Game Reviews

Talk about whatever you like here!
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Game Reviews

Post by Nidotamer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:36 pm

This is more one of those "early impression" things more than a real review...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

... I wanted to gush about this game, honestly. There are so many fun little things in there and I really like the open-world idea too but the difficulty just ruins it entirely. It's not that it's hard per se, but I think Fernie might be able to guess what I mean. YUP! We're going straight into the bullshit "hard" game that's actually just cheap. Like at first I was loving it, there's a real freedom of movement to the game and nice things to be found. Sometimes when finding a camp of many bokoblins there's some feature that encourages a little strategy to deal with, such as a pushable boulder on a nearby cliff of a lamp that could be cut with an arrow and ignite the explosives inside the hideout. Unnnnfortunately this was also the place where I noticed an, honestly, game killing problem. One of the Bokoblins was black and when attacking it, it was totally immune to flinching and then one-shot me. Reminder that I was right at the beginning of the game. It's not like I wandered off into a huge stronghold and got my ass kicked by a darknut or something. It was a friggen bokoblin, in the beginning area, not that far from the start and only ten minutes into the game tops. Keep in mind that this is the same kind of enemy a bobble-headed, cel-shaded 10 year old in a cosplay outfit/pjs could take in a fight without even having a sword. So I deleted that save out of shame.

Then I tried again, got further, killed a giant cyclops and ninja chameleons, even fighting off a sheikah assassin without that much issue. Then guess what? ONE SHOTTED BY A BOKOBLIN AGAIN. And I had a full armour set and five hearts, fat lot of good they did. So I tried again. And then on the third save I got killed in one hit by a guardian, something actually threatening... except it's STILL in the STARTING AREA and part of the first quest and I would have evaded it if it was for the fucking camera turning to zoom in on it so I couldn't see where I was already running. Dying isn't the problem, getting killed by the Hinox or Sheikah would suck but it would be fair at least. All three of those deaths were because of insane damage scaling and the game itself screwing me over. All instant game overs and one of which wasn't my fault in any way.

Is this how the series is gonna go now? Random bullshit deaths? Thing is most of the enemies don't even do that much damage but then others mixed in with the same groups just kill you in 1-2 hits tops. It's like that health meter on the Nes version of Dragon's Lair, if so many things kill you instantly why bother? Well actually it's more like Dragon's Lair but without extra lives.

BOTW, you offer so much exploration and discovery, so many cool mechanics, why did you have to completely fuck it up with not even high difficulty but randomly fluctuating difficulty? It's like if Route 1 on Pokemon had Pidgeys and Rattatas around you level but at random you'd also find a level 50 Tyranitar that mops the floor with your team. How is that fair? Those Bokoblins aren't even some rare metal-slime variants that drop goodies, they're the same things except you'll break two weapons killing them and they do way too much damage. Oh yeah, when a weapon breaks, you don't automatically switch to another one if you have any in the inventory.

I really want to love you, game, but you're making it too hard. I wanted a free-roaming Legend of Zelda, not knockoff Dark Souls. The difficulty spikes at random way too early on paths you have to take in the main quest very early on. WHY?
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Dork Souls at least had the decency of being consistent* with its difficulty. Those random spikes of difficulty, though, look plain weird. I haven't read any other reviews about the game, but if that's a deliberate attempt at implementing difficulty, then that's just shitty.

* yeah, I'm still salty that the initial post-tutorial area of the game leads you towards a very difficult area of the game that you're supposed to tackle much later on, when the intended route is hidden somewhere else in an uninteresting corner. I hated that.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 am

That sounds like really bad and illogical design. I like to believe there's some way to avoid the randomly OP monsters, but I haven't played it myself.

Your review was a fun read, though!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:50 am

Well there *sometimes* is. Other times there's no way to really sneak up on the things that carry one hit kill weapons that barely tickle THEM. It basically makes the hero look completely pathetic when he's still getting killed so easily by low-level nobodies like that. Especially when the things that SHOULD be a threat aren't even. There's just several things and enemies that should be able to harm you but barely hurt you and a bunch of other things mixed in with those that can kill you instantly even with armour and extra hearts.

