Crone Scribblings

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: Crone Scribblings

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 pm

I've just tried said core, but I'm still not sure it improves the effect I wanted. I liked the very-simple-what-the-hell-is-that-made-of look of the neon bits in contrast to the fiddly metal, and you know me: I'd have added light effects and sparkly bits all over the place if I hadn't had that idea to begin with. I didn't even outline this one. Nevertheless, I'll keep the stuff about light in mind, and if I come back later and think it looks odd, I'll fiddle with that. 
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:43 pm

Yeah, I owned that issue of Heavy Metal too...

Now this is very nice indeed! A definitely but not exaggeratedly feminine fembot. I love the (lack of) face, the various textures (particularly the smooth metal), and the various light sources you've used. Very nice pose, and just generally excellent robot construction.

I too find the glowsticks a bit too simplistic, and agree that a white core might be an improvement, but that's as much of a nit as I could possibly pick. (Her fingers look good to me, on the other hand. I think the glowsticky bits should look more like them.) The lack of background doesn't bother me: I mean, who's going to look away from that?

And now Bender's nerdbot friends are going to get thrown out of the convenience store.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks again. :E

Couple of points, to avoid answering every time:

1) Yes, the bright parts are meant to look like that. I have another version I made glowier, which I'm still in two minds about. (ETA: Done). I wanted it to look weird, plain and 2D next to the 3D metal, and it's hard to say that without sounding incompetent or snooty. 

2) I could have done endless reflections and shiny bits, but I'm not about to poke this one and eventually ruin it. This is an idea, not a full-fledged picture, like the Philippa/Lelan/Zapparella pics earlier on in this thread.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:39 pm

New colourdoodle: Philippa Fry shops for eveningwear. I stole the show's joke and Graham's dress.

Technical notes: the perspective is guesswork (read: off) and there's none of that fancy soft-shaded background stuff. Back in my day we drew flat dayglo surroundings and it only cost ninepence.
Attachments
objectsinmirror.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Hah! Very funny. Though she's either missing some teeth, or her lip goes out too far. Not sure which.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:44 pm

Which one?

(If it's reflection-Fry, that's just a smaller open mouth, like so. Non-reflection Fry has the big goofy grin and five visible teeth, which I think is the standard).
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:23 pm

Made my day.

I like real Fry's (??) comfortable body shape and pose, and how even the draping on the reflection is prettier. Very nice colouring (I like the slight mistiness of the mirror). And, well, everything's good. Space boxers!

If anything, the reflection's left... right... the hand that's down looks a bit angular, but the other one looks good.

Hilarious thing.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:42 pm

I think I see what stretch is getting at. You've got the curve of the far corner of Fry's mouth appearing to come in front of the teeth, when it should really be the straight line of the teeth hiding the curve.

So that's it really.

Very much in character for Fry of either sex. Why are those underpants so hilarious?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 pm

Okay, fixed.

ETA: Fry would definitely have spacepants.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 pm

Ahhh, perfection... ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:24 am

Excellent picture. :)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:39 pm

I find this picture hilarious for two reasons: this is so typical  of Fry/Phi, and this accurately reflects almost every dress shopping expedition I have ever experienced... sans the pretty reflection.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who -- that is, er, this doesn't represent what really goes on in women's changing rooms at all. No. Never.

ETA: A while ago I was doing some sketches of the little girl from some of Steve's pics, now named Princess Marshmallow (dragon's captive... fire... yeah, plus the existence of actual Princess Marshmallows). Now, I treat princesses with the same suspicious loathing people normally reserve for politicians, but this one grew on me and I was wondering about her personality. I ended up with 'not evil, but shouldn't be left alone around fragile objects'.

I originally had three sketches, and I'll put the other two up when they're done, which may take a while. I must make it clear that none of them are big fancy finished pictures -- they're sketches done to test out a colouring style that wasn't nearly as time-saving as I'd assumed. The colours came out pretty weak. Still, sketch, so here she is with the cute woodland friends allocated to every princess.
Attachments
marshmallowprev.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Epic Marshmallow Manoeuvre!

OK, I can see a slight scribbliness (?) in the colours on the petticoat, but this is just lovely. Disgruntled woodland friends and all. She has a very lovely and not too pretty face, and I like the outfit. The sad-looking puppy kind of won my heart, too.

Think we can get you a job at Disney?
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:56 pm

A tiny comic that follows immediately on from this picture (and this general concept).
Attachments
objectsinmirrorcomic.jpg