Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

REVIEW: [YABF10] Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am

Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: REVIEW: [YABF10] Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 am

Haven't seen yet but approximately nobody I've seen is remotely excited and/or happy they saw it. That's a good sign.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:10 am

Spoiler
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 am

So far responses have been the predictable tat from "GO WOKE GO BROKE", "virtue signalling!" (okay that one is kinda true but I'll get to that in a bit) and "grrr wimmins" to "MAYUL TEARZZZ" and heavily ironic cries of men having fragile egos and acting like the only possibly complaint is because of hating women. Because how dare men not like something that deliberately takes a hard, agressive hostility towards them? What next, Jewish people are fragile and pathetic for disliking Billy the Heretic? Feminists have no right to be upset at Frank Miller portraying Wonder Woman as an angry, man-hating lesbian who just needs a big strong man to tame her and set her right?

... I feel like I'm totally alone in thinking the episode sucks mainly because they didn't feminist right. In fact applying a feminist lens for the first time in a long while, it's actually worse than it is otherwise even from more male-sympathetic standpoints. Because at the end of the day, for all its grandstanding about feminism it's ultimately 100% hollow. The guest stars are not only flat, obnoxious and violent (yet still presented like they're in the right) but don't even have distinct personalities or names. And they take over the lion's share of the plot. Because when your plot revolves around guest characters that we'll never see again and have no reason to get invested in as protagonists, and not who it's meant to be about, that's not a good sign. Outside of them, only Lisa, Marge and Luann get any lines, and only Lisa is actually significant to the plot or gets more than one or two lines at all. And even then Luann's only moment is tied to Kirk.

Ultimately no changes happen, a huge chunk of the female side cast are just satellites to either their husbands or to Marge/Lisa and not their own character at all, like Kumiko is still basically an armpiece for CBG that rarely speaks, a huge chunk still didn't get any kind of development or good moments. Like this was a perfect time to bring in some of the girls that got thrown to the side outside of setting up "Lisa has no friends" plots, namely Janey, Sherri and Terri... hell Allison too, Pamela Hayden is always right there and she's voiced Allison before, or hell see if Winona isn't too busy to reprise if you need a celebrity voice that badly. Sure she's not some flash-in-the-pan nothingburger but I'm pretty sure she's relevant again thanks to Stranger Things. Like, this was a huge chance to give some of the ladies a huge push and prove that they're not just throwaways or unfunny nobodies by virtue of being girls. Ain't like there's not much to work with because apparently even an idiot like me can come up with entertaining things for them. So you'd think a professional would have no problem.

And then there's Bart actually liking the reboot... which was a potentially brilliant plot point had it been used at all. Even though he was the only thing that was especially intelligent he's thrown around and outright silenced during what could have been a saving grace to the episode. Heck, why not have Lisa side with Bart when he calls out the boys near the start? Instead of going on really grating tangents for five minutes straight (wanna know what made episodes like Lisa vs Malibu Stacey and Lisa the Vegetarian tolerable? We got breaks in between and usually it was only a few lines at a time because constantly yelling is one of the most unpleasant things to subject someone towards) but it's got no significance in the end, it's not just forgotten but explicitly not allowed to have a point because apparently that's "mansplaining". Who knew being reasonable was exclusive to men and also a bad thing instead of skipping straight to violence?

And yeah that's by a mile the worst thing, they didn't feminist right. Instead going for ego-stroking and manufactured outrage instead of doing anything that'd possibly breathe some new life into the show. The problem isn't that it was a feminist episode but that it went totally limp and wholly shallow on feministing. Oh and if you have to make half your cast out of character for a premise to work (did Nelson, Martin, Bart and Milhouse have the slightest problem with Sophie being part of their team last ep? No. Did they object when girls were part of the same sports team in Bart Star and There Will Be Buds? No. But in order to pretend there's a point they have to be twisted into he-man woman haters which is pretty much most of my beef with the forth F'rama movie too...) you have failed as a writer.
------
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Spoiler
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"