But yeah, it is bad and illogical design, falling into that BS "instant kills all the time = good game" thing games have been succumbing to, I was at least hoping Nintendo wouldn't sink to it. I mean Zelda 2 was hard as balls but at least it didn't randomly have enemies that killed you in one hit, they'd at least take 3-4 at full health if you invested in it at all... Hell the only deaths I had this game that didn't leave me feeling outright cheated were ones I more or less caused deliberately by shield surfing off a cliff.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Reading some of the comments about this game, it seems most of the talk is being directed towards the "survival elements" included in the game, such as weapon durability. Considering they've got this going, I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of those OP enemies is deliberate to create a sense of "danger" or some crap like that. I realise there are people who seem to like this, but I find it pretty cheap. If anything, that seems to be more influenced by this new wave of "games with roguelike elements" a la Risk of Rain, whose idea of fun boils down to brute forcing your way through haphazard spikes of difficulty, than to "hard" games like Dark Souls properly, which was based on honing skills and reflexes to the point of utter perfection. But again, I haven't played the game (and will hardly have the chance to play it anytime soon), so I'm only speculating. Only those who've put their hands on the game will know if I'm making any sense.

So, anyway, since this thread has been revitalised, I thought I'd do a little retro-quasi-nostalgic review just for the sake of talking about something, because that's how I am.

Alien Legacy

This is a game from 1994 released by Sierra On-Line and developed by Joe Ybarra, who has worked largely in strategy games such as Starflight and M.U.L.E. The game combines space exploration, strategy and resource management, and it lies somewhere halfway between sandbox sim and plot-driven adventure.

To explain better: the game starts with you as the captain of the spaceship Calypso, having just woken up from cryostasis and arrived to colonise the Beta Caeli system. You have four advisors (navigation, engineering, science and military), as well as the ship's computer, to aid you, and a couple of messages in your PDA to inform you of your situation. What you know is that you were sent on a mission to explore and colonise the system. What you discover is that, years after your departure, a new, better ship called Tantalus was sent on the same mission, and since it was more advanced, it would arrive years before you, thus making your job far easier. However, there are no signs of Tantalus anywhere, no colonies, no survivors, nothing. So now, not only you have to start the colonisation from scratch (which was the original mission), but also discover what the hell happened with Tantalus.

You begin orbiting an Earth-like planet called Gaea, in which a colony, New Terra, has already been started. You're instructed to develop the colony into self-sufficiency, which is done by constructing buildings to produce resources. The entire colony management is done by handling the production of five resources: iron ore, energy, life supplies, humans and robots. Every building requires a number of each type of resource to run, so, in other words, you need a steady supply of each of them. Factories can mine ore and produce robots (as well as vehicles, used for exploration and transport), while power plants produce energy. Habitats produce life supplies, and they also limit the number of humans you can have in each colony. During the start of the game, your focus will be on building colonies and expanding them, using vehicles to explore the nearby planets and make sure that resource production runs smoothly.

In parallel to this, you'll also receive missions to explore the surface of the planets. You do this by controlling vehicles and entering sectors, which allows you to fly your ship of the surface and examine points of interest. Each sector is a flat looping surface, so you can't navigate from sector to sector like this; instead, you just check everything there is to see, grab every resource there is, and leave. Exploring sectors is a good way of finding extra energy and ore, which can help greatly when starting new colonies. You can also find various other assorted points of interest, which can give you science points, new technology to research, and clues to find out the fate of Tantalus.

Researching tech is a fundamental part of the gameplay. There's an entire tech tree that unlocks upgrades for the buildings and the vehicles, as well as certain discoveries that are fundamental to the plot. Every research project eats up a number of science points, which can be racked up by exploring planets or building science labs on your colonies. Upgrades are important, as they allow you to reach the furthermost planets, and boost production greatly. It's essential to have plenty of colonies and making them as productive as you can; this can be the difference between having a smooth ride or a complete nightmare.

Eventually, the plot properly begins, with reports of attacks from native lifeforms in the two Earth-like planets, Gaea and Rhea. The attacks escalate until the biota, as they're called, can actually destroy buildings in your colonies and waste resources. If left unattended, this can reduce the colonies to absolutely nothing. Fortunately, scientific research can unlock tech to diminish their impact, and you can even use your ships to individually destroy the native lifeforms, even though you can never kill them all. Through space exploration, construction of space stations and research labs, you eventually find means to end the attacks, but things only get more dramatic after this.

All the plot advances either through random events, or by making certain discoveries, researching tech or having science labs running for a certain period. The plot is very well thought out and does grab your attention, and the gradual investigation of Tantalus keeps things interesting all the way through. A few events pop up to try to keep you on your toes; for example, near the beginning, Calypso suffers a problem with the cryo chambers, forcing the colonists to be awakened much faster than predicted; thus, you're obliged to build enough habitats in the Calypso within the allotted time, otherwise, you lose the game. There are a few others losing situations, but the game does give you enough time to fix things; but if your colonies are too slow, you might end up running into a dead end.

