I'll Give Anything For Help.

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
addictive
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

I'll Give Anything For Help.

Post by addictive » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:11 am

Yep, that's the title. Just a little thing I put together in less than 10 minutes. Nothing that good, but I'd figure that I'd post it anyway. Sorry, But I didn't color it. Enjoy. The attachment button doesn't support .gif, so here's a link: http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ingbk3.png
Find Me, A poem by Chris Dominowski.

If I am lost, and you do not care, will the search ever be fair?
Why am I here? What should I do?
The answer to this, I once knew.
Why should I be found if I always must hide?
I have tried so hard, my soul has died.
Over the years, In fear I have drowned. It is finally clear; I cannot be found.

Human, a poem by Chris dominowski

I wear sunglasses at night, but I carry a flashlight.
I turn from the flame, but stare at the ashes.
I walk into the woods, and never touch the trail.
I always look at my calander, but do not care what day it is.
I am the mixture of light and darkness; I am human.

Dagdamor

Re: I'll Give Anything For Help.

Post by Dagdamor » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:58 am

Okay... I can only wonder once again how your vision of Lisa differs from the situations you put her in... quite sad and bleak scene you picture there. Technically, this picture is better than your old ones, so you're improving. But I don't like the subject.

Re: "I put together in less than 10 minutes" - this doesn't sound either as an excuse or as a boasting to me, honestly. You draw a picture only once; but people look at it many times afterwards. Simple logic tells that it makes sense to spend more time at the pic to make it at least technically better, so it would look better to the viewers. Am I right?

And the last thing... as usual, I'm taking this scene as something real. Sorry, can't help myself. If I met Lisa in such a situation, I'd take her home and do anything she needs. If I put Lisa in such a situation, I'd probably kill myself. Period.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:53 am

There there Serge... I know why you feel that way so, I'm not going to argue with you. However, this young chap drew a picture, so I think I better reveiw it :)

I could sit here and say the basic problems. Proportion, modeling, shading, etc. But you need some specific guidlines to stick to. I'll start by proportion;
Buildings, like the ones you have drawn, always have straight horizontal lines. Ofcourse, if you give the picture a 'fish eye' sort of veiw (which can look effective), they should remain straight using a ruler, or a simple straight object. Since there are two buildings, both should be level with each other, since they are on the same street. The dumpster (or shack that Lisa is in) should also be parallel to the buldings, just set a little further back. The pavement should also be level with the buildings, and the curb should have a step for a more 3 dimensional look.
The vertical lines should ALL be parallel. Especialy in a picture like this. Somtimes having the lines paralell takes away from a good picture, but your only a young artist, so you shouldnt aim to high.
Modeling; Lisa isnt too bad if I be honest. She does look very 2D though, and this is mainly because her modeling is out. Her head, neck especialy, is far too large. The arms are too small and her body is set behind both arms. I'll explain: When arms come out of peoples shoulders, they dont stick out like door handles. They stay close to the body. At the angle that you have chosen, the arm to the veiwers right should be above the body. Her legs should come from beneith the skirt, as if her body was round. Say, her left leg would be slightly angled to the left. Her right, adjusted to the right. But thats a small detail I guess you shouldnt worry too much about. Other details that Lisa should have, is 8 hair spikes (all roughly equal), eye lashes, and if you really wanna add angst, draw an open mouth.
Shading; Good shading can turn a bad picture into an awsome picture. I mean, look at Lawrence Stephen Lowry's work. If your going for broke, and you want a truely magnificent picture, I recomend not leaving a single object in the picture unshaded. The way to do this is to pick a light source, and use common sence! Light isnt going to travel through a building, so the building needs a shadow. This is complicated, but I'll try and explain: Depending on how 'dull' the reflectiveless is on the surounding materials means how dark the shadow is. For example, brick is going to leave a darker shadow than shiney metal. The most complicated part, is getting two shadows to cross each other, as one shadow and one shadow means a darker shadow.
Some of this you probably shouldnt need, but its usfull for when your really begining to get going.
Other little nit-picks I have is, Lisa wouldnt hold her necklace out like that. I think her arm would be bent upwards, and the necklace should just be a circle of round balls. You shouldnt see any stringed lines between them.

Ametur_Poet, addictive, or... yeah. I do have faith with your drawings. In a sence they remind me of my first drawings. I really hope you can continue practicing. But again... if I have any requests, I wouldnt mind seeing Lisa smile once again :lisa:

EDIT: Wow, typing this reply took longer than the drawing of the picture...
Last edited by Casper on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
addictive
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by addictive » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:55 pm

this doesn't sound either as an excuse or as a boasting to me, honestly
More of an excuse.
But I don't like the subject
know. Me niether. But, I still had some urge, I don't know where it came from, to draw this picture.
If I met Lisa in such a situation, I'd take her home and do anything she needs.
Who WOULDN'T? Lokk how desprate she is, kneeling in her little cardboard box.
If I put Lisa in such a situation, I'd probably kill myself. Period.
I guess you're right. But, this is a drawing. I woudn't put such a sweet little girl in such agonizing tourture for REAL.
Proportion, modeling, shading, etc.
Side note: I can NOT shade. I've tried, but I always either make it too dark, too light, or misplaced. I can't tell where it ends. I'm trying to do better on proportions.
Somtimes having the lines paralell takes away from a good picture,
That's what I was thinking while drawing. And, if you've ever been to a city like that, you should notice that not all the buildings are parrelel.
She does look very 2D though, and this is mainly because her modeling is out. Her head, neck especialy, is far too large.
I know she looks 2-D. I don't know how to fix that. And, about the neck thing, it really IS that long. Ever seen Marge without her necklace? It's huge! They look longer without necklaces.
think her arm would be bent upwards, and the necklace should just be a circle of round balls. You shouldnt see any stringed lines between them.
I thought about that. But, the bad part is, I thought of it after I posted it. And about the string, 1 or 2 of the pearls fell off for some reason.
Find Me, A poem by Chris Dominowski.

If I am lost, and you do not care, will the search ever be fair?
Why am I here? What should I do?
The answer to this, I once knew.
Why should I be found if I always must hide?
I have tried so hard, my soul has died.
Over the years, In fear I have drowned. It is finally clear; I cannot be found.

Human, a poem by Chris dominowski

I wear sunglasses at night, but I carry a flashlight.
I turn from the flame, but stare at the ashes.
I walk into the woods, and never touch the trail.
I always look at my calander, but do not care what day it is.
I am the mixture of light and darkness; I am human.

Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:19 pm

I'm not going to MST this whole thread until it eventualy gets locked. But... ahoy...
I know she looks 2-D. I don't know how to fix that. And, about the neck thing, it really IS that long. Ever seen Marge without her necklace? It's huge! They look longer without necklaces.
This, and this, and this, and this are all good examples of Simpson girls without wearing necklaces. Now you cant tell me they're THAT big. And yes, I've seen Marge without a necklace... it isnt that big mate.

I'm not going to go on, but... Hope you appreciate the time it takes to fully constructive critisise like this.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch