome (how did you do that table?), and you can almost touch the curtain or catch those leaves. I think the small pupils add a lot to the angsty atmosphere, that's really scary - as well as the almost artificially clear image of the mirror.
Andreas

skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:33 pm

holy crap, thats one of the most amazing pieces of art i've ever seen! seriously, i love this so so much!!!

its just...wow
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:48 pm

Wow... there's so much detail that you don't know where to look first!
Splendid work - and very touching too.  :-[
Coloring and shading looks very realistic and you did a fine job modelling Lisa's hair: original but still on-model.

@andreas: is that song a pop-cover of Mahler's "Lied von der Erde"?
I so, I suggest listening to the original: a song-cycle with full orchestra written in 1908, with heart-rendering autumn-scenes like "Der Einsame im Herbst"...
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:06 am

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was Frank Sinatra's song "Thats life!"

Right... I think the cheek is too short, the elbow is too fat, and the left hand look's like it has two thumbs! However, this is nothing short of the best thing I've ever seen. I'm sorry Matt Hoffman, your No Handed 900 comes second to this picture. I mean, what more could you want?
The word 'perfect' doesnt suit this picture. That would be damn right insulting!

I would say all the thing's I like about it, but It would end up an essay.
Absolute exelence. Good job!

(*Save's as desktop background)
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:34 am

I won't say much words, I just love this picture. Poor Lisa, right now I want to hug her as never before.
Suspect it shows all your feelings towards her. Amazing job with coloring/shading, Marco.
Andreas

Post by Andreas » Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:35 am

tommy wrote: @andreas: is that song a pop-cover of Mahler's "Lied von der Erde"?
I so, I suggest listening to the original: a song-cycle with full orchestra written in 1908, with heart-rendering autumn-scenes like "Der Einsame im Herbst"...
It might be inspired by this, but it's definitely not a pop song. ;) It was composed by Harald Blüchel (better known as "Cosmic Baby") for the album "Mare Stellaris", a soundtrack for a show that was produced for the German planetariums in 2004. It's a mixture of ambient sounds, electronic and classical elements. You can listen to it here: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 69-8883767
Andreas

Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:07 am

Damn.  That's just cool.  And I agree with Graham about the note.  That's a great touch.  One of your best.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
intro111
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by intro111 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:03 am

wonderfull pic ... of course one of your best  :) ...

the coloring is so great ... omg ...
Marco

Post by Marco » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:13 am

Thank you all for your replies and kind comments. I'm glad you guys are not noticing the same huge amount of mistakes i see :P

As for the diary Graham, she was trying to write down in her diary the stuff that caused her to feel this way, but probably it hurted too much to do that and they were too bad/shameful/whatever to keep on paper, so she decided to tear away the pages and do what her mother does. Push it all inside herself and just smile to the world... except when she's in her personal sanctuary.

Okay, i know many of you are sick of Lisa pictures, and even angsty ones, so if you feel like protesting about it now, it's a good time.

MARCO: Okay, picture finished!
LISA: *sniff* Can i stop crying now?
MARCO: Uhm... no.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:25 pm

SimpReal wrote: LISA: *sniff* Can i stop crying now?
MARCO: Uhm... no.
Well, that's an uplifting thought at last... It's just a pose, right?  ;) We all know  :lisa: can turn on the waterworks whenever she wants!
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Er, no. Lisa cannot control her feelings so easily. Bart can.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:43 pm

I've little I can add that others haven't already said. There's some great lighting, shading and textures (no-one's mentioned the tears on her diary yet), and a wonderful sense of depth to a lot of it (the hair, the leaf, the bookcase in the mirror). Her pupils are really nice and shiney too, though they seem a little too small to me (though some people say they like them, so I guess it's a matter of taste).

In summary, you've made me horribly jealous (again). Please don't stop  :)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
KANG
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by KANG » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:23 pm

THIS PICTURE IS AWESOME AND IT`S THE BEST PICTURE YOU EVER MADE AND ANY FANARTIST EVER MADE FOR A LOOOOONG TIME AND NO, I DIDN´T HIT CAPSELOOK FOR EXIDENT!!!!!

*was taken to heaven and hell at one time for some seconds*