Unpleasant Issues

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Unpleasant Issues

Post by Orange Box » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:29 am

Y'ello! Image

Here's some stuff I felt that I needed to draw! Unpleasant topic, but someone had to tackle it, yes? Image

In chronological order: 1, 2, 3

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
KANG
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Unpleasant Issues

Post by KANG » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:34 am

Read to much Franz Kafka?  ??? ??? ???

Imp... press... if...

Okay, I was looking at those pictures for a while - the second picture i pure art - the only thing that bugs me on this is the Simpsons-influence... do real persons and this is a masterpiece.
The other two pictures are fantastic Simpson-fanart. Bart looks very wirred but the bug is so full of detail. Really, you have those skills...  :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:56 am

Don't like bugs, eh?

I agree with frank, actually. The second one is too good to be mere fanart, and the other two are darn good as well. Although... very orange.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Tigersrock144
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by Tigersrock144 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:08 am

Woah, not sure I understand the whole bug thing however, the drawings are brilliant and the shading, lighting, everything is more or less perfect, just, pretty creepy x_x, I was looking at the first for quite a while o_0, (Lisa looks really, really cute)
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:55 pm

DARK HELMET: Prepare for metamorphosis!  Are you ready, Kafka?

Pretty nifty (if a little creepy) pics!  That second one made me shiver...

The third one was cute.  I actually kinda like Lisa in the Charlie Brown shirt.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Commisar Geranovich wrote:Although... very orange.
That means I did it right! Image

Anyways, merci CoD, BR, CG, and LK! I love you guys. Image

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
CCD!

Post by CCD! » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Their drawings always have a special touch….  a quite enigmatic atmosphere….  :)   

insects? ….    I read the book of Kafka… and transmits the same sensation that is present in its drawings…  I can't  express …      is the air, the colors…  and the results are very….  but very special!  :D   

congratulations Orange Box!!!
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:47 pm

I'd walk away happy from an art museum after seeing this level of art. Very very impressive.
Do I dare criticise? Is there anything to criticise?! Well, I'll leave it to people who can actualy colour things.

Now I must figure out ways of stealing talent...
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
addictive
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by addictive » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:17 pm

Those are pretty creepy. But very well-drawn. [Why can't I draw like that?]
Find Me, A poem by Chris Dominowski.

If I am lost, and you do not care, will the search ever be fair?
Why am I here? What should I do?
The answer to this, I once knew.
Why should I be found if I always must hide?
I have tried so hard, my soul has died.
Over the years, In fear I have drowned. It is finally clear; I cannot be found.

Human, a poem by Chris dominowski

I wear sunglasses at night, but I carry a flashlight.
I turn from the flame, but stare at the ashes.
I walk into the woods, and never touch the trail.
I always look at my calander, but do not care what day it is.
I am the mixture of light and darkness; I am human.

Gazmanafc
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Gazmanafc » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:15 am

Those are big bugs.

Anyway, all three are very well drawn, though I like the third one best, I like the clothes Lisa is wearing.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:20 am

These are very distinctive, not to mention distinguished. I don't find them unpleasant (but then, I like insects), but they do have a creepy mood to them.

First one: nice choice of angle. The Simpsons kids look very nice (I like what you've done with their hair, particularly Lisa's), and the insect is, as other reviewers have pointed out, impressive. Nice glistening effects, and the wings are very pretty. Perhaps the wings shouldn't have such a sharp outline, but that's a minor nitpick.

Second one: probably the best of the bunch, artistically speaking. Colours, lighting, the transparency of the bedspread... I have nothing to add. Just great.

Third one: a bit of a different style again, which gave me a slight jolt, but nice. It certainly shows a lot of fear.

Well, to sum up, an impressive set of pictures. There's certainly a story behind them.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:48 pm

Ok, Ob.  I will deeply con-crit your art only bacause I know you can take it. *Omar hopes that OB is not depressed about criticism.

