So I'm making music again, and I have this new song...

Talk about whatever you like here!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

So I'm making music again, and I have this new song...

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:07 am

This is the thing I've been working on for the past couple of months. It's the first of six tracks that will make my upcoming project, and it's titled "Damn Tuneless Crap-Listening Whippersnappers!". It's... not exactly easy-listening, but I find it kinda funny.

I'm not going to put this out to the general public yet, as it's a very rushed mix, and I'm still not sure if I can call it finished. So this is kind of a pre-release, so to speak.

I'd say something like "I hope you enjoy!", but I honestly have no idea if you will.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: So I'm making music again, and I have this new song...

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Heh, I enjoyed it a lot!

It felt quite a bit like some NES boss battle music, except not really, because of the... irregular nature of it? It's not repetitive like video game music.

Some parts towards the end felt a bit too similar to something else, but I can't really say what. Some video game or film soundtrack. Anyway, you're still working on it, and I don't know whether those similarities are significant enough to be a bad thing.

In short, I think this is very good. I'm going to listen to it again now.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:05 pm

Whee, that's great to hear!

I'm not particularly worried with any similarities there may be; after all, this is largely based on / influence by other artists and styles (Schoenbergian serialism, Frank Zappa, Arrigo Barnabé and others), and it's fine if listeners find some sort of reference point in it. Also, I'm satisfied enough with that mix to publish it on my Soundcloud, so there. It's done, at least for now. :) Anyway. thanks!
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm

Influence is always good. And congrats on finishing it!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:32 pm

So, yesterday I finished most of the work on my second new song, and this is the first candidate mix. I still have to listen to it a few more times to decide if it's good enough, but I don't think it would need any more than a few specific fixes. Otherwise, that's really it. As you can see, it keeps up the atonal/serialist style of the previous track, but mixes that with regional styles of music from the place where I live in. And a bit of funk for good measure. I can really visualise a group of hipster folk dances, fully dressed up, dancing to this.

The title to that one is "Serialismo Universitário", which is a joke at the use of the label "universitário" (from university, of course) to take traditional styles of music and make them commercial, as if very prevalent over here. In other words, this is Schoenberg for the masses. :)
-- Falcão
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Well that was an odd experience! Not in a bad way though, it still had stuff like rhythms or whatever (I know nothing about music, sue me:P) and some parts actually threw me off. Like 'it's over? NOPE!'

In some parts it actually sounded like it would fit a character/monster that borders between "disturbing" and "just plain silly"... I tried drawing what I had in mind...

So congrats, I think this is the first thing I've listened to that made me think "I HAVE to draw something for this"
Attachments
wut.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:36 pm

My music inspired you to draw? That's amazing! It's always nice to see how people interpret the stuff I do, too, so I can't help but feel flattered.

In fact, "disturbing and plain silly" is quite close to what I have in mind with this project. And the song is strongly rhythmic, too, so you're quite on the mark. Even though there's a fair chunk of "technical" stuff going on in this music, a lot of it is born out of pure intuition, so whatever makes sense to you is fair game. :)
-- Falcão