TFM's Fan-art Madness

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

TFM's Fan-art Madness

Post by TFM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:42 am

Might as well make the most of it and post something. Of course, some of you already know me from dA. From what I've heard, people here have a better knowledge of art plus it's nice to get away from the popularity.

This one is more of a preview of sorts. For those who have the Crossover Crisis, you would have seen the posters in the back.
As much as I like seeing things in different styles, I prefer the original Groening style. So, I felt like 'transferring' one of the posters into the original style. Should be finished this one today, along with a Futurama image I had planned out.
Attachments
image.png
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: TFM's Fan-art Madness

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 am

Welcome aboard, TFM! I'm Chris.

Well, from what I've seen so far, you're pretty much perfectly on-model, and the inking is impeccable. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Welcome! It's good to see you here. You'll get to see a lot of my pencil sketches, so it gets crazy around here...a good kind of crazy... :amy :leela
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Hello there. :) I've just had a look at some of your dA stuff, and I love that Metropolis poster and Adopt-a-Zoidberg. You draw nice rounded Simpsony shapes -- the only concrit I can give on this WIP is that Bart's head is too broad at the top (it loses that tin-can shape). I'm not sure how it was drawn in the original, though.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Wilde Gray Yonder wrote: Well, from what I've seen so far, you're pretty much perfectly on-model, and the inking is impeccable.
Thanks for the comment on being on-model. I like to think the majority of my stuff is, but with my own personal touch.
Gulliver63 wrote:You'll get to see a lot of my pencil sketches, so it gets crazy around here...a good kind of crazy...
oh I do like crazy. Hopefully none of my little ideas will get too out of hand 8)
Assistant Crone wrote:Bart's head is too broad at the top (it loses that tin-can shape)
I know it should be only a slight curve. I think it may be because of the angle in the original image (It's hard to tell here).
It's seems tricky seeing as I want to break away from the generic 'characters just standing' drawings and do something more dynamic.

The sketch was based on a lot of thoughts I had recently. Basically, it's all to do with how one thing can be interpreted by many different people. So, what if the cartoon character was created using a completely different 'medium' - You get an all new work of art. It's confusing me a little just trying to find the correct words to use so hopefully it's understandable. I'm hoping to try a different colouring style with this one so there won't be the usual black outlines.
Sculpture
Sculpture
And you've all seen the kaspired version of this, but here is the original that made heads turn, so to speak.
Absolut
Absolut
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey TFM, Nice thread. I like.

The sculpture sketch is pretty clever. Lots of potential. (The file is pretty big though, it's hard to see without having to fish around for it.)

This version (the original) of Absolut still looks good.

Glad you're here. I'm looking foward to seeing what's coming up.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 pm

I noticed that. I'll need to resize when posting here from now on. Even though it's the same size I normally use, it just shows bigger here.
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Tried something with the sculpture pic. Not too bad, though it still has that kind of cel-shaded colouring, which I wasn't exactly going for here. But if I don't try these things I won't get better so it's worth the practice either way.
Attachments
sculpture.png
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 pm

It's pretty...I like surreal images. If someone could come up with a story, it would make a fantastic cover page.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 am

I like images that seem to be constructing themselves. Like the two hands drawing each other. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks for the comments, I guess I should try things like that more often then.

It took longer than I hoped but I finally finished the crossover picture.
Obviously some things were changed from the original to fit my way of drawing.
Quite fitting for one of the first things I upload to this site :)
Attachments
SIMPSONSFUTURAMA.png
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:04 pm

That's really good. Just made me grin, sorta like this ;D
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:50 am

That's really rather good, I like it a lot. Impressed.

Not seen the poster you "transferred" it from though. Do you mean it was more of a comic book style and you redrew it?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:15 am

Yes, it's redrawn. A number of artists supplied some artwork for the Crossover Crisis, with all their varying styles. I find it interesting to see how the same image could look drawn in different styles.
TFM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by TFM » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:22 am

I know a number of people have done Leela like this before but I couldn't resist having a go.
The pose; I think it works, but there's parts here and there that could be fixed. I'll wait till later to change/finish things off.
So there's plenty of time to get some feedback.
Attachments
img315.jpg