Crone Scribblings

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: Crone Scribblings

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Giving Futurama and OFF characters sex changes is pretty popular 'round these parts (not always in attempts to disturb one another, I swear), so I thought I'd give Fry and Leela a go.

It was surprisingly fun, and I tried to keep certain things about the character designs in mind while drawing them. Hopefully they're still recognisable. I didn't want to spend ages on the colouring, and when it came to the background I put texture on some oblongs and ran like hell. Feel free to point out all the mistakes except for that steering wheel thingy, because it changed shape in every blasted reference I looked at and it should probably be a dodecahedron or something.

NB: As you probably know by now, Graham came up with the names, and they stuck.
Attachments
lookingatstuff.jpg
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:29 pm

* Archonix makes notes
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 pm

OK, this is great fun! I particularly like female Fry (her hair is particularly pretty), but they're both good. I see nothing lazy about the colouring: it's simplistic, but nifty, and the backgrounds are nice enough.

I appreciate that male Leela would be very big. Loads of character and fun in these pictures, and I just love Fry's unfocused eyes on the last one.

I can't find anything bad about these pictures. Kudos! Kudos!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Phillipa looks like Philips' Mom. (who would be Phillipa's dad, I assume, and hence not look as much like her)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm

Thanks! :fry

gkscotty wrote: Phillipa looks like Philips' Mom. (who would be Phillipa's dad, I assume, and hence not look as much like her)
I was wondering about that, but compared side by side:

... although there should be a family resemblance there's enough difference to tell them apart. All I really did to Fry's face was make the nose and lip a bit stubbier and eyes a bit bigger; she has the same nosebump, round eyes and as many parts of man-Fry's hair as possible. Even keeping the same parents, the similarity should be no worse than Munda and Leela.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm still trying to work out what to actually say that doesn't sound like self-obsessed whining because frankly it's way better than what I came up with - you even managed to keep the eyes round, which didn't work when I tried it... also I'm stealing that hair. ;D The expressions rock, the situations are hilarious, the colouring is great. It's all great!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 pm

Yay, you posted them! ;D Colouring looks good to me too, and the steering wheel thingy turned out just fine.

Of the two of them, I think Phillipa wins overall, if only for her expression in the second picture :)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:31 am

Fantastic! Permission to jam this up at the Madhouse?  ;D
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Jam away! And more thanks to all. :leela
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon May 18, 2009 7:23 pm

A while ago Marco taught me a way of doing those crisp clean outlines I'm always moaning about. If I've got it right the technique is as follows: draw a rough blobby outline using that freehand pen tool, then nudge it into place with anchor points. The result: nice sharp lines that, because they're shapes, can be resized without losing crispness.

This is my first proper go (I call it Portrait of the Brain Slug with an Artist). The shape-making took a very long time, both because I wasn't used to it and because those little anchor point squares are really hard to see. It did get easier as things went on, but it's much more labour-intensive than the standard smooth paintbrush thing. Nevertheless, I managed to get lines which look much cleaner than my usual scribbly-ass results. And a brain slug.
Attachments
slugportrait.jpg
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon May 18, 2009 7:31 pm

That's the method I sometimes use, but I do it in Flash. I find the vector tools there more friendly.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Now that's nice! I like the elaborate shading on the picture-in-the-picture, and just generally this is very nicely coloured and eye-friendly. Plus, brain slugs. I like the little fellas, we get far too few pieces of fanart with them.

And the outlining suggestion sounds like it might be a tremendous help to other artists.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:51 pm

So unlikely to your regular style, wow and it still looks really smooth
You always tend to color like paintings, which I like so much, so this is also nice even knowing that you havent try this method before.  As far as I know.

Really good Job, Beb!
Never judge a book by its cover.....
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon May 25, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks all! (While I'm at it, we really could use a brain slug smiley).

Because it obviously had to be done, I present to you twenty-five-star General Zapparella Brannigan, and... well, I suppose 'Kif' is pretty femmy anyway, so I'll leave it at that.

Quick edit to fix up her lipstick.
Attachments
zapparella.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon May 25, 2009 12:35 am

:o what have I done...
— Piet Hein - Grooks