Mr Scorpio video storyboard

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Mr Scorpio video storyboard

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:48 am

This year, it has been 17 years since "You Only Move Twice" aired. Great episode, right? Awesome villain and/or model employer, great Shirley Bassey-style theme. It was but missing one thing: psychedelic Bond title credits! Even McBain had one of those.

Truly, this is a challenge for the brightest minds of our generation. Unfortunately, what they got was me.

I present my storyboard for a possible video for the song "Mr. Scorpio", written by Ken Keeler. See if you can spot all the James Bond intro references. I might make a better version at some point: I'm well aware of various problems with the art (and the constellation in the first panel disappears off the side of the page).

If you want to constructively criticise, go right ahead.

The song can be listened to here.
Attachments
scorpio1.jpg
scorpio2.jpg
scorpio3.jpg
scorpio4.jpg
scorpio5.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Mr Scorpio video storyboard

Post by Gulliver63 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:39 pm

This is really exciting, as I'm in the middle of doing a fan comic. This brought back memories of college 30 years ago, where we did storyboards for a fictional men's cologne to the tune of ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man." I really admire you for doing this - I'll have to pull out those old DVD's and review the episode.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13 pm

This is highly suitable. I love the claw handshake and the hall of employees and the tombstones, but the winner is the German beer. Needs Venture Brothers-style animation, at once.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks a lot for your kind words, guys! If I had any skill with Flash, I'd try to animate this myself. Still, a storyboard is better than nothing.

Plus, it gave me the opportunity to draw a scorpion in a German barmaid's outfit. My life is now complete.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 am

I, too, like this thing and would love to see it animated!

And if you can't do that, you could make an animatic with a decent scanner and some good editing software.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 am

Neeeat! I wonder if it's possible to digitally clean up the shots/eraser marks as well as animate it.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 am

I'm aware of the horrendous quality of the reproduction. I don't think it needs more than a re-take in better lighting (would you believe the paper is actually white in real life?) and a good inking.

I wouldn't post anything this bad-looking normally, but I assumed it would look as crisp as it did on the page.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 am

Aww, I think it'll be gorgeous, either way :)
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"