First pic.-

Because of the cartoonish way of this pic is hard to find something wrong.  Perspective-wise it looks ok.  The downshot on the kids emphasizing deph as with the background is to be proud of; specially when lacking an art background, or so I think you dont.
The kids aren't on model, but hey, not even I can make them on model yet.  Morpheus criticism on my art proves that, and I accept it willing to improve.  I have to point out a terrible mistake on  Bart's shadow.  You went over the top with this.  It creates a hole in the picture and the worse part is that it is right in the center of the pic.  Its like a black whole riiiiight in the middle of the whole piece.   Something else: If bart is casting a shadow behind him, then where is the light that is suppost to be hitting his head.  (Now, you have to find out where it goes by yourself, buddy)  There is no light, but just a few streaks of it dispersed all over his hair.   

Emotions are very clear here. I love Lisa's pointing another "poisonous bug" in fear.

Second Pic.-

I love water color effects!

Here you tried something out of your league and sadly fail.  If you look closely at where the insect is on marge you'll see that some part of Marge was completely taken out or just painted on.

I can see two different drawings in this one. One from the waist up and the second one from the waist down.  Both appear to connect with each other in a rather stange way. The insect being the point of intersection.  Whatever happend with Marge's hips?  And where is Homer's Big STOMACH.  I know you could have done it correctly, but I guess you took too much time on this and got bored, or maybe thats just how you work.  Colors is something that indeed bring a picture up, I know, but I have seen you being quite the anatomist at times.  So I'm asking you what the heck happened here.  Did you forget about those principles while being away fromthe forum and purely concentrated with colors?

I like the BG.  iT DEFINATELY suits with the whole setting, even if scary.  Even when you used 2 planes in here, they are hardly noticeable, except on Marge's body from the insect up, because from the waist down the whole sheets  are indeed confused as part of the BG.  You really needed more job on details there to avoid this illusions and the lack of depth.  If I was going to judge this pic I would prefer to cut the right part of the pic and just forget about it.  The left part is another story.

The third pic.-

Purely abstract.  No comments there.

I will add some specific regions on the pic as soon as I get my pc up and running-
Never judge a book by its cover.....
fellranger

Post by fellranger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:25 pm

I've got to disagree with you on the second pic Omar.  I think OB got Marge's hips about right, the problem for me is the height of the blanket to the right of the bug which I reckon should be lower.  Likewise, Homer's stomach is in there, behind (from the viewer's POV) the bug.  I think the position of the bug's front left leg (from it's POV...this is getting confusing...)on Homer flattens the perspective and reduces the depth in the picture but the big guy's gut is definitely present!    I'm not convinced that the sheets/blankets over Marge are confused with the background as the colour defines them.  This is less so with the sheets on Homer's side of the bed and may account for the lack of obvious stomach.  I think a case could be made for more definition on the sheets but on the other hand, the blurred edges do fit the etherial mood of the picture.  Let's face it, objects do appear less defined in the dark.
There are some really nice little details in this picture, like the feathery antennae on the bug...and Homer's drool!
With the first picture, I can only echo what others have said about the angle used, unusual and interesting, I also like the oil paint effects in the background.  Lisa's top lip looks a bit wobbly though that may have been intentional.  In the third pic I'm not sure the movement lines behind Lisa are necessary as it's already got a good feeling of movement to it.  It also looks a little hazy to me (like the brightness is too far up) - I'm pretty sure it's not my monitor but you never know...
I think that's a really interesting trio of pics...and a hell of a roach infestation...

There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
OARRIAGA2001

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Ewwww. Dont mention it!  I despise rouches, or bees whatever they are.  *Hit and Run the game comes to mind.
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:34 am

CCD! wrote: Their drawings always have a special touch….  a quite enigmatic atmosphere….  :)   

congratulations Orange Box!!!
Thanks, CCD! Image It means much coming from you -- I love the dynamic atmosphere that is present in all your drawings.

Everyone else -- grazie mille! (And yup, the piccies are loaded with mistakes!) Eek, I simply can't force myself to work on a drawing for more than two days. Image I'll just have to learn to quadruple my drawing speed. Image

Orange Box