Ben Cain's Futurama Fan Art

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Ben Cain
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: Ben Cain's Futurama Fan Art

Post by Ben Cain » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks, all. I do indeed like to pay special attention to the backgrounds. The best parts of Futurama art, in my view, are the backgrounds. I remember when I first saw Futurama, that I was blown away by how much more detailed the backgrounds are than the Simpsons ones. You really feel a bit like you're creating your own world when you do a detailed matte painting.

Gulliver, the background on your Leela Hitomi picture looks like an auto painting, or an edit of a photograph. I suppose that's the way to go if you want a quick picture, but you lose out on the pleasure of being really creative with your background.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:55 am

It was actually a screengrab straight from the movie. It saved a great deal of time, and really added a realistic touch. That was an extremely well done movie. Corel gives me the ability to cheat by putting my art onto photo backrounds; I often use my own photos to do this.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 am

I like this one. The amount of shading is impressive, you've even shaded her eyeball. Very believable position, etc, etc. Nice! There are only a couple of minor tweaks, but they're overwhelmed by everything else.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.