Now, my own evaluation. I used to play this game quite a lot when I was a kid, and this is one of the very few games of its kind that I managed to finish back then. Many of the situations could be very daunting and overbearing, but the story and the strategy elements were so involving that I, through many, many attempts, eventually beat it. There has only been one guide/walkthrough to this, and it does give some useful pointers, but I can claim this one as mostly my own merit. There's a lot of entertainment to be had in this game; managing the colonies is surprisingly fun, as limited as it is (you almost always build factory/power plant/habitat blocks and upgrade them in tandem whenever possible; and you can only have 16 buildings in total per colony), and exploring planets and seeing your little empire grow is quite satisfying. Making discoveries and researching tech is also very satisfying; there's a sense of progress and conquest in this game that's very palpable and fun. The obstacles you run into, like the biota attacks, will often throw a spanner in the works, and depending on how you're doing, they can be really nasty, but they can be dealt with. For example, during the first biota attacks, you can develop a shield for your colonies, which greatly reduces the damage. So, while those colonies are taking a beating, you can still expand into other planets, only occasionally checking the two Earth-like planets to make sure things aren't spiraling out of control. You'll also have to micromanage some things that are important to the plot; some technology can only be discovered by having science labs running in space stations orbiting certain planets; however, space stations can't mine ore, so you'll have to maintain a pipeline of ore from your colonies to the space station to keep it running. I always find it annoying when I have to do this, but it's an understandable mechanic that makes sense within the game and adds a layer of strategic thinking.

Still, this is a 1994 game, and there are lots of little issues that are more a fruit of its time than the result of bad design. For example, the GUI is not very convenient. Most of the time you'll have to check your colonies, their production and the location of your vehicles, and it's impossible to sort your colonies in any way. They are sorted by the time of construction, and it often makes it very annoying for you to find what you need. Also, the exploration of planets can be fun, but it can also become annoying and repetitive as it goes. Starting up colonies can be a pretty tedious process, though eventually you do get the satisfaction of watching them grow. Also, I've always been bugged by how the building upgrades work: factories and power plants have their upgrades unlocked by researching tech, some of which come over time, others are found by making discoveries; and once you unlock an upgrade, it becomes available in all colonies in all planets. Habitats, however, work differently; they become upgradeable on their own accord, depending on how many humans they hold (I think), and it varies from colony to colony. And the problem is, keeping the upgrades out of step will almost always result in deficit, so you're pretty much held hostage by the habitats.

If anything, I think this game seriously deserves a remake. It has lots of great ideas, and even though the simulation and strategy elements are quite simple, they're overall well balanced and very satisfying. It would be great, for example, to remove the cap of 16 buildings per colony and tweak the way upgrades become available, so that improving your colonies becomes a more flexible matter. Also, improving the GUI could make the process of building colonies much more satisfying and smooth, and exploring planet sectors which modern technology could be an absolute joy. Problem is, this game was never exactly a huge hit. It's certainly no System Shock to deserve a remake, and there have been other similar games that became more successful by exploring specific aspects; for the 4X gameplay, you have stuff like Master of Orion and Fragile Allegiance, while the plot-driven exploration looks pathetic next to something like Mass Effect. However, Alien Legacy is still a game I'll go back to from time to time to revisit its modest but balanced experience, in spite of its quirks and inconveniences. I loved this game as a teen and it still has a place in my heart, and if anyone here enjoys retro PC gaming, I do recommend this.

("... oh, goddammit, WHY can't I upgrade these habitats yet?")
-- Falcão
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 pm

Well I've had a bit more time to adjust. I'm still peeved that nearly everything does so much damage even in rather early game. I guess the benefit is you CAN save and load easily and it even keeps a few backsaves. I guess the main thing about the combat is it's trial and error. Keeping that in mind and spamming loads makes it a lot more manageable, it's like one of those games you have to savestate constantly. It's still ridiculous how fast the weapons are to break though, no wonder Gannon won when even the soldiers' swords broke before they even killed a semi-strong mook. It's at least nice that when the weapon breaks it's a guaranteed critical hit but you don't just switch to a new weapon automatically. Honestly the reason I'm getting along slightly better is because I've mostly avoided combat and spammed bombs... which are unlimited AND remote detonated AND come in cube form if you don't want them to roll much, they're a lifesaver I tells ya. So I guess if anyone else gets this game, USE BOMBS. Constantly. Helps that smaller enemies get flung and ragdolled and sometimes the fall height finishes them off especially if you blasted them off a horse.
------
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:17 am

Snake Pass
Year: 2017
Developer/Publisher: Sumo Digital
Genre: Adventure

Review:

THIS GAME'S CAMERA IS WORSE THAN IN SUPER MARIO 64

AND THIS GAME LAGS ON MY COMPUTER.

I CAN RUN BIOSHOCK INFINITE WITHOUT A HITCH AND THIS GAME LAGS.

FUCKING SNAKE PASS.

Rating: WHAT
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:33 pm

I'm a few hours into playing a visual novel called Doki Doki Literature Club. It's free, even the Steam version.

I'm playing it because I heard it gets messed up. It's kind of an open secret.

It's really getting messed up, in a great way.

You should probably pay attention to the content warnings though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Oh god this game.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:46 pm

OK yeah I'm proper fucked up now, and I'm only halfway through.

I mean I'm not usually a horror fan, but this is hitting several of my favourite buttons, (not just the cute anime girls one, many) and I have chills.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 am

I wish I had any horror games I could play...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:39 pm

It says "Doki Doki" but where are the birdos? Or even the shy guys?

Can't really find the content warnings though... usually don't look for 'em.
------
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:57 pm

So I went ahead and played, it's free after all. And yeah, would recommend. Maybe it oughta be streamed sometime?
------
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread to be positive for once in my entire life talk about Cook, Serve, Delicious 2, which I've been playing quite a bit, recently. I haven't played the first one, I don't know exactly what features are missing in this installment and which have been added, but I must say this is a very, very enjoyable and nice game to play, even when it's out to get you. It can be nerve wracking and hard as balls, but it's always very satisfying and engaging. I have to say that this game is the closest I've ever got to agreeing with Dwarf Fortress's maxim "Losing is fun!". Of course, I don't truly agree with it because that's a stupid, absurd thing to say, how the hell are this people even allowed to make games saying something as stupid as that-- I mean, PLAYING is fun. Or at least it should be. Losing is part of the process, and depending on how it happens and what role it plays on the game, well, it can ruin the fun. And what makes the concept of "losing" in this game is that, 1. "losing" is an elastic concept which depends on how good "gud" you want to "git", and 2. the game is 100% based on execution. As Steve mentioned in his review of the first game, gameplay consists of delivering the recipes accurately, and it really doesn't depend on reflexes, sharp timings and unfair randomness. At first, you have to rely on the visual cues to know what recipe to make and what buttons correspond to each action, and your hope to getting better is memorising this until it becomes sheer muscle memory. The thing is that, even when it gets really hard, you always feel like it's possible. There is randomness, of course, but it's not the kind of randomness that works as a replacement for design.

To me, the biggest problem that I have is with the key bindings. Indeed, at times, it feels like the designer chose the ingredients with the specific purpose of making some key bindings as counter-intuitive as possible. In a way, that's valid, because just automatically knowing which button to press based on just the name of the ingredient would eliminate the need for memorisation, but on the other hand, it can get seriously confusing. Other than that, reasons for messing up a recipe invariably come down to a mispress, or misunderstanding the recipe, or be unable to keep up with the pace, and all of those things come down to execution. But what makes it fun is that the game is visually and sonically appealing; the food looks great, and almost every action triggers a really nice and fun sound, so it never feels like you're just mindlessly pressing buttons or reacting to bland cues. It always looks, sounds and feels like food, and that's the game's greatest triumph, I guess. Besides, it's amazing how diverse the gameplay becomes, thanks to the many different ways of prepping the food. Sometimes you can prep food in advance in the holding station, and sometimes you're required to do it. Sometimes you have to prep food before cooking and sometimes afterwards as well. Some recipes have few and easy options, others can be nightmarish. And then, there are the chores. And there are side dishes you can make to make customers more patient. And you have to manage the holding stations. And there are rush hours. And all of this comes together in a very interesting and intense way. It doesn't feel like a chore; it's fun, but it's also challenging and intense.

The second installment offers you a restaurant to manage and run as you will, choosing the menu, upgrading the equipment, buying new food and so on. But there's also the cook-for-hire missions, and I admit I like those better, if only because the restaurants are all very different and required a very different mindset, but each restaurant offers different shifts with different menus and gradually increasing difficulty, so that also keeps you constantly on your toes. it's always very rewarding to get a gold medal (even when it takes several retries), and when I realise there's no way I can get a gold, or even a silver, there's the feeling of "maybe someday".

I really, really like this game. It's simple and straightfoward but still challenging and demanding, aesthetically pleasing, satisfying and charismatic. So thanks to Steve for showing this game to me! :)
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm

OK Civ 6, you've intrigued me.
Spoiler