I like my bands in business suits, I watch them on TV
I'm working out 'most everyday and watching what I eat
They tell me that it's good for me, but I don't even care
I know that it's crazy
I know that it's nowhere
But there is no denying that
It's hip to be square!

Thanks to Graham for the idea!

(I'll review all your work as soon as I have time, don't worry.)
Attachments
bateman begins.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:38 pm

For no raisin!
Attachments
randomsprite.png
randomsprite.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Bale Joker is brilliant. Appropriately creepy and menacing, with great work on the expression, his hand and the axe.

The sprites are a thing of beauty. I can't get enough of how clever CBG as Eggman is, and Nelson is amazing. Bart as Princess Peach looks really difficult to pull off, but you did it really well. I'd love to see him fully animated. ;D

As for me, I decided to try to write a song from scratch, so I wrote Tropical Christmas. It's not a happy song, and it reflects some of the mood that's going around in this place. Luckily, it doesn't reflect the Christmas I had with my family... aside from the bit about the heat, I guess.

EDIT: Fixed link, thanks to Steve.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:18 pm

Great Joker Chirs, you've really come on.

Great sprites, May! Cool ideas.

Great song, Fernie! Wouldn't mind getting the lyrics.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:00 am

Thank you for the kind words! *blushes so much she's gonna need white face paint, too* EDIT: For Steve's benefit, it was inspired by Graham saying that Christian Bale should play the Joker and have all the moves of Patrick Bateman. Things kind of snowballed from there.

May's sprites are great, really professional. Also fun that you did three different styles and made them all come out well.

Fernie's song blew me away for being done in such a short time, and the instrumentals are great. What I heard of the lyrics was also well-written, though I may not have picked up on all of it. But I'm happy to hear it didn't reflect your own family Christmas. :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:29 am

Thank you for the kind comments, guys! I was surprised I could write and record this on such short notice, mostly because it's hard for me to write lyrics on the spot. The piano parts sound like the kind of stuff I often improvise, but it was nice to write something out of them. The full lyrics are below. (there is one line I messed up during recording; the intended lyric is between parentheses)

Cruel sun has risen today
Bringing the heat of December
No clouds to give us some shade
And there is no time for a pause

Tropical Christmas, let's light up our palm trees
And turn on the fan
Tropical Christmas, let's go to the mall
Where the air is so cool
There's so much work to do

The family is splintered in half
But now we pretend it's alright
The presents were modest this time
I hope that next year things get better (I hope things get better next year)

The kids seem so happy, I wonder
Will they become like us someday?
I hope they can carry this feeling that I once had
For many more years
Before the world drags them down

And then we sit around the fan
Wiping the sweat off our brow
And all that we see on TV is snow
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:46 pm

Thank you for the lyrics! They're good; particularly the first few lines stuck in my mind for some reason.

And... I know Creativity Hour is for feeling positive about ourselves, but I'm plain *jealous* that you did all that in one hour. I might be able to write lyrics/a poem in that time, but composing and performing a song as well? Bloody hell. ;D
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:11 pm

Starting on my reviewing backlog:

@Alex: Sombra story prequel: I liked the part of this I'd already read, and the opening is very well-written, especially the description of Meteorite's expression and behaviour. It even made me a bit concerned, and would have been really creepy if I hadn't already known what had happened. And the new bit on the following chapter is a good addition: it paces out the story better, making it more disturbing when the threat shows up after a seemingly normal opening.

@Fernie: Pinkie and her Bane: okay, awesome title, and it's well-written, if a bit unpolished (obviously). One issue is that the tense changes to present a few paragaphs in, and then changes back to past tense. I like how you made Dainty kind of pitiful and the target of the jokes; you very clearly stayed out of Gary-Stu territory there. The way you've written his accent is good. The ponies are in character, and Twilight's scientific explanation makes sense. All in all, a really nice story.

