Maggie's afraid of the water

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Maggie's afraid of the water

Post by J2 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:09 am

I did a summerish pic with the (regular) Maggie being afraid the water and Bart being a "brave" older brother by proving to her it's safe:

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Maggie's afraid of the water

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:56 am

This is...decent. Good body language on Bart. (Nitpick: his left middle finger is too long. His ear looks a little monkey-ish, too.)

Marge, on the other hand, has a few errors: Her legs look lumpy and slightly misshapen, and the outer line of her right thigh goes well past the curve of her hip. Her eyes are off, too; even with the wall-eyed look the characters are supposed to have, there's something screwy about the placement of her pupils. One eye's looking at Maggie and the other is looking straight down. The hand supporting Maggie resembles one of Bugs Bunny's gloves more than a Simpson hand. Her sunglasses appear to have a tilt that they shouldn't, as well; the left side (that would be our right) appears to face upwards a bit more than the right (our left).

Aside from her sleeve looking a little too pointed, Maggie looks fine. Very nice expression.

I also like the complete lack of metallic shading. It makes your work look much cleaner and easier to read. Not bad, Jake.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: Maggie's afraid of the water

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:24 pm

This one's a neat idea. I do like Bart's pose (very Bart, somehow), everyone's expressions and that little toe-waggling detail on Marge. You've made it clear what's going on.

Concrit: Marge's torso is out of proportion to her limbs, and I think her crotch is too low. Her overbite is too ronded -- it needs that inward curve from her eye to her top lip. There are a few too many fold lines in everyone's clothing -- unless you really need to show a fold*, leave extra lines out or indicate them with shadows.

Hope there's more to come! One thing I'd be interested to see, if you're still looking around for concrit, is how you put your figures together (sketches with guidelines and such).

*for example, where Maggie is tugging at Marge's top. Lines that could be left out are on the right leg of Bart's shorts, and everywhere else on Marge's top (otherwise it looks like the fabric's tucked under her right boob).