The Weekly Simpsons Watch (next up, Venture!)

Talk about whatever you like here!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: The Weekly Simpsons Watch

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:46 pm

I'll be skipping tomorrow's watch. Unfortunate, but it's for a noble cause. :)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 am

Noble causes are good. There'll be more episodes!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:30 pm

On the other hand, *I* can't get this stupid thing to work.
AGAIN.

Swear, I have precisely one thing to look forward to, weekend chat, and I can't even have that anymore...
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Tonight was a night of extremes - "Some Enchanted Evening," which is in reality early S1 and shows it, written long before S1 hit its stride, and "Bart gets an F," which is easily one of my favourite episodes.

SEE is better than I remembered, but there was hardly any depth to either plotline IMO. Some funny bits but its doesn't hold together as well as most of S1.

BGAF on the other hand? What a great episode, full of funny sequences, character development for Bart and Martin, fantastic scenes with the snow day and Declaration of Independence dream, real emotion from Bart and a great response from Krabappel, and the best damn theological argument Lisa will ever make (at least for a few seasons.) Great ep, and season two is already an improvement over the better-than-expected S1.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:15 pm

And two sketches done! Probably a rather unexpected subject on the first and for the second... I was SO tempted to use the weird-looking Bob from "the Telltale head"...
Attachments
s112.png
s111.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Reminder! Tomorrow we will be watching Simpson and Delilah and Treehouse of Horror!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:49 am

An awesome combo. "Simpson and Delilah" is my go-to example for how a Simpsons episode should be written, and the original "Treehouse of Horror" is excellent and spawned a great legacy.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Turns out I'll have to skip this one too, so don't wait for me.
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Fun fact: Tomorrow, it's Two Cars in every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish and Dancin' Homer!

Don't miss it!

Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:30 am

So done sketches for "Some Enchanted Evening" and "Bart gets an F" I'll try getting the others done before tonight.

1: Mrs Botz... it's a bit hard to get her likeness down properly since the animation was quite awkward she kinda changed a lot in between shots. That said, the episode is a little admirable in the animation department for trying at least, there's some pretty decent angles in there and all, it just needed a LOT of polish. Funny enough, Mrs Botz seems to have a little background arc, she's mentioned in Bart's Dog Gets an F she appears in some wanted posters in the police station afterwards and is later seen in the same asylum Ned went to in Season 8.

2: History lessons with Sherri & Terri! (warning, some lessons may be half-truths, the rest are outright lies). I think I already gushed about this episode plenty enough.
Attachments
s113.png
s201.png
------
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 pm

May, you've outdone yourself with these! Ms. Botz looks great (I like her look here better than in the show!), and the second picture is really funny. Love Bart's Puritan clothes, and of course you can be counted on to draw good rats.

Keep it up!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:55 pm

That's a pretty good take on Ms. Botz, May!

And you totally need to turn that Bart sketch into a full pic. Maybe stick an arrow-shaped sign in the ground reading "Sunny Acapulco."
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Actually, I might do that, Stretch. Either that or remake it as a full pic.

Actually, I've still got one of the next pics in the wings and another in the works. Been trying a different way of sketching and I think it's been turning out well so I've kinda gone a bit further with these than I usually would...
------
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Well most recent (well, till tonight) pics done! Funny thing is, neither of these are just sketches. Actually, second was quite experimental, and took a good hour or so.

1. Well this one ended up looking oddly heroic... might've been down to the fact I was listening to the Adventure Line theme the whole time! Still, probably one of my better sketches!

2. The raven! Outside of a few little visual gags (such as the extra portrait for Lenore's hair) this segment spent a lot of time building up and playing almost totally serious... that is up till "Quoth the Raven: Eat my shorts!" that alone wins the raven my pick of this episode's pic. Tried to do this one all painty and stuff and surprisingly I didn't just give up on it partway though. Sure it's not exactly masterful but hey, first real try at this!
Attachments
s202c.png
s203.png
------
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:17 am

So I finally managed to catch this Saturday's watch. Here are my thoughts.

Three Cars in Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish - amazing episode, this easily qualifies as one of my favourites in this season. This is political satire at its very best, with a plot that's absurd without being zany, an amazing set up for a perfect resolution. This is the kind of humour and mockery that I cherish so much in this show, and having Marge as the ultimate heroine is just so fresh. (also, as an aside, it's interesting how the end of the episode had such a great reference to Citizen Kane, yet we were all making The Room jokes. It's the decay of society, people! )
Dancin' Homer - I loved the set up for this episode, pretty much everything about the ball game at the start ("Bart, Lisa, and Expecting"; "Yeeeah, you throw like me!"; and the Bleedin' Gums segment sent my sides flying into orbit), and Homer's rise as he mascot. If I could make any complaints, is that the ending may have been a bit too rushed (I loved how the whole family warmly welcomed Homer after his failure, and how he remarks that it didn't make any difference; this could have been fleshed out a little bit more, you know), but it worked nonetheless, so I can't bicker about it. I had lots of fun.

By the way, I know I missed several watches, but this was a wonderful idea. I'm glad you took the initiative, Steve.
-- Falcão