I'm back

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

I'm back

Post by Morpheus306 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Hey everyone you may or may not remember me but I was a member here for a while posting my art work until a certain "incident" happened and I had to lay low for a while.  I wish I could into it but my lawyers have asked I not mention it to anyone for the threat of being arrested... no no I'm joking but it's nothing special just one of the those times where I should have watched what I was saying.  But I think I've hid long enough and I can't wait to start posting again.  Just a little recap of who I am, I work as a character layout artist on The Simpsons and I've been there since August of '05.  Technically I'm an animator but I also deal with other things besides animation.  You can see my name in a lot of the newer shows(Dane Romley) as well as my work in a lot of different places like here..http://Morpheus306.deviantart.com/art/Season-10-DVD-box-interior-86550614 As before I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about the show or anything else.  I can give you a little update as to what's happening with the show, the voice actors have signed a 4 year contract and there should be new episodes later this year.  We were hit hard by the writers strike and then the voice actors wanted more money so that held us up even more.  I actually haven't worked since January but me and the other artists will be going back soon.  It's great to be back!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: I'm back

Post by archonix » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 pm

It's great to see you back, too! ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Hey Morpheus, nice to see you here again!  :marge:

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:19 am

Huzzah hooray, Morpheus is back today!

I've been watching you on dA, and it's great seeing you back here again.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:08 am

Good to see you again Morpheus, glad the issues have died down again at your end.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:12 am

What all the others said.

Welcome back, Morpheus!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Welcome back Morpheus! It's quite an honour to have you here. :)

By the way, Can we post our questions in this thread?
Crazed Sherri & Terri fan.

You can't have your characters announce how they feel, that makes me feel angry-Beelzebot.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Welcome back, and good to hear things are back on track.  :)
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:36 pm

by the way, Can we post our questions in this thread?
  I don't see why not, ask away
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Okay, just out of interest which character do find the most difficult to get on model? Sorry if my question is too minor to warrant an answer.

You can't have your characters announce how they feel, that makes me feel angry-Beelzebot.
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:33 am

which character do find the most difficult to get on model?
  Any of the main family are the hardest because they are the stars so they always have to look the best.  On top of that each director has a certain way they like the characters drawn.  Some like Homer fatter, some like Bart with longer legs, etc. so you constantly have to make adjustments.  Flanders is another tricky character to draw, especially from a rear 3/4 because of his mustache.  When we draw him talking it's hard to draw his mouth the way you want because his mustache gets in the way.
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:37 pm

Good answer. The part about director preferences explains a lot.

By the way, are you still available to help with art problems like character modeling?

Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:54 pm

By the way, are you still available to help with art problems like character modeling?
  You bet, that's what i'm here for
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:17 pm

Oh that's good. Where to start...

Okay, I remember a long time ago I made a request for a model sheet for Sherri/Terri in the "Personal trainer thread" and it was ignored (and you were quite right to, I was such a supern00b back then). Anyways, after a while I tried to get the twins right by myself, unfortunately, it's not going well at all. No matter what I try, the results are either they look un-childish (too much height in comparison to width) or the overbites go way too far out and their heads look too heavy. It's really becoming a problem for me as I'm wasting lots of time, paper and sketch pad pages trying to find something I am satisfied with. I hope you know what I mean.

So basically, I'm re-requesting because I'm really stuck in a rut right now. I'm not asking for something as detailed as an entry in the Simpsons handbook, that would be time consuming and unfair, but something in a similar vien to the old sheets you posted on these forums a long time ago, all of which were really helpful, just a basic standing 3/4 front view with the shapes and lines used clearly visible and if possible a front view because I just plain suck at front view. Would that be possible?

Edit: Could I get an answer please? I don't like being kept in suspense.
Last edited by Tyrannus on Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.