Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:22 pm

@Steve: very good picture, especially given the short timeframe. Simpmoon stuff is always cool, and I like her simple pose.

@May: writing an appreciable amount in one hour is a lot harder than you think it is before you try it. This is well-written, and not just for a creativity hour work either. Great descriptions at the start, funny Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy joke, and nice drama without getting angsty. You seem to have a flair for characters who are in a lousy situation but still have strong relationships (whether romantic or not) that help them get through the day. I didn't see any problem with the characterisation of either of the characters. And the last line is very cute.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:02 pm

I just want to say thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate seeing what you all take away from my story. :)

(also I goddamn knew I'd get that 'lay/lie' thing wrong. I keep looking it up and still get confused about it)

Anyway, here's the next part. There was no part last week, because this took me two weeks to complete.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:54 am

Here's my bit of creativity for today: Another fragment from Sonata of the Broken Hearts. I wrote a lot less than I was hoping to, but at least I'm happy with what I've got.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:30 am

And I guess I had an update.
Attachments
allisherrithingie.odt
(18.14 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:52 pm

This continues good, Alex! Well-written and with lots of nice touches, like Meteorite's regret about not being able to eat meat any more, or Rarity taking a while to realise that Meteorite's "true" form would be the same species as Alexandra.

I already commented on Fernie's and May's stories in chat, but they're both very good. I liked getting an earlier part of Sonata: it gave me a lot more feel for what the characters are like, and the dialogue is great. May's story is engaging, with lots of cuteness to make up for the dark moments. I really like Sherri's devotion and protectiveness towards her girlfriend: they make a very nice couple.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Some non-Groening fanfic this time. I decided to write the backstory of one of my Warhammer 40k characters. No, I'm not making a miniature of her, at least I don't think so. Lady Draupadi used to be a typical corrupt noblewoman, mostly focused on charming handsome men and showing off her riches, until the day when, almost by mistake, she performed her one good deed.

Not finished (I'll probably need at least one more instalment to wrap up her story). No objectionable content; a bit of gore, but it's not graphic.
Attachments
conversion of draupadi.doc
(22 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
conversion of draupadi.odt
(42.84 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 pm

Based on the Camping prompt, Marshmallows

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:31 pm

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 am

I love all of these; everyone's doing so well!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 pm

@Steve: very cute picture (though is that the hat Homer was using to spy on Apu?) I don't see anything wrong with her anatomy, and it's a good pose.

@Alex: good chapter with a nice set-up (Rarity asking her friends what they know about Meteorite). Everyone is in character (well, I stopped watching the show before Starlight showed up); especially Pinkie and Dash are funny. Some good descriptions, and a nice bit of mystery with Trixie's line there at the end.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am

Read your fic, Chris. Evocative. I'd appreciate more.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri May 04, 2018 4:38 pm

I apologise for coming in so late, but I really, really enjoyed the stuff from last Sunday. Chris's story is off to a very strong start, very beautifully descriptive and intriguing. I really enjoyed the change of pace in Alex's story, and the integration of all those characters into this ever more engrossing saga. And Steve's pic is quite adorable, with a nice, cozy atmosphere. Excellent stuff all around!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 pm

Thank you!
Archonix wrote:Read your fic, Chris. Evocative. I'd appreciate more.
Praise for my fic in the 100th post? *blushes like an anime girl*

But is it the "Fry on the planet of gay barbarians" fic, or the "Draupadi in the galaxy of miserable civilised people" fic? No matter, you'll get more of both!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Just a heads up, Beb and I are out most of tomorrow, not due to get back until creativity hour is just about to begin - so given we're travelling on Greater Anglia, that really means until well after it has begun. Do carry on without us.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat May 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Righto

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett