Artings

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Artings

Post by Nidotamer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 pm

Yeah. Thought I would try posting art and the like. I'm not particularly great but I try. First up is just something a little pointless, and Sherri/Terri's eyes are a bit derped. This was just a little mix of two favourites, favourite Simpsons character(s) and one of the members of my favourite family of Pokemon. I was also trying out a different style or Simpsons Characters.

As far as criticism goes, best to just keep it short and preferably include suggestions to improve as well rather than just nitpicking alone, I already have a low enough opinion of my own art.

And if anyone really wants it, I could do requests.
Attachments
favourites2.png
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Artings

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

Welcome to the forum! It's always great to have new artists or writers here. I'm Chris.

I don't have anything to nitpick about; that is a very nice picture. Sherri looks younger than usual, but you can tell it's her, and the Pokémon (sorry, I don't know all their names) looks very nice. It's a cute and well-drawn picture.

You could probably use fewer gradients. They don't really add much.

You're evidently talented. Feel free to post more.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 am

I agree with Darth Vader!

But seriously, your linework is excellent. You have obvious talent and it would be excellent if you could keep working on it.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:54 am

Yay! New artwork!

If I can make a suggestion, post the work in progress sketches. I feel better about making comments on a WIP instead of a finished piece. By the time you've spent all that work and effort to post a finished drawing, it's too late for any meaningful critiques.

I do have to disagree with Bear Z. (Sorry!) I like to uses gradients to emphasize the basic shapes used to make the figure. Instead of a simple flat tone, gradients can show off the basic spheres, cyclindars, ovals, whatever it takes to make a figure.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks for the kind welcome.:) Though the colours were less gradients and more an attempt at shading. I'll get the hang of doing it properly one of these days.

Here's just another something I threw together. I wanted to have a reaction from Lisa in there but after about six tries I couldn't get the posing to look right. And it's a little messy, all of my sketches are. :P Though the thick, fuzzy lines are just to remind me what's supposed to be paint. After Kaspired's comment I thought I'd take the advice and post WIPs first.

I might need to add "expressions test" to my to-do list.
Attachments
painting.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:45 am

I have a thought/suggestion (or two) on this drawing. Do you mind if I post a sketch on your page?
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:53 am

Of course not! Go right ahead! :)
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Okay, here goes...

Think I figured out what bothered me on the first drawing. You used shading but it is, well, kinda vague. That may be what Bear Z was commenting on.

The basic structure of the figure is good, simply two spheres and a connecting line. Now just shade those spheres. So that's what I did:
Tone Study 1
Tone Study 1
I used three tones to color this. I happen to use greys but the idea applies to any color that you use. Any color can have light, medium, and dark tones.

Some details: I color each section seperately, then move on to the next. Finish the bow, then go for the top of her hair, then her face, then... See how the shading is still consistant section to section? It doesn't jump around. I left some light on the tip of her ear, as well as a bit of light under her right eye to show the thickness of her eyelid. I left her eyeballs white. If I had toned them at this scale, they would have looked weird. Also I snuck in a highlight in the blacks of her eyes.

Now let's make it interesting.
Tone Study 2
Tone Study 2
I used three tones, but it could have been easily 6 (or more) tones. You can rework this drawing using all the tones. Use the paper white for any highlights (hair, tip of nose, etc), grey #6 for dark shadows (under her right arm, hair behind her back), and grey # 8 for the cast shadows (top of legs under her skirt).

Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't let me know and I'll try to clear it up.

Just to really drive you crazy and to see what can be done with only 5 greys, take a look at the "Water Wheel" drawing... http://simpworks.com/forums/download/fi ... &mode=view
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:51 am

This is really cool to see another artist among us...you go, kiddo. Blending with those markers is really neat...Kaspired does it well.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:16 pm

kaspired wrote:Okay, here goes...

Think I figured out what bothered me on the first drawing. You used shading but it is, well, kinda vague. That may be what Bear Z was commenting on.

The basic structure of the figure is good, simply two spheres and a connecting line. Now just shade those spheres. So that's what I did:
tones 1 - 100.jpg
I used three tones to color this. I happen to use greys but the idea applies to any color that you use. Any color can have light, medium, and dark tones.

Some details: I color each section seperately, then move on to the next. Finish the bow, then go for the top of her hair, then her face, then... See how the shading is still consistant section to section? It doesn't jump around. I left some light on the tip of her ear, as well as a bit of light under her right eye to show the thickness of her eyelid. I left her eyeballs white. If I had toned them at this scale, they would have looked weird. Also I snuck in a highlight in the blacks of her eyes.

Now let's make it interesting.
tones 2 - 100.jpg
I used three tones, but it could have been easily 6 (or more) tones. You can rework this drawing using all the tones. Use the paper white for any highlights (hair, tip of nose, etc), grey #6 for dark shadows (under her right arm, hair behind her back), and grey # 8 for the cast shadows (top of legs under her skirt).

Hope that makes sense. If it doesn't let me know and I'll try to clear it up.

Just to really drive you crazy and to see what can be done with only 5 greys, take a look at the "Water Wheel" drawing... http://simpworks.com/forums/download/fi ... &mode=view
Ah-ha, I see what you mean. I'll readily admit, I really have no advanced knowledge of shading but this looks like it'll be a help! Thanks for taking so much time for all that.:)
------
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:39 am

Well I hope all this makes sense. It might seem confusing now but give it a try and see what happens.

I did re-read the description I gave, and man oh man, there is a lot of stuff there. I thought I was keeping it simple. Really! There’s no mention of penumbras, or reflected light, or… BTW, at work my nick name is “OK, Mike” “OK” stands for over-kill.

Let me throw two last drawings at you. The first is done with two tones. You don’t have to get as crazy as I described to make shadows work. The second is an all out seven tone drawing. Both of these drawings look kinda harsh because I didn’t do any kind of modeling on them. If the colors were blended they’d look softer, but still have that nice tonal thing going.
Tones 3
Tones 3
Lisa111
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Lisa111 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey! I loved your work! Btw, I'm newbie as well. I'm a bit shy about sharing my work, but within the coming days, I'll try to post them here :marge:
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:10 am

Whoops, just kinda vanished.

Have a semi-old pic to make up for it:
And a brainless doodle
------
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:27 pm

Pony twins! *dies of cute*

Very nicely done!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Heheh, thanks!

Another doodly thing. Didn't like how the lines turned out so I'm likely not going to colour.

------