Will review more when I have the time.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Thank you for reading and commenting my story, Chris! I admit it was fun to write this story and treat the OC as the butt of the joke (I know I addressed this in chat already, but I figured that ponies would think of "self-insert" and "OC" as the same thing because the good OCs aren't a threat, so they aren't perceived as "OCs"; therefore, they can't make the distinction. And that explains why Pinkie doesn't detect Meteorite at all). The change of tense from past to present was intentional (it made sense to me at the time...), but if it switched back to past tense, that was a mess up.

And, carrying on with the thread, this is the pic I've done. She's Lígia, a character from the (very, very old work-in-progress) story I'm working at the moment. I intend on drawing some other characters, just to test if I can depict facial features enough to make faces distinct and recognisable, and if I can reveal a bit of their personalities just from their pose and expression.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:15 pm

SirMustapha wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm (I know I addressed this in chat already, but I figured that ponies would think of "self-insert" and "OC" as the same thing because the good OCs aren't a threat, so they aren't perceived as "OCs"; therefore, they can't make the distinction. And that explains why Pinkie doesn't detect Meteorite at all).
I love that explanation. And nothing wrong with tense changes if they're intentional. (I'm looking forward to reading the next Dainty Tunes story when I have the time.)

Re picture: didn't know she's from a story, that's cool. I think your art is improving in leaps and bounds: I may be a noob, but I don't see anything to criticise other than the size of her eye (and maybe her ear is a *bit* too high, but I may be wrong). Her lips are a bit thin, but that varies quite a bit between people. She definitely has a unique and personal face, so I think you're on the right track.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Continuing and concluding my backlog:

@Fernie, "Cupcake Therapy": Well-written, and feels emotionally true. Pinkie is in character (which I find hard to do), and gives very good advice.

@May, "Baby": Cute and on-model as usual with your stuff. I like the design for the baby.

@Stretch, "Super Simpsons age chart": This was worth the wait! Only criticism I have is that sixteen-year-old Clobber Girl's knees look very narrow (I realise it's due to her bodybuilder physique, but still). Maggie going through different identities is great, and Stretch Dude's (not you) shenanigans and awesome middle pose is great. Love his height in the last pic, too. This is plain great.

@Stretch, "Peace is nice": Sketchy but on-model. His expression in the last panel is great.

@Stretch, "Cute and Dangerous": I'm only familiar with Maggie of the three characters, but they all look good, and Maggie's action hero pose is awesome.

@May, "floof": Nicely drawn, and a plausible design for older Allison. Nice folds on her jacket and lovely colours.

@Stretch, "Clobber Girl hair": looks perfectly good to me.

@May, "Floating away": I could probably have mistaken this for official art. Especially the colouring is great.

@May, "We lived": Well-drawn and spirited. Really never thought there was any risk that Russi Taylor's characters would get killed off, but at least you got a good picture.

@May, "Therapy blob": That is one big rabbit. Moe is very on-model. Good job!

And so I'm up to speed. Time to review everyone's art.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm

The coolest scene from "Joker" that we never got to see. What could be hotter than owning at a high-class club with your fancy dance moves?
Attachments
arthur youre a really good dancer.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 pm

Subject to editing, naturally, but a new story idea that's less heavy: Rarity decides to help Meteorite figure out what her dang special talent is.

Draft copy, to be titled, given a proper opening etc.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 pm

A nice start, and a very good and natural premise for a story (*of course* Meteorite would want to know what her special talent was). The whole "I'm not special" thing could easily have been milked for cheap angst, but instead you have some really open and intelligent discussion about how weird the concept of your own special talent is in the first place, with some emotion that's not over-emphasised or forced. I'm certainly interested in seeing where it's going.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am

Before I forget, my contribution for yesterday was a preliminary mix of one of the songs my band recorded last month. It was written by our guitarist, and arranged by the whole band. Pará

I was really delighted to read your comments and impressions of the song, because originally the song was written to sound like traditional Brazilian style, known as "chorinho", but we used the arrangement to turn it into something very different. Judging by your comments, we were quite successful. ;D
-- Falcão