General Venture Brothers discussion thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

General Venture Brothers discussion thread

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 21, 2016 3:44 pm

Since I'm aware that show has a lot of fans here, here's a discussion thread for things that don't fit in the episode review threads.

And I would probably never have got around to creating it if I hadn't had a realisation...

Note: spoilery discussion of the latest season ahead.

One little theory that will shock you. Clickbaiters HATE HER.

In the episode "ORB", Kano was said to have taken his vow of silence after causing "the death of a great man". At the time, this was clearly built up to be the death of Dr. Venture Sr. Since then, it's been... not really disproved, but we no longer have a real reason to believe that he killed Venture Sr. Accordingly, we need to look for another great man whom Kano might have killed before the show started.

Kano used to work for the antihero Blue Morpho,
Spoiler
Blue Morpho died way before the show began, and was undoubtedly a pretty impressive figure. I hypothesised a while back that Kano killed him (no, we don't find out either way in the Season 6). That's not why I made this post.

Why did I make this post?

When Kano was first introduced, back in Season 1, he was described as having hands strong enough to crush a boulder, and...
Spoiler
Did these fuckers PLAN THIS?!

EDIT: More evidence that bears out my theory (not really anything new, fans have been pointing it out for ages):

Kano never spoke even in the flashbacks to when he was working for Venture Sr., implying that he took his vow of silence before joining Team Venture.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sun May 22, 2016 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Re: General Venture Brothers discussion thread

Post by missy_misery » Sun May 22, 2016 7:26 am

I totally think they did. And I think Jackson and Doc might actually be doing a very good job plotting the overarching plot of the whole (though they keep losing track of the minor characters on their huge canvas and it annoys the hell out of me, and they're also bad at handling it when one of their one-shot characters gets popular and they have no further use for them and yet have to deal with being asked about them all the time) (See Kim).
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 22, 2016 9:11 am

Agree with all this. Though I'm not sure whether they lose track of the characters, or deliberately ignore them.

Also, in fairness to the writers, they do have an absolutely massive cast to handle. (It still annoys me when they keep dropping characters. I mean, an entire season without Dr. frickin' Orpheus? Seriously?)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon May 30, 2016 2:11 am

I think it's a combination of both, listening to their interviews. Sometimes (like with Orpheus), they seem to look up after writing a season and go 'oh hell, we forgot to include (character).

IMOHO the cast is super huge and unweildly, but some fat could stand to be trimmed - no Orpheus, no Triana, no Dermot and no Molotov, after establishing them all as being super important over the first three seasons, makes no sense.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 30, 2016 9:22 am

missy_misery wrote:- no Orpheus, no Triana, no Dermot and no Molotov, after establishing them all as being super important over the first three seasons, makes no sense.
This. Exactly this.

I'm okay with Molotov not having *that* many appearances, since she's kind of a... important-but-rare character, if that makes sense? Sort of like the Smoking Man of the X-Files,* if he were less evil and in a relationship with Skinner? But I'd still expect her to be in at least 1-2 episodes per season. EDIT: Heck, *more*, after the events of "O.S.I. Love You".

*I feel old typing that.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon May 30, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm all caught up now. Enjoyed very much. Warriana warms my heart. Good to have the cast in a different environment for a bit, though I do miss Orpheus. It's well-established that VB holds up our expectations and drop-kicks them into a fireworks factory, so there's not much I'd rule out...
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 30, 2016 1:58 pm

Beb wrote:I'm all caught up now. Enjoyed very much. Warriana warms my heart. Good to have the cast in a different environment for a bit, though I do miss Orpheus. It's well-established that VB holds up our expectations and drop-kicks them into a fireworks factory, so there's not much I'd rule out...
Yay! Glad you enjoyed it; I loved the latest season (my whining about dropped characters notwithstanding), especially the over-arching plot about Blue Morpho. Seriously can't wait to see what they'll do with that.

And yeah, the change of environment is cool and liberating.

EDIT: And I agree that Warriana is fun. It would have been so easy to make her entire character "lol feminists, amirite?", but it feels like the writers have a bit of respect for her completely out-of-place modern Amazon ethos. Well, as much respect as they have for any of their characters, which is very little.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:11 pm

Another observation of one of those jokes that you don't get until later. Spoilers for Season 6.

21 dressed up as a Jedi to tell the Monarch about having discovered the Morphocave under his house. At first, that just seems like 21's usual melodramatic nerdiness, but the Star Wars reference was actually pretty appropriate: the Monarch was getting a revelation about his father actually being a hero and Venture Sr.'s partner. Kind of a Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader vibe there.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:35 pm

Do you have any songs you associate with the show or the characters? I have a couple:

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road cover by Bumblefoot (I kind of prefer this one to Elton John's... wait, it was originally a Beatles song?!) I associate this one so strongly with Rusty's life in New York in the latest season and his nemesis-hood with the Monarch that I actually have to think hard to remember that it's supposed to be about an abusive relationship.

Call You Mom by They Might Be Giants. Reminds me a lot of Dean in the episode "Momma's Boys".

Feel free to post yours if you have any!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:37 am

Oh man, let me get back to this thread, I have a whole Molotov playlist.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:11 am

Awesome!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I will say that "Hell on Heels" by Pistol Annies is on the list for sure.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Another out-there theory: it occurred to me that the recurring skull motif (in the show's logo, intros etc.) might be a reference to
Spoiler
I'm fairly sure the writers didn't actually plan this (I say "fairly" only because that whole plot development had so little foreshadowing, it didn't really conflict with anything else), but... they're certainly very good at making it *look* like they did.

Or maybe it's just a reference to the fact that disembodied heads seem to get thrown around a lot in this show. Major Tom's, 24's, sure it's happened to HELPeR at least once...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:56 am

...And now I still need to pull up my Molotov playlist. Consider this a reminder!