Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:22 pm

Well, I already drew a Sexual Harassment Gorgon, so I decided to draw a more romantic picture of a human/gorgon relationship. Still WIP.

EDIT: Finished colouring in the silhouettes in the last panel. Con-crit, please!
Attachments
romantic gorgon finalised.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:33 am

Another fun little work project wiggled it's way through the shop.

Skoal 2020
Skoal 2020

This is a presentation award, very fussy, very high end. (Over the years Bono from U2, Glen Fry, Bishop Desmond Tutu, and Jimmy Carter all have received one of these. Yes, really!)

What did I do on this thing? I did all the engineering, and the jigs to assemble it. Basically made it simple enough that any dweeb can build one. I even have a jig to cut the felt padding.

The body is about 9 1/2 inches long, 3 high, and 1 1/4 thick plexiglass. The ring is 1/4 inch thick aluminum, 1 inch rim, and 4 inch diameter. The blue globe in the center is hand blown glass about 1 1/2 inch diameter, and it spins on the axis. There are two different glass globes, the blue and green version and a black with (real) gold flakes. The green and blue represent the planet earth and the axis on the award is the same angle as the planet. The Black and gold globe is used for very high end award-ees.

I had to figure out a way to drill an axis mount for the globe (it can't be off-center). Then drill through the aluminum ring (again it can't be off-center). The axle is two bits of pointy rivets (yes, really.) and the whole gizmo is tensioned, anchored with a set screw. I'm still stunned this whole set-up actually works...
Last edited by kaspired on Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Whoa, very nice! And while the design is (presumably) not your work, it's beautiful. My very small experience in metalwork tells me how difficult that work is.

You deserve to be proud.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:45 pm

It's really nice seeing the finalized shading, Chris! Always feels good to see a work of art being finished. I really like the contrast of the minimalist first panel and the starkly shaded last panel; a very poetic form of visual narrative. I don't have much of a concrit to give, really; the poses in the last panel look really good, and I like how each pose is very different, expressing something different.

Overall, really nice work! Don't have any suggestions to make.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Thank you very much, Fernie! I do feel I could have improved the silhouettes and their poses in the final panel, but I'm glad to know it looks all right.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:14 pm

It's been a while since I posted anything in this thread, but, guess what, I just have an actually finished song to show today. I don't know if this is the final mix, but it's very close to done. The song is called Rain and Cakes, and it's the first track of the continuation of The Ambassador's Visit.

I'm especially proud of how this one, because the writing process was very quick and spontaneous. Also, the flute recording is a single, unedited take, which... doesn't happen very often in my own songs.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:24 pm

A very fine piece, and doing the flute recording in a single take is impressive. Be proud! I enjoyed it a lot. It may or may not need more editing (I can't tell these things in music, but more editing is usually better than less), but as a piece, it feels finished, if that makes sense.

Another of your songs I'll listen to again.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:15 am

It may or may not need more editing (I can't tell these things in music, but more editing is usually better than less), but as a piece, it feels finished, if that makes sense.
Oh, yes: the composition and arrangement are as good as done, I'm not changing them. What still needs work is just the balancing of the instruments' loudness, effects like reverb and EQ, compression--which is what I'm talking about every time I say I'm "mixing". For example, I was listening to itagain today, and I noticed the flute is too loud at the beginning, and gets drowned out as the other instruments build in intensity--so yeah, that's something I gotta fix sometime...

And yes, in that sense, more editing/mixing is better than less, though there's always that risk of getting stuck in a loop of tweaking this, changing that, over and over again until you're no longer making any progress. That's kinda annoying.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:37 am

I think all artists have that problem. At least I do...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 pm

A while back, No More Heroes 1 and 2 were ported to the Switch, and reminded me of another long-time "I wanna see this" idea: Maggie as Margaret Moonlight, 4th-ranked assassin in NMH2, gothic-lolita sniper, and owner of the catchiest boss theme in the series.

Between her outfit, drawing just one of her guns, and the lighting, I think this is my most complex pic yet, and that's after simplifying some of the details for the sake of my sanity. Linework's still kind of shaky in parts, and I'm still not entirely sure about the lighting on the front of the gun, but I'm overall quite proud of it.
Attachments
maggie moonlight.png
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:03 pm

EDIT: I know I said this in chat, but probably your best, Stretch. Certainly as colouring goes, and the pose and outfit look great.

I think he went to Wall Street because he guessed it would have a lot of sun-warm walls to sleep on.

First Gordon Gecko pic here.
Attachments
gordon gekko sleeping.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm

One of my space marines burning down lots of trees. Hey, maybe this is how she earned her commandership.
Attachments
mankind vs nature road to victory.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:12 am

Another weird job slinked through work last week.

I'm the demolition man. Amazing what a Sawsall will do...

Demolition Man
Demolition Man
This view is the carcasses of several signs. Each 10 feet tall and roughly 18 inches square. They were stored 9 to a pallet and I had to clear off 13 (yes that's right, thirteen full sized pallets, either 4 ft by 8 ft or 4 ft by 12 ft.) See the container in the background? I filled it to the brim. Enough aluminum to build a 747.

Wanna know why?

A city (which will remain unnamed) near our shop hired us to build these signs for their parking lots. It was a massive job! All of the fabrication, all of the painting, all of the graphics, and all of the electrical work, ohmigawd! It took months to complete the job. We delivered everything to their work yard with the understanding that the city was going to install the signs. We thought the job was done.

Wrong!

One day we were told to go and retrieve every last scrap. The city couldn't use any. I've heard several reasons why, but all are stupid. We were required to store the dead signs for a certain period of time, just in case the city changed their minds. After two years the official word came to scrap 'em. I'm only guessing now but I'm sure somebody somewhere lost a job over this,
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Erk, sounds really pointless. At least you folks got paid for doing it...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:59 pm Erk, sounds really pointless. At least you folks got paid for doing it...
Sighs... Our fabrication guy almost cried when I started to slash these.

We've had other SNAFU jobs before. Unfortunately. An infamous example is we did another job for a different city, but since it was for that particular city they didn't bother to submit it to their own planning commission. Two month delay for that section of the install. THEN some of the signs were to be installed on a county run expressway. We had to get approval from the county, which took an additional six months. (BTY this portion of the install covered a seven mile section of expressway. Yet the county only gave us two days to complete the install). AND the remaining four signs were slated to be installed on a state owned roadway. Approval from the state of California took over a year.

Really!